Does anyone else feel that the current Mac Laptop line isn't great?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015

Hello,

I know I don't post much but I constantly lurk. I am not trying to be a troll or anything. I am just stating my opinion.

I am looking to buy my girlfriend an apple laptop. I would ideally like to get it before christmas, but I suppose I could wait a while after that. With the Canadian dollar being junk, I am afraid the already high prices will raise even more with the new model introductions.

The macbook pro is a wonderful machine- I would call it over powered for what she needs though, its slightly heavy but could be fine. By the time you add 256gb of ssd you are looking at 1799 + 13% tax.

The macbook air is a decent machine. The only thing is the max of 4gb of ram. Although this is fine for today, I am still nervous about only 4gb. Now maybe you guys can set me straight on this. I know with windows 4gb of ram basically is just a make work project, you will do more loading than you will using the internet. Also the screen is non "retina" I don't think this matters a ton but if you are paying similar amounts you might as well get what you can out of it. 

Macbook - Perfect for what she needs but it is a first gen product and with the current processors doesn't allow it to do more than web browse. I am not sure if it would stutter at all with HD youtube as I know very little about the Core M.

TLDR - Is 4gb ram in the macbook air enough for at least 2 more years of general use? Is the macbook able to do minor photo editing? Play 1080p video's in VLC without stutter? 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    Every MacBook Air can be configured with 8GB of RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Originally Posted by polarissucks01 View Post

Play 1080p video's in VLC without stutter? 

VLC is utter garbage. It’ll stutter no matter what you do. Grab eight gigs and play everything through QuickTime or iTunes (which don’t need eight; just get it anyway).

• Reply 3 of 3
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Not sure where you got those ideas about the MacBook. I have 8 GB in mine and, especially since moving to El Cap, it is powerful enough for much more than web browsing. Great screen, excellent battery life, very light and portable, and it handles video with no problems. For advanced photo editing it is perfectly usable - for example a DXO OpticsPro export with prime noise reduction takes about 3 times longer than on my 2.8 GHz Core i7 MBP.