CBS, NBC round out 'big four' networks on Apple TV, exclusive M2M channel also debuts

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2015
Apple on Tuesday added streaming options for the last two of the "big four" U.S. broadcast networks -- CBS and NBC -- to the Apple TV lineup, as well as an entirely new, exclusive fashion channel dubbed M2M.

CBS, which is the most-watched network in the U.S. featuring hits like "The Big Bang Theory" and "NCIS," includes access to the CBS All Access subscription service. It costs $5.99 per month and allows viewing of current primetime shows, leading datytime and late-night CBS programming, and thousands of episodes from the network's library of classics.
The fourth-generation Apple TV will go on sale next Monday, Oct. 26, but second- and third-gen owners can access CBS All Access, NBC & M2M right now.
CBS All Access also includes live TV streaming in select major markets, where the network owns and operates the over-the-air station.

NBC, meanwhile, requires users to log in with their cable provider credentials to view most content on the Apple TV. The arrival of NBC and CBS rounds out the big four broadcast networks on Apple TV, joining established apps from Fox and ABC.

Finally, the new "Made2Measure" or M2M network is also available on Apple TV, and exclusively on Apple's set-top[ box. The digital fashion network is an upstart from WME/IMG.

The three new channel options arrive just days before the fourth-generation Apple TV, with a dedicated App Store, will be available to order. CBS, NBC and M2M are all instantly available on both the second- and third-generation Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    So near, but yet so far. CBS is only live streaming in several major markets and NBC requires you to subscribe to cable. What I really want is the ability to abandon cable. Comcast is the corporate embodiment of the devil.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Concur, looking forward to totally dumping Comcast. Cable is the only electronic service with substantially increasing consumer costs and little to no improvements.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I'm guessing all of these channels will not be bundled with the new AppleTV, and will instead be optional 3rd party Apps that can be downloaded?
  • Reply 4 of 56
    This is great. It is setting the stage...please stop boring everyone with "this is useless", "not quite there" or "what is the point?" BS...Apple is laying the ground work for a better future. Does anyone remember let's say "all of Apple's products and services" at their launch? Be patient and give them time to dial this all in. I am just as anxious for a better solution as you all are but it will take time as this is a tricky one for many reasons.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

So near, but yet so far. CBS is only live streaming in several major markets and NBC requires you to subscribe to cable. What I really want is the ability to abandon cable. Comcast is the corporate embodiment of the devil.

I already abandoned cable a year ago. If I can't watch it on Netflix, Hulu, or iTunes...I don't bother.

It would be nice however, to at least have the option of paying $x.99 a month for XYZ network...every once in a while I might see the need to subscribe to ABC, or ESPN for a month.

• Reply 6 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

useless.

$6 for a channel I can for free with an OTA?  

"useless" for you, for those with crappy to nonexistent OTA reception?

Notsomuch.

• Reply 7 of 56
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Apple is moving in the right direction. I wish the apple tv hardware itself was a little more robust, particularly I hope it has IP control features for home automation systems. I wish apple would provide home automation drivers to all the top systems like crestron, etc.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    It really all depends on commercials. I'm not paying a dime (or watching) if there are commercial interruptions.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Quote:

what do you watch on TV that isn't available on Netflix, Hulu?

I would abandon cable today if I had a way to watch live NFL/NBA.

I dropped Hulu+ or whatever it is called after I learned I still couldn't get Archer on it, and The League wasn't available either.  Could care less about every other show that I'm not able to catch in real time OTA. 

• Reply 10 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    sog35 wrote: »
    what do you watch on TV that isn't available on Netflix, Hulu?

I would abandon cable today if I had a way to watch live NFL/NBA.
    NBA League Pass? That's what I use, streaming over a Chromecast. A VPN lets you get local teams too. If all you care about is your "hometeam" it's not all that expensive considering.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:

regardless, I have no idea who would pay for this.  $6 for CBS is ridiculous

Maybe so, but the model is right.

If the market determines $6 for a month of CBS is ridiculous, the price will come down. Have to walk before we can run.

I just want the option to pay per month per channel. Worry about the price later.

• Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

NBA Live? That's what I use, streaming over a Chromecast. A VPN lets you get local teams too.

How much is your streaming performance affected by the VPN/Proxy?

• Reply 13 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

regardless, I have no idea who would pay for this.  $6 for CBS is ridiculous

Cheaper than someone paying cable at $100 per month, say, and watching maybe 6 changels.... so "ridiculous" isn't chiseled in granite, though maybe if you repeat the same thing another half dozen times...

to the extent this is the test of ala carte services it has promise.

• Reply 14 of 56
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member

"Yuck!" to all of it

• Reply 15 of 56
    pmz wrote: »

How much is your streaming performance affected by the VPN/Proxy?
    Not at all as far as I can tell. I use a proxy only a few states away so the latency is low.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    sog35 wrote: »
    So  you suggest doing something illegal? 

But even with League pass you can't watch the nationally televised games on ESPN/TNT/ABC or the playoff games.
    VPN's are illegal? Not as far as I know. At the worst I'm breaking a rule of the NBA network guys rather than breaking the law. I'm paying for content and not stealing it. As for ESPN/TNT I covered that with Sling, biting the bullet for $20 despite my efforts to "cut cable" completely.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    There better not be any commercials in that CBS programming. If I can watch over the air with commercials and it cost me nothing, why am I expected to pay for streaming when CBS is getting paid at the same time from the advertisers. Ads are acceptable when I DON'T pay for something.
  • Reply 18 of 56

I hope Siri will be aware of CBS and NBC shows. For me Siri will be one of the best features of the new AppleTV

• Reply 19 of 56

The problem is the way networks work with local stations etc.

What would be the ideal would be these network channels free thru the Apple TV.  The big addition would be the ability to watch last weeks episode etc.  For this to work (ignoring the local tv station problem) would be for Apple to allow people to opt in to share some info with the network- demographic stuff.  What this would mean is the ads would be so much more valuable to the networks.  25 year olds would get ads for beer and 65 year olds would get ads for prescription drugs.  Also if you can watch a show that you missed that is more eye views for the advertiser.  If you didn't want to share info you could pay some fee.  But I am sure the majority of people would be happy to share their age gender and zip code for free tv.

Again the obstacle is the local station issue.  This would cut them out.

Of course other problem is the Cable companies.  I think due to deregulation they need to share their lines with a competitor.  Problem most markets only have one company.  What if Apple became an ISP.  They use the Cable wires to deliver internet at a much cheaper price. They make money by selling the content on Apple TV.

• Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

VPN's are illegal? Not as far as I know. At the worst I'm breaking a rule of the NBA network guys rather than breaking the law. I'm paying for content and not stealing it. As for ESPN/TNT I covered that with Sling, biting the bullet for $20 despite my efforts to "cut cable" completely.

In Canada they've said as much as using a VPN to watch US-only content is stealing. 

Not sure about using an in-country VPN or not