First look: Inboard M1, an electric skateboard that you can control & lock with your iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
The forthcoming Inboard M1 electric skateboard offers Bluetooth connectivity to both the iPhone and Apple Watch for controls, information, and even securing the device. AppleInsider had a chance to go hands-on with the accessory Friday.

Photos by Victor Marks.

Inboard was on-hand with a prototype build of its board at the Launch Mobile, Wearables & Internet of Things summit this week in San Francisco. There they demonstrated how its upcoming product will offer unique connectivity with Apple's ecosystem, giving riders more control and insight over their board.

AppleInsider previously reviewed the Yuneec E-Go, another iPhone-connected electric skateboard, and found it to be a great product. But the Inboard M1 offers a number of unique differences that allow it to stand on its own.

Most notably, the Inboard is pitched as the world's first skateboard that features motors inside the wheels. Featuring electric motors housed within the two rear wheels of the board, the M1 lacks the sight of an undercarriage where other, competing boards house their motor.

And with a user-replaceable battery integrated into the deck itself, the Inboard M1 boasts a sleek design that makes it very similar in appearance to a traditional, non-powered board.

In our hands-on Friday, Inboard told AppleInsider that the unique wheel-encased motors on the M1 come with a two-year warranty, while the battery will last 5 to 6 years. And unlike other products featuring integrated, non-removable batteries, users can even buy a spare battery for the M1 and swap it through a unique, discreet door atop the board.

The M1 weighs 14.5 pounds, and the model we tested on Friday remains in the prototype stage. The final product will have a 10-mile range and can cruise at speeds up to 24 miles per hour, the company says.

In our tests, the iPhone app pairs quickly to the board. Control is intuitive --?simply tap and hold anywhere on the screen, and slide as you hold it for more or less speed, allowing for eyes-free safe controls.

You have to tap and hold to get the control screen, and you can't leave it without tapping a specific 'X' on the display, so you can't accidentally lose the controls while riding.

The app includes a slower beginner mode, as well as a mode for more advanced riders. It features default settings for for maximum speed and acceleration, but users can customize these to their liking.

The app will also allow users to "lock" the board's wheels, preventing it from being used, helping to deter theft or unwanted riding.

Inboard is even working on an Apple Watch app, which will display speed, battery life, and distance range at a glance.

The M1 is also compatible with its own proprietary, physical controller which will ship with the board. Like the iPhone app, it's used to control speed while riding.

The Inboard M1 is now available to preorder for $1,399. Orders submitted today have an estimated shipping date of February to March of 2016.

Spare batteries and physical controllers will also be available for purchase separately. Replacement rear wheels shells will also be available to buy for $29.99 a pair, while the front wheels are standard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    amazing commute option. but 24mph sounds deadly. think i'd be pretty happy with 6mph.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I always wanted to learn how to skateboard and now I am old and fear has come in. Can it help me learn and remove he fear of skateboarding? Oh and that also at a reasonable price (maybe 1/3 or 1/4 the price)
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Lol. There's no way I'd hold my $949 iPhone while trying to skate let alone try to control it too!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    That's 24mph with an adult rider, right? Not 24 mph with no one riding it. That would be impressive from something the looks like a regular skateboard.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's 24mph with an adult rider, right? Not 24 mph with no one riding it. That would be impressive from something the looks like a regular skateboard.

Well, close. Amazon plans to use these to deliver parcels in no-fly zones. /s

• Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

I always wanted to learn how to skateboard and now I am old and fear has come in. Can it help me learn and remove he fear of skateboarding? Oh and that also at a reasonable price (maybe 1/3 or 1/4 the price)

No device will help you with your fear. That's all up to you. Change your attitude. Muster up come courage and balance it with a reasonable amount of care.

I've owned Segway Personal Transporters since 2002—13 years. I've glided almost daily since. I've fallen only four times—only once did I get mildly injured (a few scrapes from kissing the asphalt). I'm 65, and still gliding daily. I love it. It's exhilarating and fun.

Although it's probably a little safer than this skateboard, I'd be intrigued to at least try it. But I'm not looking for a safety net. Your only safety on a Segway or this thing is your ability to be alert and trust in your own abilities.

