Apple's renowned attention to detail led designers to fret over the sound of sliding new Magic Mouse

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sandor View Post

At work, I can find & change batteries at work in far less than 2 minutes, and get at least two weeks of daily use out of them.

Now i will have to actually quantify how long AA 1900 mAh batteries last in my mouse... off the cuff, i would say it is actually 4 weeks of daily use.

We have 5 such mice in my department, as well as a few photographic flashes that use AA batteries, so we simply have a 16 battery charger plugged in full time - makes finding batteries a snap.

Cool. So you bought an extra bunch of shit and it works almost as well.  

• Reply 62 of 121
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Naturally you had cloned your drive before the update so you could revert to the previous OS, right?

Cloned no, as it wasn't a new machine.  I did do a time machine backup though.  That allowed me to restore to Mavericks, but every attempt at migration to El Capitan ended up with a dead Finder, so I had to do a clean install and migrate manually.

• Reply 63 of 121
    Let those of us who have suffered from Apple's renowned (lack of) attention to detail hope, this time, the Bluetooth S/N ratio is not so poor that it makes and breaks connectivity several times a day. My Apple Trackpad and Apple Wireless keyboard never lose connection and the signal is always strong.

Although now obsolete, MM1's battery chamber did not have the correct industry standard dimensions for AA Batteries, resulting in the Mouse occasionally generating a stream of unstoppable mouse clicks until the MM was turned off and on again. Shoddy design meant battery connectivity would make and break as often as Zsa Zsa Gabor marriage oaths.

Whilst the new features of the Magic Trackpad 2 look great, until I've read more about the performance of all these attention seeking input devices, I'll stick with using Mobe.e's induction charging Magic Bars for my trackpad and wireless keyboard and the Magic Charger for MM1.
  • Reply 64 of 121
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    joelsalt wrote: »

no. I bought nothing extra.

I simply know where my batteries are.
    joelsalt wrote: »

no. I bought nothing extra. and I get almost the same battery life with 8 hours daily use & no down time to charge.

did you read what I wrote?
  • Reply 65 of 121
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Having to place the mouse on its back to charge, is dumber than dumb. Here's a dumbass question: how hard would it have been for Apple to put the Lightening port on the front, so that when you had to charge the mouse, you could also use it?

Steve Jobs said: design is not how things look, but how things work.

Thanks for that video, clearly it means Apple has no fucking clue what it's doing, and has thrown out all of Jobs philosophies, right?

Or, a rational person would realize that the mouse lasts a month on a 2 hr charge, so God forbid that one day a month you can take 2 SECONDS to plug the mouse before sleeping/going out/while not using the computer, instead of needing to use it during that infinitesimally tiny amount of time that it needs to be charged. 

You think Apple wasn't aware of this? The only thing "dumber than dumb" is your post, whining about something that is 100% a non-issue. 

• Reply 66 of 121
    rogifan wrote: »
    Shame about that 5400 RPM, 1TB hard drive though...

I know, 5400rpm - What year are we living in exactly? 1995?
  • Reply 67 of 121
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    mstone wrote: »
    I think the reason they didn't put it on the front was purely a visual design esthetic driven decision. You don't have to turn the keyboard upside down to charge it. The mouse just doesn't have a flat surface anywhere along the sides. Upside down it is really wobbly and depending on the table surface it might eventually scratch the glass. I think a charging cradle like my Logitech would be more elegant. Just my opinion.

Maybe not with contacts, but wireless (Qi-type) charger would be great here. Just park your mouse on it when not using - done. No connectors anywhere, no need to up-side-down your mouse.
  • Reply 68 of 121

Magic mice have a clear polycarb surface, or, if it's not polycarb, it's something not glass.  They've never been glass.  

• Reply 69 of 121
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

This renowned attention to detail means you can't use the mouse while charging.  Not that I care all that much, would never use one of these terrible things anyway, Trackpad all the way.

• Reply 70 of 121
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

The same way your router is plugged into the wall, but still provides your "wireless" Internet.

I can access "wireless" internet anywhere in my house. Can I charge my Watch "wirelessly" in the same manner?

• Reply 71 of 121
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Because when I'm not using my mouse, I don't have to plug it in. I can just park it on top of the Apple Watch charger and it's always topped up.

You're charging it wrong.

Also, plugging it in will takes just a fraction of second more but charge much more quickly. Thinks about it.

• Reply 72 of 121
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Having to place the mouse on its back to charge, is dumber than dumb. Here's a dumbass question: how hard would it have been for Apple to put the Lightening port on the front, so that when you had to charge the mouse, you could also use it?

Steve Jobs said: design is not how things look, but how things work.

I do Imagine that it will warn you with plenty of time for you to recharge it.
    I like it being rechargeable. I already use Apple rechargeable battries for my trackpad
    I will keep the old trackpad just in case the new one does run out of power.
    Can't wait to try the new trackpad.
  • Reply 73 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sandor View Post

no. I bought nothing extra.

I simply know where my batteries are.

no. I bought nothing extra. and I get almost the same battery life with 8 hours daily use & no down time to charge.

did you read what I wrote?

Yes - you have to own a 16-AA-battery charger system?

Are you telling me you just happened to own that anyway???

• Reply 74 of 121
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Although now obsolete, MM1's battery chamber did not have the correct industry standard dimensions for AA Batteries, resulting in the Mouse occasionally generating a stream of unstoppable mouse clicks until the MM was turned off and on again. Shoddy design meant battery connectivity would make and break as often as Zsa Zsa Gabor marriage oaths.

That explains why this never ever happens to me. I buy only .2mm undersize batteries.
  • Reply 75 of 121
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    What puzzles me is the use of Bluetooth 4.0 rather then 4.2
  • Reply 76 of 121
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    have not had that problem on the two i use regularly.

I've used mine furiously for half a decade and never had that problem.

Hmmmm.....
  • Reply 77 of 121

Now that the new Trackpad is out, I hope someone like Mobee puts out a product to extend it as a numeric keypad and also allows it to be used as the trackpad. 

Using the Mouse on a 27" 5K iMac really requires a lot of space for the Mouse to move. The Trackpad is much better for this. I'm really looking forward to picking it up when it's available here.

• Reply 78 of 121
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Yes - you have to own a 16-AA-battery charger system?

Are you telling me you just happened to own that anyway???

yes, i am.

did you read? apparently not.

in our production environment, wireless mice came about a decade after rechargeable batteries.

• Reply 79 of 121
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    gqb wrote: »
    2 minutes for 8 hour charge
    How long does it take to find and replace batteries?
    Takes me about 30 seconds to pull the spare set of Eneloop's out of my top left desk drawer and pop them in (40 seconds for my keyboard or trackpad since I have to unscrew the battery cover with my fingernail). I'll even give you the 15 seconds to pop the old ones in the charger, spin my chair around, and plug it into the wall.

Either way - first world problems, indeed.
  • Reply 80 of 121
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    I am glad to hear this. The last one was a poor design with the bottom often grinding across the desk and the battery compartment popping off.
    Hmmm. Haven't had that problem, even when I knocked the mouse from my desk onto the (carpeted) floor.