Apple's redesigned Magic Mouse 2 & Magic Keyboard gain integrated batteries, Lightning ports

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2015
Apple's second-generation Magic Mouse and rebranded Magic Keyboard both feature rechargeable lithium-ion batteries and are recharged by Lightning cables, as part of a fall 2015 redesign of both Mac desktop accessories.

The all-new Magic Keyboard features a full-size design while taking up 13 percent less space than its predecessor. It also features a new scissor mechanism on the keys, which are adorned with Apple's new San Francisco font.

Apple says the reengineered scissor mechanism increases key stability by 33 percent while also optimizing key travel.

The new integrated battery is also said to last about a month or more between charges. Apple Magic Keyboard is priced at $99.

The Magic Mouse was also upgraded on Tuesday to a new second-generation model, which Apple says has been redesigned with a lighter, and sturdier construction. Magic Mouse 2 is also said to feature a smoother glide thanks to an optimized foot design.

Magic Mouse 2 is lighter than its predecessor, and features fewer moving parts thanks to its built-in battery and continuous bottom shell. Like the previous model, it features a Multi-Touch surface, but it does not offer Force Touch input like the Magic Trackpad or latest MacBooks.

All of Apple's new Bluetooth accessories recharge via Lightning cable, like the iPhone and iPad. The Magic Mouse 2 is priced at $79.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    Better now with the built in battery in the mouse. I sure wish Apple would address via software the ability to limit the touch area on the mouse to avoid accidental input. I don't know about anyone else, but for me it's a real problem. I've developed a bit of a claw from using the mouse ever since it first came out. ?????
  • Reply 2 of 127
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    No pressure sensitivity is definitely a let-down. Would have really liked some capability to use pressure sensitive brushes (admittedly with limited functionality without all the usual pen input data) in Photoshop when I'm away from a pen tablet.
  • Reply 3 of 127
    polymnia wrote: »
    No pressure sensitivity is definitely a let-down. Would have really liked some capability to use pressure sensitive brushes in (admittedly with limited functionality without all the usual pen input data) Photoshop when I'm away from a tablet.

Save that extra cash and get the iPad Pro. Don't go cheap on us now.
  • Reply 4 of 127
    Save that extra cash and get the iPad Pro. Don't go cheap on us now.

I've never gone cheap on Apple product ????

I'll certainly get the iPad Pro on day one.

That said, I still find myself with a mouse in my hand at a MacOS device much of the time. Some basic pressure sensitivity would be most appreciated. Especially if I'm sitting at a coffee shop where I'd rather not setup the whole Wacom kit.

I'm sick of carrying batteries and a charger in my gig bag, so I have already ordered two Magic Mouse 2's
  • Reply 5 of 127
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I use a Magic Mouse and I definitely want to upgrade to this.  Batteries seem to run out all the time but then again, I don't shut it off :)

That said, some pressure sensitivity would have been awesome in the mouse too.  Maybe I'll just have to switch to the new trackpad and give it a whirl. Maybe I'll get both :p

• Reply 6 of 127

Although I wasn't expecting it, I'd really hoped we'd see an extended keyboard.

At this point for me the wired keyboard (with numeric keypad) and mouse (new magic mouse looks nice, but not worth throwing out old one) are still the best combination input devices for a desktop machine (assuming no space limitations).

• Reply 7 of 127
    So where's the version of the Magic Keyboard with the numeric keypad?

I was really hoping that the new keyboard would have (a) a numeric keypad, at least as an option, and (b) illuminated keys (which I would actually find very useful in my dingy room). It has neither. So, quite a big disappointment.

I like the look of the new trackpad, and might get one of those, but this new keyboard's a big disappointment, and the new mouse is nothing to write home about either.

I wish Apple would introduce a new, improved WIRED keyboard with the new key mechanism, full set of keys (i.e. including numeric keypad) and backlighting. I'd much rather have a wired keyboard than a wireless one, and those new/improved features would make it worth my while to actually buy a new keyboard, even though I'm happy with the one I've got already (which came with the computer).
  • Reply 8 of 127
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Yea I really don't understand why we can't also have a wireless keyboard with a number pad. To me this one of those areas where there is still great interest, but Apple has pulled the plug anyway. What are they improving by taking away the number pad from people? What legacy are leaping ahead of?

Just cause the smaller one looks sexier on the desk?

Also, backlit keys. This has been a staple of the MacBook Pro for a long time, and something you still can't get on any fair priced PC. Why not on the desk too? Is it assumed that if you're on a desk, you're in an office, so turn the effing light on? I guess that makes sense.

Oh well. I'm gonna give this one a shot since I wanna try the new butterfly keys and I really like the idea of rechargeable via Lightning.

• Reply 9 of 127
    ^^^ How about someone from AI contact Apple PR and ask them why they don't offer a wireless extended keyboard?
  • Reply 10 of 127

I use Eneloop batteries in my current Apple keyboard and trackpad. They last well over a month. I always have a set in a charger so all it takes is less than minute to swap them out. I do not like the idea of having to plug in my keyboard, trackpad, and mouse to recharge them - that is a step back from the whole "wireless" concept, no? I wonder how many people will simply leave them plugged in all the time.

