Apple releases watchOS 2.0.1 with fixes for battery life, app installs, calendar syncing

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2015
Apple Watch owners have a new update available that will fix a number of bugs with the device, including various issues that could affect the battery life and performance of the first-generation wearable.

watchOS 2.0.1 is now available to download via the official Apple Watch app on iPhone. It weighs in at 62.8 megabytes.

Apple's new watchOS update features support for the latest emoji characters also found in iOS 9.1 and OS X 10.11.1. They include unicorn, taco, burrito, and middle finger emoji characters.

Apple also noted that the update includes performance improvements and bug fixes. Among the changes found in the update are:
  • A fix for an issue that could cause software updates to stall
  • Fixes for issues that were impacting battery performance
  • A resolution for an issue that could prevent a managed iPhone from syncing iOS Calendar events to Apple Watch
Notably, unlike iOS 9.1 or OS X 10.11.1, there were no pre-release betas of watchOS 2.0.1 issued to developers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

They really need to remove the "Connected to its charger" restriction. Keep the 50% minimum charge requirement

I understand why, so that the update doesn't fail when/if it kills the battery, but it makes for a very clunky update experience.

I wonder if this will update automatically overnight if both devices are on the charger. It should. They really need to push these automatic updates even harder.

• Reply 2 of 16
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I hope this fix photos not syncing to the watch.

• Reply 3 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I've had an issue where it tells me to stand but then doesn't record that I stood. So at the end of the day even though I stood way more than 12 times I shows that I've stood maybe 3 or 4 times. Hopefully this update fixes that.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    hoping this fixes a bug ive seen -- my AW dropping to from full to 10% in one day during lightuse, but only on occasion...maybe two or three times.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    rogifan wrote: »
    I've had an issue where it tells me to stand but then doesn't record that I stood. So at the end of the day even though I stood way more than 12 times I shows that I've stood maybe 3 or 4 times. Hopefully this update fixes that.

one thing to note, the AW cant really tell if youre in a standing pose or not -- i believe it uses walking motion detection to guess that youre standing. so if youre standing in one spot all day it will mistakenly believe youre sitting in one spot all day. inversely, you can fool it by clapping your wrist back and forth in a walking-like motion. ill do this if i switch from seated to standing in place, but am not walking, and get the award.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    rogifan wrote: »

I saw that issue in watchOS 1. It's a well documented issue. You have to reboot the watch.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    one thing to note, the AW cant really tell if youre in a standing pose or not -- i believe it uses walking motion detection to guess that youre standing. so if youre standing in one spot all day it will mistakenly believe youre sitting in one spot all day. inversely, you can fool it by clapping your wrist back and forth in a walking-like motion. ill do this if i switch from seated to standing in place, but am not walking, and get the award.

I think it does say to move around a bit. I usually have to for maybe 30 seconds before it will give me credit for standing.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I think the battery on my new Apple Watch has been fantastic. I use a lot of exercise and health apps. By end of day, I still end up with 35-45%. Is that good? Anyway, I'm kind of afraid to install the update since I haven't had any issues.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mistergsf wrote: »
    I think the battery on my new Apple Watch has been fantastic. I use a lot of exercise and health apps. By end of day, I still end up with 35-45%. Is that good? Anyway, I'm kind of afraid to install the update since I haven't had any issues.

thats normal.

upgrade. theres nothing to be afraid of -- in the grand scheme of things it's about as low-risk as pouring a glass of milk.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mistergsf wrote: »

That's good. Same here. Use it for my workouts too.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I saw a discussion in my Twitter feed from the guy that runs the watchaware.com site and some other folks saying that Apple absolutely has to go round with the next version of ?Watch, with one guy saying he thinks ?Watch makes him look like a dork. It's entirely possible that Apple is testing out a round version of the watch but I'm not convinced they have to go round. First of all there is zero evidence that round smart watches are outselling ?Watch. I'll admit I don't see a lot of ?Watches out and about but with most people I'm not seeing anything on their wrist. Certainly not Android Wear devices. Also I would argue round smart watches look "dorky" too when they're showing things other than an analog watch face. Hence why most Android Wear watch PR shots only show analog watch faces.

