Apple launches new Beats Pill+ apps for iOS and Android

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Apple on Thursday issued its first ever synchronized iOS and Android app release in a remote control and setup app for its Beats Pill+, the first Bluetooth speaker to come out of Beats since the company was acquired by Apple in 2014.

The eponymous Beats Pill+ app lets users take control and share settings with up to two speakers, including software-driven features like stereo sound and a DJ mode.

Like similar offerings from UE, Apple's Beats Pill+ allows listeners to pair up two speaker units for amplified mono sound or separate a sound source into left and right channels. In addition, the speaker system can accept up to two Bluetooth sources, meaning users can share playlist control with a friend.

Beats Pill+ debuted earlier this month with a larger, sleek design more befitting of Apple's device lineup. As part of the redesign, the speaker ditched USB for Apple's proprietary Lightning cable as a means for charging.

Beats Pill+ is free and comes in at 27.2MB from the iOS App Store or 26MB on Google Play.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I understand the original Beats Pill™ didn't go down so well...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    levilevi Posts: 344member

I'd give Apple a pass on that one, as they didn't actually design it. Style wise, I think this will appeal more to the taste of the average Apple user. 

• Reply 3 of 13
    ...for Android??!!! Hell has frozen over.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    An idea I've had...

A yearly Apple Music keynote.
    A day when Apple announces new Apple Music features, exclusives, new Beats products and iPods.

Worth it?

I don't think Apple should make these products compatible with 'Droid at all. Let users buy an iDevice if they want the full experience. Beats is their company after all.

With Apple Music growing I've been thinking the same with that service as well. Helps Apple in the long run.
  • Reply 5 of 13

These speakers will set your music on FIRE!!!

• Reply 6 of 13
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inside_line View Post

If Apple can get any money from an Android owner, they have done better than most companies.

• Reply 7 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    levi wrote: »

I'd give Apple a pass on that one, as they didn't actually design it. Style wise, I think this will appeal more to the taste of the average Apple user. 

I think they're beautiful.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

An idea I've had...

A day when Apple announces new Apple Music features, exclusives, new Beats products and iPods.

Worth it?

I don't think Apple should make these products compatible with 'Droid at all. Let users buy an iDevice if they want the full experience. Beats is their company after all.

With Apple Music growing I've been thinking the same with that service as well. Helps Apple in the long run.

In the long run, yes.

But remember iTunes for Windows? ;)

• Reply 9 of 13
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    cali wrote: »
    An idea I've had...

Worth it?

Beats didn't get to where they are now by being only idevice.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

It's a fine speaker.

Beats was the worst purchase Apple has ever made.       Boom

• Reply 11 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    bobschlob wrote: »
    It's a fine speaker.
    Beats was the worst purchase Apple has ever made.       Boom

Couldn't disagree more. The amount of music talent they got when they acquired Beats was an impossibility in house. Beats hardware business is mega-profitable and gives Apple an audio/music division that doesn't distract from the company's other focuses. The Beats brand itself is a huge deal. Apple Music wouldn't exist without Beats and Iovine was a great hire. Iovine made the iTunes Store happen originally, he was Jobs' wingman who convinced all the big labels to sign on. And my bet is it'll ultimately be Iovine who gets the TV studios to sign on the dotted line for Apple TV and this more than anything that makes Apple TV important long term and this deal will open the door to a subsidised Apple television—an ultimate dream of mine: one device, one plug, one remote, no inputs—a do it all all-in-one for the living room. A single beautiful device that solves all this living room bullshit once and for all.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    So does this bluetooth speaker have the same problem or feature of other speakers I have tried, that when paired with an iOS device, Siri can no longer be used on that device. I ask her a question and she gives me a list of things that I can ask. I must be missing something here.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Typical uninformed fanboy BS. I totally had to download the app before I could post a bogus review.