• Reply 11 of 127
    zroger73 wrote: »
    I use Eneloop batteries in my current Apple keyboard and trackpad. They last well over a month. I always have a set in a charger so all it takes is less than minute to swap them out. I do not like the idea of having to plug in my keyboard, trackpad, and mouse to recharge them - that is a step back from the whole "wireless" concept, no? I wonder how many people will simply leave them plugged in all the time.

Better than having to swap batteries every so often.
  • Reply 12 of 127
    So where's the version of the Magic Keyboard with the numeric keypad?

I was really hoping that the new keyboard would have (a) a numeric keypad, at least as an option, and (b) illuminated keys (which I would actually find very useful in my dingy room). It has neither. So, quite a big disappointment.

I like the look of the new trackpad, and might get one of those, but this new keyboard's a big disappointment, and the new mouse is nothing to write home about either.

I wish Apple would introduce a new, improved WIRED keyboard with the new key mechanism, full set of keys (i.e. including numeric keypad) and backlighting. I'd much rather have a wired keyboard than a wireless one, and those new/improved features would make it worth my while to actually buy a new keyboard, even though I'm happy with the one I've got already (which came with the computer).

I'm quite disappointed by this omission as well. I hate typing numbers on the little number strip.

I ordered a Logitech K750 which is a solar charging extended wireless keyboard. I know a couple people who use that one. I was holding off thanks to AI's rumor a few weeks back that new input devices were on their way.
  • Reply 13 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Better than having to swap batteries every so often.

Really? Having unsightly cables connected to these devices is better? Switching back to "wired" mode while waiting for the batteries to recharge is better? Having to either throw away the device or replace an expensive, built-in battery every few years is better than spending a few dollars for a couple of AA rechargeable batteries? To each his/her own! :)

• Reply 14 of 127
    Wow, $400 just to swap all peripherals. That hurts.
  • Reply 15 of 127
    zroger73 wrote: »
    Really? Having unsightly cables connected to these devices is better? Switching back and forth between "wired" and "wireless" modes is better? Having to either throw away the device or replace an expensive, built-in battery every few years is better than spending a few dollars for a couple of AA rechargeable batteries? To each his/her own! :)

I don't think there is a usable wired mode on the Magic Mouse 2. The photos I saw show what looks like a lightning port on the bottom of the mouse.

For me, leaving spare batteries and the associated charger at home, rather than stowed in my (already overloaded) gig bag is well worth the trade off. I always have a lightning cable with me, so this is a net reduction in Mac paraphernalia.
  • Reply 16 of 127
    polymnia wrote: »
    I'm quite disappointed by this omission as well. I hate typing numbers on the little number strip.

I ordered a Logitech K750 which is a solar charging extended wireless keyboard. I know a couple people who use that one. I was holding off thanks to AI's rumor a few weeks back that new input devices were on their way.

Not bad: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac?crid=26
  • Reply 17 of 127
    $79 for a mouse, $99 for a keyboard, $99 for a stylus. The price of Apple's accessories is becoming ridiculous. Sure the keyboard and mouse are smaller and lighter but using less material shouldn't equal a price hike. The new trackpad is $129 but at least it comes with force touch.
  • Reply 18 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Really? Having unsightly cables connected to these devices is better? Switching back to "wired" mode while waiting for the batteries to recharge is better? Having to either throw away the device or replace an expensive, built-in battery every few years is better than spending a few dollars for a couple of AA rechargeable batteries? To each his/her own! :)

Rechargable replaceable batteries suck, so don't pretend they don't. They last like 2 days. Ok I'm exaggerating a tad, but they aren't good. And never would I managed to always have 2 in the hole, ready to be used, so to speak.

There is already a lightning cable plugged into my iMac sitting on my desk to connect my iDevices on occasion....in fact where its sitting right now it could be moved 2 inches and plug in to my keyboard, or trackpad. I'd say its a stroke of genius and a little of captain obvious to have them rechargeable by the cable that is already there, unused most of the time.

And given where they put the Lightning port on the Magic Mouse, no one is going to be leaving that plugged in, lol!

• Reply 19 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by portcity View Post

$79 for a mouse, $99 for a keyboard, $99 for a stylus. The price of Apple's accessories is becoming ridiculous. Sure the keyboard and mouse are smaller and lighter but using less material shouldn't equal a price hike. The new trackpad is $129 but at least it comes with force touch.

If you compare them to the flat out junk made by the rest of the industry, Apple accessories seem like a bargain to me. 

These are not just accessories, they are the input devices themselves! The only part of the iMac you actually touch. They ought to be the damn best thing that can be made, and who cares what they cost?

This is one place where the PC industry has not even tried to catch up in terms of quality.

• Reply 20 of 127
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Going to be fun recharging 300 keyboards/mice on a monthly basis