Bowers & Wilkins debuts new Zeppelin Wireless speaker with support for Apple's AirPlay

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
Bowers & Wilkins on Thursday launched the Zeppelin Wireless, marking the now comparatively rare addition of another AirPlay device to the speaker market.

Unlike its predecessor, the Air, the Wireless lacks a Lightning dock, making it completely reliant on wireless input beyond a 3.5-millimeter jack and an Ethernet port. Aside from AirPlay however, the speaker also supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, and Spotify Connect.

Bass is provided by a 50-watt, 6-inch subwoofer. This is flanked by two 1-inch tweeters and two 3.5-inch midrange drivers, all four of which are rated at 25 watts each. An upgraded digital signal processor automatically converts to 24-bit, 192-kilohertz sound.

In keeping with the wireless philosophy, setup and firmware updates are handled via the Bowers & Wilkins Control app, which can also be used to handle volume levels and playback. Basic volume and play/pause buttons are present on the speaker itself.

The Zeppelin Wireless is already on sale in the U.K. for ?499. The U.S. version will cost $699, but is not yet ready to order online. The product should reach retail stores on Oct. 15.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    I hope they support 5 Ghz. I have a B&W A7 and it constantly drops the signal. It's is pathetic and embarrassing.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I had a wireless Bose and I hated it. The connection issues were relentless. In the end I bought a Sony for half the price and at least as good a sound. Mine is an old model with a lightning dock, and an FM / AM radio, as well as bluetooth connection. From my experience I cannot see the attraction of an all wireless solution. The dock on mine can be pushed in to disappear if you don't want to use it, but for us its always out. It is the main charger for iPhones and iPads and connection issues are a thing of the past... and hopefully the future.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Ouch - for that price why don't you just get a Sonos and forgo the Airplay angle? They're supposed to have Apple Music support soon anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Still using a Bose SoundDock. Not the best sounding thing in the world, but convenient and it charges my phone, and no wireless woes to deal with.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Ouch - for that price why don't you just get a Sonos and forgo the Airplay angle? They're supposed to have Apple Music support soon anyway.

1. Sound Quality. The Sonus stuff just doesn't sound very good.

2. Personally, I don't need a complicated multi-room system, just good sound in a single remote location where I can get the music from iTunes on my computer. I rarely use my phone or iPad for music in the house, so BT doesn't do much good.

• Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

I hope they support 5 Ghz. I have a B&W A7 and it constantly drops the signal. It's is pathetic and embarrassing.

I have the same issue with my A5. The only way I could get airplay to play continuously is from iTunes on my mac and set the mode to "Multiple". It is meant for multi-room synchronized playing, but I think somewhere in that setup, Apple made the streaming more fault tolerant.

• Reply 7 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Bowers & Wilkins sound quality blows away Sonos. They are expensive but totally worth it. 

• Reply 8 of 17
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Apple has apparently vastly improved AirPlay in its latest OS's according to an article on 9 to5Mac. If so the wireless audio dropout issues and hopefully sound quality too, will now both see big improvements.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I wonder what the wifi range is like.
    I have a LibraTone Zipp which looks nicer than this but it's wifi range lets it down.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I have an A7 with an Airport Extreme and no problems at all
  • Reply 11 of 17

I have an A7 with an Airport Extreme and no problems at all. What router are you using?

• Reply 12 of 17
    I use wireless extensively and have to say that when you have a house full of wireless airplay and bluetooth are very inconsistent. It really surprises me that Apple would allow this. Now it is not to say maybe I am doing something wrong but I am fairly proficient with tech.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Bowers & Wilkins sound quality blows away Sonos. They are expensive but totally worth it. 

I have never heard any B&W product that did not impress. One of my more fond audio memories was listening to a pair of B&W 801s hooked up to 500 watt per channel amps and sourced to a Thorens TD-124 turntable. Just breathtaking.

• Reply 14 of 17
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

That's what I wanted to ask, are they selling brand name or sound quality that you can kick back close your eyes and enjoy?

• Reply 15 of 17
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

I use wireless extensively and have to say that when you have a house full of wireless airplay and bluetooth are very inconsistent. It really surprises me that Apple would allow this. Now it is not to say maybe I am doing something wrong but I am fairly proficient with tech.

Considering how much bandwidth can go with latest WIFI tech, why on earth sound be inconsistent, even if 90% of the frames were dropped and resent, the packet should still come on time to not make a difference. There would be no latency, you'd hear nothing different than a direct connection. People stream 4K movies wirelessly (even several from the same server) without a hitch.

• Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Considering how much bandwidth can go with latest WIFI tech, why on earth sound be inconsistent, even if 90% of the frames were dropped and resent, the packet should still come on time to not make a difference. There would be no latency, you'd hear nothing different than a direct connection. People stream 4K movies wirelessly (even several from the same server) without a hitch.

Not sure if I worded it properly.  When the connection is good no issues with sound.  It seems to cut in and out a lot on my system.  Some times it is flawless, other times it cuts in and out constantly.  Not sure if I am stating it right but I don't believe it is about capacity or throughput...

• Reply 17 of 17
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I'm a huge fan of Bowers and Wilkins, every product I own from them, which is quite a lot, is absolutely fantastic. I recently bought a pair of P5 wireless earphones to replace my wired ones, though they also come with a wire in case the battery runs out or you want use them with a DAW or other type of amp, extremely professional grade stuff and they sound incredible. The built quality is also impeccable, I find them to be much better than the Bose, B&O or even the Beats, we'll I never liked the Beats so.