Apple TV now available for preorder, first deliveries arrive Friday

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2015
As promised, the new fourth-generation Apple TV became available for purchase Monday, with the first orders scheduled to arrive beginning this Friday, Oct. 30.

The new Apple TV is available in capacities of 32 and 64 gigabytes. New orders are scheduled to be delivered between Oct. 30 and Nov. 3 at the fastest, if customers are willing to pay for expedited delivery. Free orders deliver Nov. 2 through Nov. 4.

The first Oct. 30 deliveries will allow Apple to narrowly meet its promised delivery window of the month of October.

While home deliveries begin this week, retail availability of the Apple TV has not yet been announced. Apple's online store simply states that in-store pickup of the new Apple TV will be available soon.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook promised last week that Apple TV preorders would start on Monday. Pricing starts at $149 for the 32-gigabyte model, while a 64-gigabyte version runs $199.

The new Apple TV sports Siri voice control with deep search functionality. It also includes a dedicated App Store for installing third-party apps. Apple began accepting app submissions last week, and also submitted a golden master of its new tvOS to developers.

Apple has required that new tvOS apps support the new Siri remote as part of their "core functionality." The remote includes a touchpad, motion input, and a microphone for Siri.

The new set-top streamer is also powered by a beefed-up A8 system-on-a-chip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 173
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Placed my order 10 minutes ago. Went with the 64 GB model.

Selected next day shipping so should have it by the 30th.

:D
  • Reply 2 of 173
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Most exciting product of the year! Got my order if for a 64 GB.

Somehow I think 32 would be more than enough, I don't envision adding many large apps at all. But we'll see.
  • Reply 3 of 173

Even the Steelseries Nimbus controller is available too (£39.95 here in the UK). So excited for this product!

• Reply 4 of 173

Done!

• Reply 5 of 173
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member

32GB for me, nov. 2-4 delivery.

• Reply 6 of 173

It is 2-4 Nov delivery in the UK as of 15-20 mins ago (no option for expedited delivery). Accessories page is still empty but it is featured in the main page itself on the Apple Store App. I am skint now but if I to buy one, I'll go with 64GB with Nimbus controller (or skip it altogether if I can use my bluetooth PS4 controller instead), the loop band and perhaps the Apple TV bracket (currently empty in the store but the placeholder is there).

• Reply 7 of 173
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member

Officially not a "hobby" any more!

• Reply 8 of 173
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Yup, also ordered the 64GB model. Nov 2 (my birthday) - nov 4 arrival dates. Guess which day I'd like it to come in?

I've got two controllers. The first is the Steelseries, which is a small controller I can put in a pocket. The second is the Mad Catz full size model. Both work well. I'm really looking forwards to this.
  • Reply 9 of 173
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,005member
    I'm discouraged if the new remote is required to access navigation functionality, and there is no IR or IP alternative. My equipment rack is centrally located and not within Bluetooth range (70 feet away and one floor down)

While not prevalent, it's not uncommon for AV setups to locate gear away from the output zones themselves, especially semi-dedicate media rooms or dedicated home theaters.

Ordered 2 64 gb anyway, one for this Friday delivery...
  • Reply 10 of 173

Yeah! Just ordered mine. 32 GB.

• Reply 11 of 173
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    pmz wrote: »
    Most exciting product of the year! Got my order if for a 64 GB.

Somehow I think 32 would be more than enough, I don't envision adding many large apps at all. But we'll see.

You know, unless you're very determined to not get apps, it creeps up on you.
  • Reply 12 of 173

Also ordered a 64GB one. Really going to be interesting to see what the iOS developer community comes up with.

This is what will separate the Apple TV from the Fire or Roku - the TV App Store.

