Watch: Newly released video shows 'softer side' of late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
Clips of an internal Apple video show the "softer side" of Steve Jobs as he addresses Apple workers in 2007, just one day before the launch of the first-generation iPhone.

The video was shown to Apple workers again on Monday on the fourth anniversary of Jobs' death, ABC News said. In the TV network's highlights, Jobs encourages people to hug Apple Store clerks, makes links between his management style and The Beatles, and thanks staff for their hard work on the iPhone.

In one shot viewers can see that a number of other prominent Apple executives were present, such as designer Jonathan Ive, then-COO Tim Cook, and Scott Forstall, once the head of iPhone OS (later iOS) development. Cook eventually replaced Jobs as CEO, and Forstall was forced out of the company in 2012 after poor reception of iOS 6's Maps app.

ABC said that it aired the clip in light of two more critical movies, Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs and the Alex Gibney documentary Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine. Apple executives have lashed out at both films. Senior VP Eddy Cue called the Gibney film an "inaccurate and mean-spirited view of my friend," while Cook recently derided both movies as "opportunistic," despite not having seen either of them.

Apple has close ties with ABC. The latter is owned by Disney, which has its CEO, Bob Iger, on the Apple board of directors. Jobs himself was once on the Disney board as the corporation's biggest individual shareholder. Those shares have since transferred to his widow, Laurene Powell Jobs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I'm not sure that the Beatles were the best examples of good management. While they did tend to bring out the best in each other creatively, by the end of their career, they weren't writing together and they each were basically backup musicians for the other. A number of their recorded songs were recorded without the other members in the studio at the same time.

And McCartney sued the others to break up the Beatles when they didn't choose the Eastman's (his wife's family) management firm.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I don't get it, this is so skewed. Jobs always credited employees for doing a great job, in every keynote. He even asks all the attendees to give them a standing ovation, I was there I saw it.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Man Christian Bale would have been good
  • Reply 4 of 29
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

Well played, Tim, well played. 

• Reply 5 of 29
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow Apple's on a full court press here. WSJ has a story with Ed Catmull talking about what these movies don't get about Steve.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow Apple's on a full court press here. WSJ has a story with Ed Catmull talking about what these movies don't get about Steve.

Eventually, you need to push back against made up horse-shit with something real, especially when that horse-shit is being peddled to millions of people as something approaching fact. 

• Reply 7 of 29
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I don't get it, this is so skewed. Jobs always credited employees for doing a great job, in every keynote. He even asks all the attendees to give them a standing ovation, I was there I saw it.

Was going to make exact same point. Except I was going to say how this "news reel" made me throw-up in my mouth.

"You see, ladies and gentleman, Steve could (begrudgingly) smile once in a rare while, when he wasn't beating little children in China, or throwing a software engineer down a flight of stairs".

Shit...

Not only did Jobs frequently praise "Apple" (the people). I've seen him holding back tears while doing it.

Here's what Apple needs to do right now (rather than feeding-out this lame internal video). They need to suspend all current TV advertising spots, and replace them with the Steve Jobs narrated version of Heres To The Crazy Ones.

• Reply 8 of 29
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Eventually, you need to push back against made up horse-shit with something real. 

A good example is how they focus on him being an ass when he was young concerning if he was the father of his girlfriends child. Which is not exactly a unique situation, we see it all the time.. He did turn around when it was proven via a paternity test. The line (you got to see she looks like you) is such a lead to make him look like a complete jerk. heh

Then, the fact that he not only did reconcile, but became very close with his first daughter in later years is completely, and intentionally, left out of both bios. Leaving you would a bad taste. People, especially when they are young, do stupid stuff.. Jobs wasn't any different. /shrug

• Reply 9 of 29
    cornchip wrote: »
    Well played, Tim, well played. 
    rogifan wrote: »

Don't forget to include AppleInsider in your conspiracy theories! /s
  • Reply 10 of 29
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

I actually met the guy. Twice. While working at Apple, I took the elevator just so I could intentionally run into him. He was incredibly passionate, and smiling the whole time, nice and his personality was very charming. He even remembered my name the second time. The third elevator ride was with him and Larry Ellison and I did not say a word lol 

• Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I'm not sure that the Beatles were the best examples of good management. While they did tend to bring out the best in each other creatively, by the end of their career, they weren't writing together and they each were basically backup musicians for the other. A number of their recorded songs were recorded without the other members in the studio at the same time.

