Overclocking new iBook (CHUD tools)

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Heya,

I looked on xlr8yourmac.com and there was a note by Eugene (hey Eugene! ;-) )saying that the old CHUD tools had been pulled. <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ibook_2002_overclocking.html"; target="_blank">http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ibook_2002_overclocking.html</a>;

Does anyone have the old ones still? send me an email or a link plz!

ZO

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I have a copy...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I think I do too.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    so anyone going to post a link or just leave everyone hanging?

-alcimedes
  • Reply 4 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    no link
  • Reply 5 of 9
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Can someone email it to me [email protected]
  • Reply 6 of 9
    This is very frustrating. We know Apple legal. Anybody who puts these up is going to get lots of nasty letters. Apple has the right to limit products in the interests of Apple's legal liability for toasted processors, so the argument holds water, but a small increase like that is hardly immediately threatening. Here's hoping it'll spread on LimeWire.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well screw that. send me the files and i'll post a link.

what's illegal about posting an older version of software?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Rhetorical: Is it legal to copy CDs because the music is played on the radio?

Most software licenses retain ownership of the software and the right to distribute it, even if the software is offered for free. That is, you can download the software, and once you have it you can continue using it as long as you like, but you cannot give it to anyone else, even though it was free.

There are good reasons for this. The most minimal example I can think of is a company giving away an old game on their site as advertisement for a sequel. If I download the game and let people get it off my FTP, they downloaders aren't exposed to the advertising. The reason I say that's a minimal example is that it is the exact same software, it is being offered for free, and it is no threat to anyone, but it is reasonable for the company to demand that I stop providing it.

In this case, though, the software in question is very dangerous because it can set the clock to 2 GHz, which will fry the chip for certain. Apple is [I]legally obligated{/I] to use its right to demand the software is not distributed, otherwise it is being negligent of its customers, in breach of its warranties, and so on.

Moreover, Apple has the right to protect itself, since somebody who wanted to find out how high a chip could be clocked could install OS X on a firewire drive and boot from it, then overclock the processor. If the processor is damaged, the would-be overclocker can disconnect the firewire drive and send the computer to Apple with no evidence on the hard-drive that the overclocking tools were even installed. Apple is then faced with a warranty claim on a computer that they cannot easily prove didn't slip through quality assurance by accident. It is possible for a chip to test correctly at 700 MHz and burn out later because, say, a bad block on the hard-drive in the energy-management routines clocked it up. Apple stands to lose money if the old software is distributed, so Apple has the right to demand that the software, is not distributed by people who don't own it.

In fact, many software licenses, particularly from OS or hardware companies like Apple, retain all rights of use. That is, Apple retains the right to distribute the software and later demand that people stop using it, even if they obtained it legally and even if they paid for it! These are a grey area because another company may have intellectual property it cannot access without a piece of software that Apple is yanking. Cases like that are usually settled out of court through compensation or provision of an equivalent piece of software because neither company is sure it will win, and the laws about what is allowed in a license agreement aren't clear. There are some things that cannot be contractually agreed. For example, I cannot sell myself as a slave. If one of those "click through" contracts that software opens up included an agreement to buy the next version when it came out buried deep in the text, that wouldn't be enforceable, but a subcription service is for something like Everquest, though it's essentially the same agreement on a monthly basis. There's a lot of latitude, so companies put more in the agreement than is necessarily legal and then send threatening letters to people doing things the companies don't like.

It's all about who has more lawyers than whom. In some cases, the Electronic Freedom Foundation helps out if someone has created freeware that a company claims illegally adds functionality to the company's software, but if the person offering an allegedly illicit download hasn't created anything new, he or she is basically up the creek.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I guess I'll have to wait for the inevitable shareware o/clocking tool then...

lol j/k

Barto