And don't wait for the price to come down. That's backwards. If you want the experience, put out more. Find ways to make more money. Save up. Waste less, etc. That's what I did to get my first Segway PT. It was over $5K. The new ones are about $7K with tax.

Waiting is a waste of time. You're squandering your life.

• Reply 7 of 14
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

amazing commute option. but 24mph sounds deadly. think i'd be pretty happy with 6mph.

You can set it lower. that's Max Speed.

• Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

The fact that it puts you in control by regenerative braking should help you overcome the fear. They tell me that you need about 10-20 minutes on it on a flat surface to overcome the "I've never used a skateboard before" feeling. I have never skated, and I rode it around the convention floor. I only had to step off it when I hit a taped down cable and didn't have enough speed to clear it. I didn't have enough speed because I was hesitating.

• Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes. 24mph max speed with an adult. But it depends on where you ride it whether that makes sense to run it at that speed. In a city, I wouldn't. If I were out on an open path? maybe.

• Reply 10 of 14

For a product like this, you have to ask yourself "if I use this product, is there more or less of a chance that I'll be seriously injured by using it". There is no scenario in which I find myself answering "less".

• Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

For a product like this, you have to ask yourself "if I use this product, is there more or less of a chance that I'll be seriously injured by using it". There is no scenario in which I find myself answering "less".

As your attorney*, I strongly recommend that you never leave your residence?

*not an attorney, not your attorney. reference to HST.

• Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

The fact that it puts you in control by regenerative braking should help you overcome the fear. They tell me that you need about 10-20 minutes on it on a flat surface to overcome the "I've never used a skateboard before" feeling. I have never skated, and I rode it around the convention floor. I only had to step off it when I hit a taped down cable and didn't have enough speed to clear it. I didn't have enough speed because I was hesitating.

Hmmm...Maybe I will give it a try when I get a chance. I still think that price is rather steep.

• Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

No device will help you with your fear. That's all up to you. Change your attitude. Muster up come courage and balance it with a reasonable amount of care.

I've owned Segway Personal Transporters since 2002—13 years. I've glided almost daily since. I've fallen only four times—only once did I get mildly injured (a few scrapes from kissing the asphalt). I'm 65, and still gliding daily. I love it. It's exhilarating and fun.

Although it's probably a little safer than this skateboard, I'd be intrigued to at least try it. But I'm not looking for a safety net. Your only safety on a Segway or this thing is your ability to be alert and trust in your own abilities.

And don't wait for the price to come down. That's backwards. If you want the experience, put out more. Find ways to make more money. Save up. Waste less, etc. That's what I did to get my first Segway PT. It was over $5K. The new ones are about $7K with tax.

Waiting is a waste of time. You're squandering your life.

I have used Segway and I have mastered that after riding it  less than 10 minutes and I really enjoyed it. The driving and mechanism used in both the devices is probably same (gyroscope), but I thing Segway is still safe. Again, cost is the issue. Paying $5K (and now $7K as per you) is still expensive considering there are some local laws that doesn't allow use of Segway. Back to skateboard, you don't know my affordability scope, so please don't advice me on saving up and wasting less. The point I was making is that they need to bring the price down to be competitive - You need to check out http://boostedboards.com, ;

• Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

I have used Segway and I have mastered that after riding it  less than 10 minutes and I really enjoyed it. The driving and mechanism used in both the devices is probably same (gyroscope), but I thing Segway is still safe. Again, cost is the issue. Paying $5K (and now $7K as per you) is still expensive considering there are some local laws that doesn't allow use of Segway. Back to skateboard, you don't know my affordability scope, so please don't advice me on saving up and wasting less. The point I was making is that they need to bring the price down to be competitive - You need to check out http://boostedboards.com, ;

the Inboard doesn't use gyro - you control it with a handheld controller they provide, or your phone as the controller. They're better than boosted boards in a few ways - the motors are in the wheels, so there's no drivetrain slop. The batteries are replaceable, so you can have multiples charged and swap as needed. There's no battery or drivetrain hump under the board, the profile of the board is similar to non-powered longboards. 10mi range, 24mph max speed. It's pretty impressive. I agree that it's a lot of money, but do you have to lower price to compete with products that are lesser? It's a little like suggesting that Apple should have made the 200 dollar netbook.