Apple begins selling official Apple Watch lugs to third-party band makers

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2015
Via a third-party distributor, Avnet, Apple is now selling authorized lugs for the Apple Watch that accessory makers can use in their own bands for the device.

The lugs are all stainless steel, and come with the phrase "Made for Apple Watch" etched on them. 38- and 42-millimeter versions are available in lots of 25 or 200. Costs range between $278.75 for 25 38-millimeter lugs, to $1,866 for 200 42-millimeter units.

Bands must conform to Apple's official design guidelines, which dictate not just dimensions but criteria like materials, durability, and functionality. Accessory makers will also likely have to buy one of Avnet's pentalobe screwdrivers, which are $12.65 apiece. Special instructions show how to install each lug.

At the moment, all of Avnet's orders carry a two-week delay.

Even without official lugs, many third-party, unsanctioned Watch bands are already on the market. These tend to offer color and material combinations that Apple doesn't, or simply a lower price. Even the company's Sport Bands are normally $49, and the official Link Bracelet is priced at $449, more than a 42-millimeter Apple Watch Sport.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

This is great...I've always been something of a lug nut, myself...

• Reply 2 of 18
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    A shoe that inevitably was going to get dropped. Should be fun.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Cool. Now some enterprising company just needs to resell them to us!
  • Reply 4 of 18
    sog35 wrote: »
    $10 a pop is very expensive

what? Don't you want Apple to make their usual profit? They ain't making watches for altruistic reasons...
  • Reply 5 of 18
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I agree.  Apple's Sports Band is just $50, and they're charging $20 for two lugs to connect a third-party band.  Low cost alternatives using these won't be possible.

• Reply 6 of 18
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

So is 16GB. ;)
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Hermés knockoff band in 3,2,1...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Those lugs probabily cost 25 cents to make.  Gross profit on it is probabily close to 90%

So you're saying Apple overcharges on accessories?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I would assume $10 is for the set, not singly. Packs of 25 wouldn't make sense.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

I agree.  Apple's Sports Band is just $50, and they're charging $20 for two lugs to connect a third-party band.  Low cost alternatives using these won't be possible.

No, read the Avnet page

Quote:

Each watch band requires 2 Apple Watch lugs (1 set).

Price Per Set: $9.18 USD

• Reply 11 of 18
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member

fit and finish.

I bought a band that had fake lugs.. not exactly precision manufacturing.. the band was lose. 

even spring bars are "expensive".. cheap-o generics 

(they just fit rolex)

http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Rolex-Gmt-Master-167XX-20mm/dp/B007SB1RW4

• Reply 12 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Not really. That is for a set and is only a little more than what they charge for lightning and 30-pin connectors.

• Reply 13 of 18
    I'm guessing there is a reason Apple isn't making these super cheap. They want made for ?Watch bands to be high quality and come from reputable sources. Providing super cheap lugs would just allow no so great 3rd parties to sell crappy bands that had the made for ?Watch seal of approval.
  • Reply 14 of 18

I wonder how long Apple keeps this lug design around. I would imagine it will be at least 5 years before the Apple Watch gets thin enough to warrant a thinner lug.

They really are one of the slickest lug designs out there. Charging ~$10 for a set (depending on size and quantity) of precision Apple approved lugs seems about right. 

• Reply 15 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The lugs are all stainless steel, and come with the phrase "Made for Apple Watch" etched on them. 

This is interesting. So no aluminum lugs at all? Even Apple doesn't apparently make them. I wonder if these are all polished, or if brushed stainless steel is available, and whether there are plans to offer different finishes down the road like anodized aluminum, space black, or 18Kt gold?

When I bought my ?Watch I remember noticing that the steel link band had a brushed finish which does not match the polished stainless. Not that I was willing to spend that kind of money, but it did surprise me, and not something I would be OK with. The Milanese by contrast is perfectly matched. But the brushed link band actually looks like a better match with the aluminum Sport than the stainless watch. Now I'm starting to wonder if Apple intends stainless lugs for all of their Sport and Watch bands. Guess we won't know until Apple finally makes something other than a built-in lug for the Sport.

• Reply 16 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

I wonder how long Apple keeps this lug design around. I would imagine it will be at least 5 years before the Apple Watch gets thin enough to warrant a thinner lug.

I wouldn't bank on that. Look how much the iPhone changed between the first generation and 3G. I would think 2 years is the most anyone could reasonably expect. Especially if there's any truth to those diagnostic ports being utilized by "smart bands" -- the whole way that's implemented could change. I do think it'll be a while before slimming down the profile would affect the bands, but there are other issues with the bezel and case design changes which might influence the shape and width of the lugs to fit flush. Likewise for the case finish. But I also don't see that as a real problem. The watch is not likely to add any major new features from one generation to the next, which means people aren't necessarily going to be looking to upgrade that frequently. Also, I fully expect Apple to enable multi-watch pairings with a single device so that people won't necessarily get rid of their original watch to get the latest, and continue to rotate it into their daily use the way watch people do now. Or maybe they will have to buy all new bands from say gen 2 to gen 3, but then they sell their old watch with a complete collection of bands to fuel buying a whole new collection of bands for the new watch. 

• Reply 17 of 18
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    boredumb wrote: »
    This is great...I've always been something of a lug nut, myself...

And yet you wonder why you're always going in circles. :lol: