Mac gains marketshare in third quarter amid continued PC market slide

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2015
Apple saw its worldwide Mac sales rise 1.5 percent over the third quarter of 2015, while U.S. shipments jumped 7.3 percent, bucking an ongoing downward trend in the overall PC marketplace.

Source: Gartner

According to the latest data from market research firm Gartner, Apple shipped 5.6 million Macs worldwide during the three-month period ending in August, good for a 7.6 percent marketshare. The performance placed the Cupertino, Calif.-based company in fourth place among top PC vendors.

Lenovo again led the pack with just under 15 million units shipped for a 20.3 percent share of the market, but that number was down 4 points from the same time last year. Also dropping 4 percent was HP, which took 18.5 percent of the market on sales of 13.7 million units. Aside from Apple, third-place Dell was the only other top-six firm to end the quarter with positive growth, gaining a 0.5 percent share on 10.2 million shipments.

Acer Group and Asus rounded out the list with a respective 5.5 million and 5.2 million unit sales for 7.4 percent and 7.1 percent of the market. Compared to last year, Acer and Asus suffered negative growth of 19.9 percent and 10.1 percent, respectively. The PC market drooped 7.7 percent year over year as shipments hit 73.7 million units.

Source: Gartner

Apple saw even higher rates of growth in the U.S. as Mac took 14.8 percent of the PC market on 2.5 million shipments, good for third place. Year-over-year gains came out to 7.3 percent, second only to Lenovo's massive 22 percent jump in marketshare.

HP was top dog for the quarter with 4.7 million shipments good for 27.8 percent of the market, a 2.1 percent year-over-year increase. Dell was No. 2 with 4.1 million unit sales and 24.2 percent of the market, a rise of 3.2 percent. Apple and Lenovo followed in third and fourth place, while Asus' 769,000 unit shipments translated to a 4.5 percent marketshare.

Apple's position was likely bolstered by strong sales of new equipment introduced earlier this year, including the 12-inch MacBook and refreshed MacBook Pro lineup. According to the latest rumors, Apple could launch a 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display next week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Not sure why Lenovo is growing so fast. Anyone know why?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    Well as Lenovo took over the IBM business then maybe the old saying 'You never got fired for buying IBM' still holds true in this day & age?

Most businesses I work with use Thinkpads so maybe that's part of the reason?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    It's because of the Yogas. They're good.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Because Lenovo makes high quality notebooks.

I'm actually surprised Apple's PC hardware business is still growing: if they keep making idiotic decisions, people who use them in a non-design, professional environment will desert them en masse. Look at El Capitan's removing soft RAID support from Disk Utility ... I mean really, was it more important to make the software look pretty, Jony?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I really doubt Mac Book is a significant factor here. Airs and MBPs are still hot sellers.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    So, would SurfaceBook be counted in this numbers? Does the Surface, since it's running Windows desktop even though it's a tablet?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Lenovo's growing? It's declining YoY. You wonder how come they have absorbed other businesses, until these results, it's consolidation of options in the enterprise and federal markets for certified vendors.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member

Apple is selling more than one computer for every two Dells.  

I remember  less than 2% market share in 1997 and 1998.   Now, at 7.6%, they are not selling almost 4x as many computers, but probably 15-20x as the market has grown.  How many billions of dollars does Apple make from Macs?  A lot.  It's revenue (not profit, mind you) is third behind iPads and iPhones.  

• Reply 9 of 28
    eriamjh wrote: »
    Apple is selling more than one computer for every two Dells.  

I remember  less than 2% market share in 1997 and 1998.   Now, at 7.6%, they are not selling almost 4x as many computers, but probably 15-20x as the market has grown.  How many billions of dollars does Apple make from Macs?  A lot.  It's revenue (not profit, mind you) is third behind iPads and iPhones.  

A decade or so ago there was an article saying Apple made over 90% of the "PC" profits. I would assume that is even higher today as they've moved to less expensive Macs that are still profitable, the demise of the WinPC market due to the iPhone, iPad, and, yes, Android, and their general rise in mind-share from a growing percentage of Mac buyers.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    I thought Apple numbers were sold but not shipped like everyone else and iPads are lacking from Apple! Please add iPads sold so this comparison will be true, not false as it is.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

How many billions of dollars does Apple make from Macs?  A lot.  It's revenue (not profit, mind you) is third behind iPads and iPhones.  

Trailing 4 quarters: Macs 25.2 / iPads 24.3

• Reply 12 of 28

According to the chart... Lenovo is actually down 4% from the same quarter a year ago.

In fact... everyone is down except Apple and Dell.

Or do you mean how did Lenovo became the #1 PC manufacturer? That's easy... they sell more units than everyone else.

