BBC to release iPlayer app for new Apple TV in 'coming months'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
UK Apple customers will soon be able to stream catch-up episodes of their favorite BBC programs on the big screen, as the storied broadcaster announced plans to bring a version of its iPlayer service to the new Apple TV.

The Beeb announced the news on iPlayer's official Twitter account on Thursday, saying an Apple TV iteration would become available "in the coming months." BBC News filled in some of the details an hour later.

"Available on over 10,000 devices, BBC iPlayer is one of the biggest and best on-demand video services in the world, and has transformed how UK audiences watch programmes online," said BBC director-general Tony Hall. "I am delighted that iPlayer will be coming to the new Apple TV in the coming months, helping to bring the BBC's distinctive and loved content to an even wider audience."

For those living outside the UK, BBC's iPlayer is a stalwart on-demand (colloquially referred to as catch-up), offline viewing and live streaming app that has long been a favorite source of content for locals, made popular in no small part thanks to the proliferation of iOS.

While iPhone and iPad users had access to iPlayer for years, it was never offered as a channel option on older Apple TVs. Users would resort to streaming from an iOS device over AirPlay, which the BBC allowed. Although BBC did not specify exact hardware specifications, it appears iPlayer might be limited to fourth-generation Apple TV arriving in homes this week.

The BBC News article mentions Siri universal search, a new Apple TV feature that aggregates search results from multiple sources, but does not confirm iPlayer compatibility at launch. Apple CEO Tim Cook earlier this month said third-party developers would soon be granted access to Siri's search API, but for now the list of supported apps is limited.

For UK customers, upcoming BBC iPlayer access addresses a concern reviewers recently expressed regarding available content. Early reviews agree that Apple's slick hardware and software make it one of the best all-around packages available, but there is still room for growth, namely Siri search and a sparsely populated App Store. Those features are almost guaranteed to evolve, however, as developers are expected to flock to the platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24

It's about time!

• Reply 2 of 24
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

It's about time!

It's about Time Lords; well, The Doctor anyway.

All of my BBC programs come via Netflix now, so this will be an excellent addition to that.

• Reply 3 of 24

I live in the US.  If I want to become a cord-cutter (cancel my Verizon FiOS TV service), where can I get online content for BBC America?  e.g., Doctor Who

And (admittedly a harder question to answer), do we think that BBC America content will be available if Apple begins to provide some "skinny" TV service in 2016?

• Reply 4 of 24
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Sorry, but it's the AppleTV that is playing catchup in the UK.
    BT, Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk and some TVs have had iPlayer "on the big screen" for years.
    Here's hoping the iPlayer implementation for AppleTV is better than most of the others which are subject to random freezes, slow operation and horrible UIs.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Please god release in the US - being dreaming for years. It's all I watch via VPN which is a pain
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Please god release in the US - being dreaming for years. It's all I watch via VPN which is a pain

a region free version of iPlayer would be fantastic, but unfortunately I suspect that the BBC's content copyright lawyers have somehow blocked this one for good.

:(

• Reply 7 of 24
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

Why not just get a cheap router, place your VPN details onto it and use it as a secondary "UK" router. I switch routers at will on my devices to watch US content here in the UK.

• Reply 8 of 24
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    slprescott wrote: »
    I live in the US.  If I want to become a cord-cutter (cancel my Verizon FiOS TV service), where can I get online content for BBC America?  e.g., Doctor Who

Netflix for older seasons, iTunes for the current season.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Why not just get a cheap router, place your VPN details onto it and use it as a secondary "UK" router. I switch routers at will on my devices to watch US content here in the UK.

That's the way to go as the BBC is making active moves to stop software based VPN use.

• Reply 10 of 24
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

This is what Apple meant by the future of TV is apps. There is no need for content deals if the content comes to you.

• Reply 11 of 24
    That's the deal maker for me. New Apple TV here I come!! (Now, all I have to do is get the business case past financial scrutiny aka the wife)
  • Reply 12 of 24
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

I love BBC news because of how they pronounce certain words and say things. Leader of Russia is vla DEE mir poo tin; someone is "going to hospital." Our Brittish Brethern speak the bloody queen's language in such an engaging way. Always enjoy it, will use this app.

• Reply 13 of 24
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    a region free version of iPlayer would be fantastic, but unfortunately I suspect that the BBC's content copyright lawyers have somehow blocked this one for good.

Can you blame them? The BBC is subsided by UK taxpayers.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    This is great news for UK residents. No doubt there will be some lamenting that the streaming is not 4K :)
  • Reply 15 of 24
    pmcd wrote: »

I AM a UK tax payer, but spend most of the year abroad

:-(
  • Reply 16 of 24
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by the3rdParty View Post

The BBC isn't mostly funded through taxes, although you may be right that it's predominantly taxpayers who pay - but not through general taxes.

Most funding comes from the TV license fee that is payable if you own a TV and watch live programs. Obviously, those who live outside the UK have not paid this fee (excepting some who live part of the year inside and part outside the UK - not a very large group).

• Reply 17 of 24

I've subscribed to the full season of Doctor Who for the past three years from iTunes.  The new episodes are available on Sunday, the day after they appear on BBC in the U.K.

Would be great if BBC had a Apple TV app and one could subscribe to all or a selection of programs.  I'd watch East Enders again.

• Reply 18 of 24
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by the3rdParty View Post

Actually, I don't think that is the case. The copyright lawyers will - not surprisingly and quite reasonably - insist that BBC receive appropriate revenue for its content. Up until now that has meant that it was available only in the UK where most people have paid the license fee.

But with the new Apple TV (and other similar things) there's a better delivery mechanism than browser+Flash (ugh). It will be possible for BBC to offer, for example, a full range of BBC programmes for a suitable subscription fee. We don't know whether it will offer this but I hope it does happen. I know several people who would certainly sign up for it.

• Reply 19 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    frac wrote: »
    Sorry, but it's the AppleTV that is playing catchup in the UK.
    BT, Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk and some TVs have had iPlayer "on the big screen" for years.
    Here's hoping the iPlayer implementation for AppleTV is better than most of the others which are subject to random freezes, slow operation and horrible UIs.
    Those are mostly due to the crappy hardware in the cable box. I have similar problems with my PVR and the ABC and SBS on demand apps. And also YouTube. Once the stream gets going, they're OK, but the interface is slow and klunky.

I would like them to at least do an iPlayer Global app, as they do on the iPad and iPhone, so that you pay a fee, and they'll stream stuff that isn't necessarily tied up in content deals in your region.

Or they could just let me buy a TV Licence, and give me access to the UK version. I suspect that might cause problems for the people paying them for their content, but these days I believe first run rights to most stuff (ie everything but Doctor Who) goes to their local cable channel, so they wouldn't really be hurting anyone but themselves.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    This is the best news I have received all week, BBC is the best TV app with the best content, so good that it is coming to Apple TV - this could be the final piece that allows me to cut the cord! Whohooo!