Obviously Apple is learning a lot from people that own ?Watch and developers are figuring out what makes a good experience on the watch. IMO that will inform future versions of the watch. Maybe that leads Apple down the round path, maybe not.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I saw a discussion in my Twitter feed from the guy that runs the watchaware.com site and some other folks saying that Apple absolutely has to go round with the next version of ?Watch, with one guy saying he thinks ?Watch makes him look like a dork. It's entirely possible that Apple is testing out a round version of the watch but I'm not convinced they have to go round. First of all there is zero evidence that round smart watches are outselling ?Watch. I'll admit I don't see a lot of ?Watches out and about but with most people I'm not seeing anything on their wrist. Certainly not Android Wear devices. Also I would argue round smart watches look "dorky" too when they're showing things other than an analog watch face. Hence why most Android Wear watch PR shots only show analog watch faces.

Obviously Apple is learning a lot from people that own ?Watch and developers are figuring out what makes a good experience on the watch. IMO that will inform future versions of the watch. Maybe that leads Apple down the round path, maybe not.

possibly he looks like a dork anyway, ?Watch cant help him.

maybe I look like a dork, i do know that most people dont even notice what i have on my wrist when i meet them, anymore than they notice what color shoes i'm wearing.

Apple may or may not do a round watch, personally i doubt they will because round is not an optimal shape for 90% of my ?Watch does.

we have all become acostmed to round wrist watches, because for a mechanical based time piece, round was optimal,  and then as quarts movements took over, mostly there was no reason to go square. Of course may cheap digital watches are neither round nor square ( look at digital casio, timex etc.... they might be 'roundish'

2 or 3 years from now, i suspect most smartwatches will be square(ish)

• Reply 13 of 16
    I forgot to charge my watch for the first time last night and had to live without it today. Today was the first time I've realised how much I use it. For me, being able to glance at my wrist for my next appointment while I'm at work, discretely reading iMessages as they arrive, and seeing how much excercise I've done are features that have become part of my daily life. It's weird how that happens. Can't imagine not having the Apple Watch now.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    was the middle finger emoji supposed to be in this update? I dont see it on there but I do on my iPhone
  • Reply 15 of 16
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

you state this like there are no square watches. tip: apple aren't going round, it's a fools endeavour.

• Reply 16 of 16

I hope those with battery issues get them resolved with this update. Personally, I don't have any. The Watch is used regularly for several notifications, and the watch faces have a few complications. I still have ~60-65% battery life at EOD, sometimes more.  I also use a sleep app and it uses very little juice, despite the fact I don't put it in Airplane mode as the app recommends. If needed, I put it on the charger for 10-15minutes. In the morning it's charging while I shower. So I'm happy. If I get more run time with this update,  I'm not sure what I'll do with it.

Arguing over round and square watches is a fool's endeavor. There is no absolute as to the "right" or "wrong" shape for a smartwatch. A square may have an edge over formatting text, but it's a small one. A well done UI will make information readily available, regardless of shape. Personal preference is just that- preference, not an arbiter.

Apple wanted their Watches to be considered as high-end and luxury devices as opposed to just fashionable. The square/rectangular shapes have long been the hallmark of elegance and haute fashion. Decades long. It's still the case. This isn't the same as being merely expensive. So it makes sense that Apple starts with a rectangular watch. That also explains with there's an Hermès line. I'd like Apple to bring out a rectangular Watch face, but if that happens, that may not be until the Hermès line has been out for a while.

I think they'll stay with that for now. If they "go round" I think it would be after they've taken the rectangle farther down the rode, and not offer just another "me too" round Watch. A lot of people want a round watch/Watch, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

A person should base their choice on what works for them and what they like. If they think it "looks dorky" that really means they're worried what others  will think- that they look dorky.  That's pretty funny.