Apple makes more Apple TV dev kits available ahead of launch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2015
Apple sent out emails late Friday notifying developers that a second batch of Apple TV dev kits are being sent out to meet overwhelming demand.

Source: iFixit

According to the note, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, Apple is making an unknown number of Apple TV dev kits available to developers who applied to the program when signups went live in September. The first wave of units shipped out less than a week later.

The same stipulations apply to the second wave of developers, who must accept terms and conditions through by Oct. 9 in order to participate. The date suggests public availability will come in the second half of October. Apple is charging the same $1 for dev kits, with shipments going out within one to three business days.

Apple's new Apple TV features a similar design to third-generation units, but is a quite a bit taller to accommodate powerful components like an overclocked A8 SoC and 802.11ac wireless communications package. Faster hardware is required to run Apple's new tvOS operating system that features a dedicated App Store and advanced Siri-based search functions. The early dev kits are going out in hopes of filling said App Store prior to launch.

The fourth-gen device also comes with an all-new remote control with Siri integration, glass-covered touchpad and motion sensors. Aptly dubbed Siri Remote, the accessory communicates with Apple TV via Bluetooth, meaning viewers are not restricted to line-of-sight use.

Apple's fourth-generation Apple TV is scheduled to launch later this month with a starting price of $149 for an entry-level 32GB model, and $199 for a 64GB version.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    All the cable providers better have their apps ready or else.
    I hope they offer deals where you can get internet service from one cable company and get the TV service from another. Looking forward to Apple's skinny bundle.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

Has an availability date been announced yet?  Or is it still an unknown date in October?

• Reply 3 of 15
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Has an availability date been announced yet?  Or is it still an unknown date in October?

No announcement, but I'll be surprised if any shipments actually arrive in consumers hands in October. Remember the "early 2015" AW dates? 

Fairly, this is hard to do. Making millions of anything is a huge undertaking.

• Reply 4 of 15
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

No announcement, but I'll be surprised if any shipments actually arrive in consumers hands in October. Remember the "early 2015" AW dates? 

Fairly, this is hard to do. Making millions of anything is a huge undertaking.

Of course tons of AppleTVs will arrive in consumer hands this month. Apple is very honest and accurate with their availability dates. There hasn't been a delay since the Mac Pro a few years back. 

As for your "early 2015" selective memory silliness, Tim Cook specifically defined "early" as Jan - April in multiple media interviews last fall (mid being May - August and late being Sept - December). Apple most certainly did ship quite a few Apple Watches in early 2015 exactly as he said. Obvious supply demand equilibrium didn't happen until July, but he never promised that would be earlier. 

• Reply 5 of 15
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

The new AppleTV looks absolutely fantastic. This might be a big hit for Apple. It's affordable, highly capable, and should integrate seamlessly with Apples growing number of mobile devices.

• Reply 6 of 15
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Just let me order already!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

All the cable providers better have their apps ready or else.

I hope they offer deals where you can get internet service from one cable company and get the TV service from another. Looking forward to Apple's skinny bundle.

Why not concentrate on what the device is instead of rumors and fantasies. There is no indication the device will launch with ‘deals’ of any kind. There is no ‘skinny bundle’ rumored or otherwise. None of what you hope for is available anywhere on any device. Incumbent carriers are going to fight to the death to prevent what you hope for. Content owners will be under tremendous pressure by existing carriers. It will be years before something like that happens.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment when the new Apple TV launches. Just enjoy what comes instead of being disappointed by what almost surely won’t show up at launch.

• Reply 8 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

The new AppleTV looks absolutely fantastic. This might be a big hit for Apple. It's affordable, highly capable, and should integrate seamlessly with Apples growing number of mobile devices.

Absolutely true but tell that to the Debbie Downers that infest AI these days. No 4K, not enough memory, no NAS support, no optical port, no multiple game controller support, no Amazon app, not an X-box or PS4 clone, their list goes on and on. It’s DOA in their eyes.

• Reply 9 of 15
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    iFixit took a dev kit they were given, tore it apart, and then posted pictures of it. Subsequently they lot their developer license and had their app pulled from the store. Now, I don't think that will happen to AI for posting those pictures, but it seems to be in poor taste to post the very pictures that caused the problem in the first place.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Absolutely true but tell that to the Debbie Downers that infest AI these days. No 4K, not enough memory, no NAS support, no optical port, no multiple game controller support, no Amazon app, not an X-box or PS4 clone, their list goes on and on. It’s DOA in their eyes.

Sadly, Amazon chose to double down on its Fire products; my Amazon app on a 2011 LG BluRay player is being deprecated by Amazon, so I don't have Amazon Prime available in my shop anymore. I mostly default to Netflix anyway. On the other hand, maybe it's time to convert my 2012 Mac Mini to a media server with TB drives, and drop a lot of my BD/DVD content on that.

I'll be picking up an AppleTV when it is available; no Fire TV n my future, but I can always watch it on my iMac 5k if I want. I'd like to try some gaming on it too.

• Reply 11 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

iFixit took a dev kit they were given, tore it apart, and then posted pictures of it. Subsequently they lot their developer license and had their app pulled from the store. Now, I don't think that will happen to AI for posting those pictures, but it seems to be in poor taste to post the very pictures that caused the problem in the first place. Seems to be in very poor taste to me.

Would it be that awful if the ai app got pulled? ; )

• Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why not concentrate on what the device is instead of rumors and fantasies. There is no indication the device will launch with ‘deals’ of any kind. There is no ‘skinny bundle’ rumored or otherwise. None of what you hope for is available anywhere on any device. Incumbent carriers are going to fight to the death to prevent what you hope for. Content owners will be under tremendous pressure by existing carriers. It will be years before something like that happens.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment when the new Apple TV launches. Just enjoy what comes instead of being disappointed by what almost surely won’t show up at launch.

Time will tell but I disagree.  

You see, TV will become standardized, globally.  Cable providers will have to dump their current STBs and use the Apple TV instead because if one cable company like Time Warner provides an App then everyone will switch to that provider.  Everyone will cut the STB cords regardless because of the SIRI integration and the flexibility of getting international content.

Moreover, everybody and their grandmothers globally are going to star providing content now because Apple has removed the barrier to entry for streaming videos just like they removed the barrier to launching computer applications globally with the AppStore.  The content will come form all over the world.  I am not sure how Apple is going to monitor the content globally.  The legal responsibility must be passed on the the App owner some how.

• Reply 13 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,165member
    [QUOTE]
    Moreover, everybody and their grandmothers globally are going to star providing content now because Apple has removed the barrier to entry for streaming videos just like they removed the barrier to launching computer applications globally with the AppStore. The content will come form all over the world. I am not sure how[/QUOTE]
    They have removed local copyright entitlements and restrictions?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

They have removed local copyright entitlements and restrictions?

Some contents have copyrights but a lot of podcasts do not. So... We'll see...

• Reply 15 of 15
    I hope that when it comes out, sites such as yours as well as Apple will provide some specific examples of what you will and won't be able to do with the 32 GB version versus the 64 GB version.