They may be crappy $300 or $400 laptops... but they count.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Lenovo make some damn fine laptops. The base rMBP ($1199) and T450 customised to match ($1151) are within spitting distance in price, on the Mac front you buy a nice design and OSX with a better screen, on the Windows front you have the better CPU (though it is 28w for Lenovo vs 15w) buy more tech or business oriented features: the ability to upgrade HD/RAM, Fingerprint scanner, Dock support, far more ports.

I'm very happy with both, but my god Apple makes trackpads on their laptops that are worth paying extra for.

• Reply 14 of 28
    karl snow wrote: »
    I thought Apple numbers were sold but not shipped like everyone else and iPads are lacking from Apple! Please add iPads sold so this comparison will be true, not false as it is.

Apple's numbers are actual numbers shipped and billed for. All numbers by other companies are estimated numbers shipped, including quantities shipped and not billed for.

It is into this steaming stew that MS management said to themselves, "Why don't we do what Apple did and just skim off the top cream?" Soon, MS will understand what IBM realized many years ago - there is no money to be made, even if you make superior hardware, when the OS is the same. (Samsung has found this out as well regarding Android, but let's confine this to Windows/OSX discussion).

MS may think they are doing what Apple is doing by controlling both the HW and the SW, but MS does not have an exclusive on the SW so they cant do anything HP or Dell can do too. Because Apple has an exclusive on the OS they can tweak the HW/SW combo to deliver unique performance.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Lenovo also puts spyware in its computers.  So buyer beware.

• Reply 16 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Apple's numbers are actual numbers shipped and billed for. All numbers by other companies are estimated numbers shipped, including quantities shipped and not billed for.

It is into this steaming stew that MS management said to themselves, "Why don't we do what Apple did and just skim off the top cream?" Soon, MS will understand what IBM realized many years ago - there is no money to be made, even if you make superior hardware, when the OS is the same. (Samsung has found this out as well regarding Android, but let's confine this to Windows/OSX discussion).

MS may think they are doing what Apple is doing by controlling both the HW and the SW, but MS does not have an exclusive on the SW so they cant do anything HP or Dell can do too. Because Apple has an exclusive on the OS they can tweak the HW/SW combo to deliver unique performance.

It will be interesting to see how much "commoditization" the Surface Products see once the OEM's start copying. That will definitely drive down the demand from the high end as the OEM's muddy the waters. Maybe that is what MS expects.

Still, the click baiting has been strong with these latest Surface Products;

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/9479443/everyone-is-copying-microsofts-surface

"Everyone is copying Microsoft's Surface"

Uh, no, but it's nice to see that Apple is forging ahead with iPad as the definitive tablet, extending the performance and capabilities of iOS, and adding tvOS for the home. At the same time, Apple continues to evolve the Mac Product line and OS X. 

I'd like to see an article, "MS makes lemonade with hybrids", because doubling down on Windows across PC's and mobile seems fraught with pitfalls, but at the same time, I don't recall such clear and divergent marketing between these two companies. 

The market will ultimately decide the winning strategy.

• Reply 17 of 28
    majanimajani Posts: 92member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Lenovo also puts spyware in its computers.  So buyer beware.

Anyone that doesn't instantly reformat a store-bought computer is a moron that deserves spyware, frankly.

• Reply 18 of 28
    majani wrote: »
    Anyone that doesn't instantly reformat a store-bought computer is a moron that deserves spyware, frankly.

So I walk into an Apple Store, buy an iPhone or Mac, you're saying I'm a moron that deserves spyware because I didn't "reformat" it?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It will be interesting to see how much "commoditization" the Surface Products see once the OEM's start copying. That will definitely drive down the demand from the high end as the OEM's muddy the waters. Maybe that is what MS expects.

Still, the click baiting has been strong with these latest Surface Products;

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/9479443/everyone-is-copying-microsofts-surface

"Everyone is copying Microsoft's Surface"

Uh, no, but it's nice to see that Apple is forging ahead with iPad as the definitive tablet, extending the performance and capabilities of iOS, and adding tvOS for the home. At the same time, Apple continues to evolve the Mac Product line and OS X. 

I'd like to see an article, "MS makes lemonade with hybrids", because doubling down on Windows across PC's and mobile seems fraught with pitfalls, but at the same time, I don't recall such clear and divergent marketing between these two companies. 

The market will ultimately decide the winning strategy.

The market has already decided that "Windows" is not in its future... Adults today have gone through high school, college, and entered the work force with the idea "Windows" was their father's and grand father's computer... and not in a good way.

• Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAJANI View Post

So I walk into an Apple Store, buy an iPhone or Mac, you're saying I'm a moron that deserves spyware because I didn't "reformat" it?

I'd say anyone who bought a computer that needed to be reformatted day-one, is a moron for selecting the wrong computer.