Apple hiring manager for original & live content linked to Apple Music, iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
Apple is hiring a person to help create "original content and live projects" for several of its online services, including Apple Music, iTunes, iBooks, and the App Store, according to a job listing discovered by AppleInsider.

Candidates for the job are expected to come from "a senior level entertainment and media background," and wield skills in areas like events, project management, and marketing. The goal is to "devise, develop and project manage a diverse and multi faceted original content and live projects program for Apple Music, iTunes and the App Store," although Apple is light on what that program might entail.

Music, radio, books, and TV/movies are all mentioned as potential content types though, and experience in artist relations and talent booking is considered "essential." Apple is also hoping for someone familiar with "broadcast production teams and third party creative and production partners."

The nature of the description may suggest that Apple is organizing more than things like press events, Beats 1 guests, the Apple Music Festival, and/or in-store appearances.

It's unclear though if the job is in anyway connected to rumors Apple might delve into original video programming, possibly for a streaming TV service expected to debut in 2016. The content would likely take after the exclusive shows produced by services like Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and Crackle.

In a recent interview, Apple's senior VP for Internet Software and Services -- Eddy Cue -- dodged questions about original content. "We love working with our partners. We're great at technology, and they're great at creating content, and we think that's a great partnership to have," he said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So basically Apple is hiring someone to get original content on Connect.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    I worry if they try to do "too much" but also worry if they do "too little". Apple has defintely had some duds over the years.

Any anyone else finding that 90% of the icons on apple tv are programming that you don't really care about or may never watch?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I worry if they try to do "too much" but also worry if they do "too little". Apple has defintely had some duds over the years.

Any anyone else finding that 90% of the icons on apple tv are programming that you don't really care about or may never watch?

But the 90% is differenct for everybody.

• Reply 4 of 9
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This is only the beginning.

The AppleTV is the trojan horse for content.  Everyone is underestimating its impact.

In a few months AppleTV will be the #3 console in the world without even trying. Music, LiveTV, games, Apps....this thing will change home entertainment.  It will change home entertainment from a cluttered mess to stremlined awesomness.

One example: I'm watching NBA league pass and want to see a play again.  I use Siri and say 'rewind 15 seconds'.  PERFECT. Try doing that with POS cable box or other systems where you need to use a slider and small increments are impossible to control.

Apple doesn't need to get into the original content business. It's not like Apple execs don't have enough on their plate as it is. Apple just needs to be the preferred platform for other content providers.
  • Reply 5 of 9

Actually, Apple could get into the original content business, but television isn't the way to go.  I would be funding indie movies and mini-series that can be sold exclusively on itunes.  I think a smart business model would be not to force another subscription but have exclusive content you can only purchase on itunes. 

And exclusive music for apple music would be great too.

• Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven New View Post

Actually, Apple could get into the original content business, but television isn't the way to go.  I would be funding indie movies and mini-series that can be sold exclusively on itunes. 

Imagine an Apple-produced documentary on Aaron Sorkin! 

• Reply 7 of 9
    steven new wrote: »
    Actually, Apple could get into the original content business, but television isn't the way to go.  I would be funding indie movies and mini-series that can be sold exclusively on itunes.  I think a smart business model would be not to force another subscription but have exclusive content you can only purchase on itunes. 

And exclusive music for apple music would be great too.

IMO, Apple needs to make iTunes a spinoff company within Apple with its own CEO and let it live or die on its own merits. It's should be free to engage in original content production with other companies, in the same way Netflix has successfully done and the same way AMC and HBO develop their own incredible original shows. Instead I fear another "Beats" acquisition will be made, paying someone's buddy too much for something of questionable value.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

IMO, Apple needs to make iTunes a spinoff company within Apple with its own CEO and let it live or die on its own merits. It's should be free to engage in original content production with other companies, in the same way Netflix has successfully done and the same way AMC and HBO develop their own incredible original shows. Instead I fear another "Beats" acquisition will be made, paying someone's buddy too much for something of questionable value.

I wouldn't disagree with this...no reason why Apple Media couldn't be rolled up into a single new business division.  Apple Music, iTunes, and possibly even Apple Games.