And McCartney sued the others to break up the Beatles when they didn't choose the Eastman's (his wife's family) management firm.

I think Steve was referring to the early Beatles before Yoko Ono.

Tim Cook saved the Beatles(Apple) by firing Yoko(Scott Forstall).

IMAGINE if Chapman had missed and killed Ono instead!

• Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Here's what Apple needs to do right now (rather than feeding-out this lame internal video). They need to suspend all current TV advertising spots, and replace them with the Steve Jobs narrated version of Heres To The Crazy Ones.

They should do that every year on his birthday.

• Reply 13 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Good! Apple needs to hit back hard when they are unfairly maligned and constantly attacked. Steve was constantly haranguing reporters who attempted to paint Apple in an unfair light and today it should be no different.

• Reply 14 of 29
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

People, especially when they are young, do stupid stuff.. Jobs wasn't any different. /shrug

You call it stupid. I call it a man on a mission. I've been there with the mentality and I know many others who were, too. A person sees their calling in life and nothing is going to stop them from achieving greatness.

That said, I look forward to seeing the Sorkin film and will interpret in my own personal context.

• Reply 15 of 29
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I reserve the right to hate sorkins movie (I'll wait until I see it) but of course jobs was like this. He was the anti-CEO CEO. Just look at the publically available WWDC session from 1997/98. It's full on plain speaking. No corporate bull. No reality distortions.

And I'm sure internal speeches were the same.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I don't know- I think this leak smacks of unnecessary desperation. I had always heard he was eccentric and maybe a bit of an asshole, but that didn't make me want his products less. It's not like I had to marry the guy to enjoy the fruits of his very exacting labors.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I actually met the guy. Twice. While working at Apple, I took the elevator just so I could intentionally run into him. He was incredibly passionate, and smiling the whole time, nice and his personality was very charming. He even remembered my name the second time. The third elevator ride was with him and Larry Ellison and I did not say a word lol 

And it's the second time that speaks volumes about your character as a person, that and your choice of screen name.  

Good on you bro.

• Reply 18 of 29
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

A good example is how they focus on him being an ass when he was young concerning if he was the father of his girlfriends child. Which is not exactly a unique situation, we see it all the time.. He did turn around when it was proven via a paternity test. The line (you got to see she looks like you) is such a lead to make him look like a complete jerk. heh

Then, the fact that he not only did reconcile, but became very close with his first daughter in later years is completely, and intentionally, left out of both bios. Leaving you would a bad taste. People, especially when they are young, do stupid stuff.. Jobs wasn't any different. /shrug

Besides that, there's no treatment of Jobs' marriage and his later 3 kids. Even Isaacson's book shows him to be a good father and husband, and also tells of his many acts of kindness to his friends and former employees, some way beyond what most of us would have done. But the only kind of thing the movies mention (not the Boyle movie, the other one) is that when Jobs was 20 years old he lied to Wozniak about how much money he sold something for, and shorted Wozniak.

You would think the movies would show a story of redemption - how an immature, egotistical genius lost his company, then looked within himself, and became a truly great man and visionary. But no, the writers/directors have to pander to the Jerry Springer crowd.

• Reply 19 of 29
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

...the writers/directors have to pander to the Jerry Springer crowd.

That is what it ultimately comes down to.  :(

• Reply 20 of 29
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Jobs had a complex and diverse character? Shocker!