• Reply 13 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Isn't it a little odd that orders went live and we haven't seen any reviews yet? Usually reviews come out a few days before. Also odd when you go to apple.com you don't even see ?TV. Why isn't it front and center with a big BUY button? Something about this rollout is a bit odd. Are they going to do the same thing with iPad Pro? Incidentally, Apple stock is getting crushed this morning. Is that investors panicked about the quarter? Some clown on CNBC was saying if Apple reports a good quarter that will take the stock down because it means the December quarter won't be as good.
  • Reply 14 of 173
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    I like to order 64GB for future proof but thought let me start with 32GB and if storage limitation arise than gift this someone in family and upgrade to 64GB. Wish I can use PS3/4 Bluetooth controller, somehow!!
  • Reply 15 of 173
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    melgross wrote: »

That all depends. If you have an iPhone or iPad you can have UI elements that equals or far exceed that of a 1920×1080 display, and yet my apps account for very little space overall, that's without the 200MiB limit for the default size. I purchased the 32GB model because I'm not one to play MMORPGs, first-person shooters, or other 3D games. I'm not sure I'm using the correct or current terms. What is Minecraft defined as? Regardless, if it comes to the Apple TV I'm not going to play it. Most of what I'll be getting will come from my 100 Ethernet-to-AirPort Extreme-to-GigE-to-Mac mini-to-USB 3.0-RAID for music and video via iTunes, and, hopefully, some Channels/Apps/Stations/Networks/Whatever-the-prefered-term-may-be to which I subscribe, assuming we start getting an influx of new cable channels that will allow me to drop the cable box in my home (namely, Velocity and Speed networks).
  • Reply 16 of 173
    thrang wrote: »
    I'm discouraged if the new remote is required to access navigation functionality, and there is no IR or IP alternative. My equipment rack is centrally located and not within Bluetooth range (70 feet away and one floor down)

While not prevalent, it's not uncommon for AV setups to locate gear away from the output zones themselves, especially semi-dedicate media rooms or dedicated home theaters.

Ordered 2 64 gb anyway, one for this Friday delivery...

Why wouldn't you read the Tech Specs before both ordering and commenting?
  • Reply 17 of 173
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,005member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you read the Tech Specs before both ordering and commenting?

Well, I did...but Apple's developers note that they must support the new remote strongly implies some enforcement of reliance on the touch interface, which is transmitted via BT not IR...
  • Reply 18 of 173
  • Reply 19 of 173
    solipsismy wrote: »
    melgross wrote: »

That all depends. If you have an iPhone or iPad you can have UI elements that equals or far exceed that of a 1920×1080 display, and yet my apps account for very little space overall, that's without the 200MiB limit for the default size. I purchased the 32GB model because I'm not one to play MMORPGs, first-person shooters, or other 3D games. I'm not sure I'm using the correct or current terms. What is Minecraft defined as? Regardless, if it comes to the Apple TV I'm not going to play it. Most of what I'll be getting will come from my 100 Ethernet-to-AirPort Extreme-to-GigE-to-Mac mini-to-USB 3.0-RAID for music and video via iTunes, and, hopefully, some Channels/Apps/Stations/Networks/Whatever-the-prefered-term-may-be to which I subscribe, assuming we start getting an influx of new cable channels that will allow me to drop the cable box in my home (namely, Velocity and Speed networks).

I bought the 64BG -- for HEC, HomeKit Hub, 3rd-party Apps and some personal development.

Shipment 1
    Available to ship: 3-5 business days
    Delivers: Oct 30 - Nov 3 by Next Day Shipping, before noon
    Apple TV (4th generation) 64GB
    Apple TV (4th generation) 64GB

I think there is a lot of potential for this device.
  • Reply 20 of 173
    I bought the 64BG -- for HEC, HomeKit Hub, 3rd-party Apps and some personal development.

1) If one feels they may need more than 32GB than I highly recommend paying the extra $50 for the 64GB model, but I don't even use that much with all my music loaded on my iPhone. At this point 32GB seems like a ceiling I won't even come close to reaching until such time a 4K/HEVC model is available.

2) I don't recall any mention of the new Apple TV being a HomeKit Hub. Wouldn't that be an overall small service running on the system?