Review: Apple's 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display is great, but skip the slow HDD model

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    tsonitsoni Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxIT View Post

Agree.

I'd like to have 1 Tb Fusion Drive as base model , 2 Tb Fusion as mid tier and SSD only for high end configuration.

No PC better than an iMac for the same price on the market, but a 5400 RPM spinner on a 2015 iMac is laughable nonetheless....

The whole question about the 24 Gb SSD portion of the Fusion Drive is debatable. Every review/ user opinion seen so far pointed out there is no performance difference from the previous 128 Gb model.

Maybe 128 Gb was just overkill on a 1 Tb drive....

And it isn't true that 24 Gb barely fits OS X: the fusion drive logic isn't application-based but file-based, so NOT ALL of the OS X files need to stay on the SSD to be quickly accessed.

RAM requirements aren't increasing on a year-after-year basis ....

4 years ago 8 Gb was a decent amount of RAM for any general purpose utilize . Today is the same, and 16 Gb are needed only for some specific works.

In 5 years the situation isn't going to change, so 8 Gb will be enough for light use.

even for email and Facebook, a 5400 RPM spinner is frustrating ....

I can't see any valid reason not to use a 1 Tb Fusion Drive on the base model.

This is the best/most accurate post in this thread. I agree with you on almost all points, the only part I kind of disagree with is that I think SSDs are no longer just the realm of high-end. They've dropped to a price point cheap enough that they're far more accessible to lower price points.

I'd still like to see the option: 1TB Mechanical cost within a stone's throw of 250GB SSDs these days, and I'd like to see Apple's prices reflect that and give consumers a choice at a reasonable price.

• Reply 42 of 45

A choice.  Sounds good to me.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 43 of 45

..and rational pricing.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 44 of 45
    jonesdesignjonesdesign Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Applecare is fairly cheap and a great piece of mind, also should the display go out and you don't have Applecare the machine is hardly trash, hook up and external display, problem solved. Slow internal HD? purchase an external usb 3.0 enclosure and get and SSD... there are solutions