Majority of Google Play reviews for Apple's Android Beats Pill+ app are abusive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
Google has struggled to attract a fraction of iOS' top-tier commercial app development for its own Android platform. The abusive language allowed in Google Play--for reviews of products the reviewer hasn't even downloaded--highlight another reason why so few developers take Android seriously as a platform.

App developers have lots of reasons for avoiding investing in Android as a platform: it's far more difficult to support the tens of thousands of different hardware models that use Android; only a small minority of the active Google Play users are running an updated version of Android less than a year old; and demographics for Android trend toward less educated, less affluent users who are less likely to spend money but more likely to vocally complain about their products.

Source: Google Play

That's highlighted in the reviews for Apple's new Beats Pill+ app for Android (above), a free title for linking multiple speakers together.

One day after launching the app for both iOS and Android, 40 Google Play users have posted given it five stars, while an overwhelming 60 have posted one star reviews, dripping with anger and claiming that the software gave them cancer, AIDS or causes "retardtion."

Both Apple and Google have struggled to cope with abusive or fake reviews in their app stores, and have taken steps to reduce the impact of phony reviews intended to artificially boost or abusively besmirch a developer's work.

However, a report by Apptenttive last year found that while more fake reviews were targeting iOS titles ("This might have something to do with the app download volume advantage that iOS enjoyed" the firm observed), the worst reviewers--defined by a Reviewer Quality metric looking at short word count and repetitive vocabulary--are on Google Play. It noted that "of the 100 apps with the worst Reviewer Quality scores, 80% of them are Android apps."

App Store: you must download an app before you can post a review

Google Play: you only need to sign up for Google+ to post a review

Apple's App Store requires that users download a developer's app before they review it. In Google Play, users just need to sign up for a Google+ account; the user can then write a review without even downloading it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I don't think Apple should let droids use Beats apps.

With the growing rate of ?Music alone on Apple devices, I'm thinking it should also be Apple exclusive, don't make droids happy and it helps Apple in the long run. Why give away your eco system? Let them come get it.
  • Reply 2 of 94
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,099member
    You'd think that since it's free, fAndroids would love it. But then again, they're on G +, so there's your problem.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    robertcrobertc Posts: 118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

I don't think Apple should let droids use Beats apps.

With the growing rate of ?Music alone on Apple devices, I'm thinking it should also be Apple exclusive, don't make droids happy and it helps Apple in the long run. Why give away your eco system? Let them come get it.

It makes more sense more sense for them to allow Android users to use the apps for Beats products.

Like the article says:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

demographics for Android trend toward less educated, less affluent users who are less likely to spend money but more likely to vocally complain about their products.

You would have to be less educated to buy a Beats product in the first place.

• Reply 4 of 94
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Fandroids in general are a lower class of people, so this sort of behavior is not unexpected.

• Reply 5 of 94
    While the issue is real, fanboyism is just stupid and so is the way this article is written. It's so deliberately pro-Apple and anti-Google it's ridiculous. I've noticed Appleinsider seems to not take any kind of critical look at what Apple are doing wrong and due to that I've now decided to find my Apple news elsewhere.

PS. Yes I own Apple devices.
  • Reply 6 of 94
    Gosh, what a cesspool of uninformed lowlifes.

I am so glad I inhabit a completely different reality.
  • Reply 7 of 94
    dmdevdmdev Posts: 33member
    I used to advertise on LinkedIn and everywhere else that I develop both iOS and Android apps. Now I don't see the point in keeping up with two development platforms, so I dropped Android entirely and pass the work off to friends whenever someone asks.

This is a reminder that I'm probably on the right side.
  • Reply 8 of 94
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Google only really cares about selling ads.

97% of Google's revenue comes from ads.

• Reply 9 of 94
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    I thought some of the one star reviews were pretty funny! Might even be good publicity in a contrarian way.
  • Reply 10 of 94
    Unfortunately, Android seems to attract the lowest common denominator of people.
  • Reply 11 of 94
    it's the proverbial "throwing pearls to swines."
  • Reply 12 of 94
    Surprised those morons can even spell.
  • Reply 13 of 94
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Surprised those morons can even spell.

Apple just inherited millions of those morons.
  • Reply 14 of 94
    dasanman69 wrote: »

I doubt that very much.
  • Reply 15 of 94
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    kasakka wrote: »
    While the issue is real, fanboyism is just stupid and so is the way this article is written. It's so deliberately pro-Apple and anti-Google it's ridiculous. I've noticed Appleinsider seems to not take any kind of critical look at what Apple are doing wrong and due to that I've now decided to find my Apple news elsewhere.

There's actually research to back up the data, unfortunately. Android users ARE statistically less educated.
    robertc wrote: »
    It makes more sense more sense for them to allow Android users to use the apps for Beats products.

Like the article says:
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">You would have to be less educated to buy a Beats product in the first place.</span>

Hahaha

I hope Apple fixes all the problems with Beats someday though.

And I'm sure you agree with the ?Music exclusivity?
  • Reply 16 of 94

I doubt that very much.

Doubt no more

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/189793/android-switchers-accounted-for-30-of-iphone-buyers-in-q4-highest-ratio-recorded#post_2797814

Did they all of a sudden become smart? If they were morons then, now they're just morons with an iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 94

Doubt no more

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/189793/android-switchers-accounted-for-30-of-iphone-buyers-in-q4-highest-ratio-recorded#post_2797814

Did they all of a sudden become smart? If they were morons then, now they're just morons with an iPhone.

I doubt very much that they were the morons.
  • Reply 18 of 94

Doubt no more

I doubt very much that they were the morons.

So all of a sudden millions of Android users aren't morons, nor people of a lower class, and now willing to pay for things, and every other thing they've been called on here?
  • Reply 19 of 94
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kasakka View Post

First rule of your type of comments. Say you own a Apple device when in fact your tone suggests otherwise.

Second rule, don't discuss the fact, but deflect, you yup did that too.

Use "fanboy" in an article (in a reverse psychology way, so use is original)

Imply you somehow you were reading here, and that something somehow changed...

When it hasn't, so you could not have been reading here.

Imply a grand conspiracy without proof.

Imply bias without proof. Merely being negative about Google is not proof of bias buddy.

Low post count over a long period. Want me to check what those 54 posts say?

etc . etc. etc.

OK, get your news elsewhere... A more "unbiased" place like MR.. Right.... You'll fit right in there with the rest of the whiners.

• Reply 20 of 94
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So all of a sudden millions of Android users aren't morons, nor people of a lower class, and now willing to pay for things, and every other thing they've been called on here?

Actually it's likely that the 1/3 of the former android owners that have switched were the cream of the crop. All this likely means is the gene pool in android land has lost it's top two sigma users.