MacBook Pro unusable when unplugged

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited October 2015
Hi everyone,

My 2010 mbp runs horrifically slow when on battery power. It's completely fine when plugged in. This started immediately following an upgrade to El Capitan, but isn't fixed by downgrading. The problem persists when booting from the Apple hardware test disk and even usb install drives.

Activity monitor says there is a kernal task sucking up ungodly amounts of cpu cycles when on battery (up to 2500%). This god back to normal levels as soon as I plug it back in.

Apple hardware test give me a 4sns/1/40000001:vpor-2.489 error, which I understand is a power bus voltage sensor error (v for voltage, p for power bus). Though I don't know anything more than that. Smc and pram reset don't help.

I've hit a dead end on what to do next. The fact that this started in my first bootup after upgrading to el capitain makes me really suspicious. But this would be the first coincidental malfunction I've had after an upgrade. I would really like to know what part this is so I can replace it myself or, even better, figure out what component this is and solder in a new one! I seriously doubt that is going to happen, but you guys have surprised me before!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Try triple zapping your PRAM, yes, 3 times in a row. Sounds like your issue is similar to mine, which cleared up after I did this. Look up a tutorial online.