Macbook Pro Crashing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited October 2015

Hi everyone;

Over the past couple of days, I've had my 15" retina MBP crash three times, two times it just went black screen, then rebooted (and said, your Mac restarted because of an error, do you want to re-open stuff that was open before), but the third time it displayed the, "your mac has shutdown because of a problem, hold the power button to restart it" message, and that time when it started up it had the option to submit an error report to Apple.

The error report (which I can't claim to be able to decipher) seemed to suggest to my untrained eye that the suspect libraries were related to Nvidia, so I'm wondering if there is something going on with the graphics card.

I ran the PRAM check, and that showed up nothing.

One of the things I'm wondering, and the reason I'm asking this here (I've not had chance to go to the Genuis Bar yet), is if this might be related to El Capitan?  I can't think I've installed any other software in the past few weeks.

Does anyone know if the device drivers for the video hardware were changed in El Capitan?  The fact that things ran fine for a week after I upgraded the OS makes me think that this is probably just a coincidence, and I probably have a hardware fault, but it's worth asking.

Kind of hoping there is an unrecoverable hardware fault though - I fancy a new Mac!