Apple Pay gains 54 more US card issuers ahead of Canadian, Australian launches

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Apple on Tuesday added 54 more banks and credit unions to the list of U.S. Apple Pay issuers, putting the total over 650 as the company prepares to expand to Canada and Australia.

The latest additions cover a wide number of states, such Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, Washington, and Massachusetts. Unlike some recent updates, which added firms like HSBC and Scottrade, there don't appear to be any major national chains in the mix.

Through a partnership with American Express, Apple Pay will be coming to Australia and Canada by the end of the year. Some rumors have put a Canadian expansion as soon as this month.

In 2016, the service will gradually expand to Spain, Singapore, and Hong Kong. At the moment the only countries with Apple Pay are the U.S. and the U.K., the latter of which only received it in July.

The full list of new U.S. issuers includes:
  • Alternatives Federal Credit Union
  • Army Aviation Center Federal Credit Union
  • Artisans' Bank
  • Bank of Eastman
  • Bank of Rantoul
  • Bridgeview Bank Group
  • Carson Bank
  • Calumet Bank
  • Catholic & Community Credit Union
  • Central State Bank
  • Charter Oak Federal Credit Union
  • Citizens First Bank
  • Cornerstone Bank
  • Cornerstone National Bank
  • Credit Union of America
  • Drummond Community Bank
  • Education Employees Credit Union
  • First Community Credit Union (MO)
  • First Federal Bank of the Midwest
  • First Piedmont Federal Savings and Loan Association
  • Genisys Credit Union
  • German American
  • Gorham Savings Bank
  • Greenwood Credit Union
  • Houston Texas Fire Fighters Federal Credit Union
  • Hudson River Community Credit Union
  • InTouch Credit Union
  • KV Federal Credit Union
  • Lexington Postal Credit Union
  • Macatawa Bank
  • Maine Family Federal Credit Union
  • Marion State Bank
  • Missouri Bank
  • Missouri Credit Union
  • Mocse Credit Union
  • Municipal Employees Credit Union of Oklahoma City
  • Mutual Bank
  • Newaygo County Service Employees Credit Union
  • Oak Trust Credit Union
  • Peoples Bank (WA)
  • Peoples Bank (AR)
  • Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union
  • PyraMax Bank
  • Settlers Federal Credit Union
  • The Bank
  • The Provident Bank
  • Tri City National Bank
  • TwinStar Credit Union
  • UMassFive College Federal Credit Union
  • United Equity Credit Union
  • United Savings Credit Union
  • University of Kentucky Federal Credit Union
  • Upper Peninsula State Bank
  • Weokie Credit Union

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37

Come on, TD Canada, get this going. I've been waiting for a year now to start using Apple Pay.

• Reply 2 of 37

Any chance to get Apple Pay at all in the EU, particularly in Germany??? Maybe by the end of this century?

• Reply 3 of 37
    We need merchants to accept this. Right now in my universe only McDonald's, Panera and Amazon accept payment.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Bank of the West and Fidelity where the hell are you? Fire your dumbass legal team, marketing team and or IT heads and get some competent people in charge!
  • Reply 5 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

So what? Samsung Pay is the most accepted mobile payment, at least that is what they claim in this ad. Why would they lie? /s

• Reply 6 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So what? Samsung Pay is the most accepted mobile payment, at least that is what they claim in this ad. Why would they lie? /s

Being very sneaky. They're claiming almost all merchants accept Samsung Pay (because they can use the magnetic stripe via LoopPay).

What Samsung fails to tell you is that you first need to get your bank to update their software so that your card is supported. Then, and only then, will your card work at those merchants. And this is the area where Apple is light years ahead. By the time Samsung gets most banks to support Samsung Pay, the majority of merchants will have new terminals anyway.

• Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Come on, TD Canada, get this going. I've been waiting for a year now to start using Apple Pay.

ApplyPay is the one feature that might get me to buy the watch (now that I have a phone)

• Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Bank of the West and Fidelity where the hell are you? Fire your dumbass legal team, marketing team and or IT heads and get some competent people in charge!

Fidelity doesn't issue their own cards, they are white-label Bank of America, for now at least. There's rumors of a switch. Or perhaps the problem is that there isn't enough money to offer the generous rewards and for Fidelity to take their cut.

• Reply 9 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Who cares? It’s the merchants that need to get onboard. And they need to educate their people. Tried to use Apple Pay at Walgreens yesterday. I’ve used it at the same store a number of times without issue. Yesterday, however, the terminal decided to decline the transaction twice and I had whip out my card and swipe it. That kind of nonsense is what will turn people off to electronic payment systems. There’s a preciously small window of tolerance for that kind of stuff before people will simply give up on it.

• Reply 10 of 37
    How many banks are there in the USA? I think we have 29 banks and credit unions combined in Canada.
  • Reply 11 of 37

On the merchant side, I had a great experience at BJ's Brewhouse: (Virginia)

- Their app tracks the cost of your order (entered by the server).

- When done eating, you can pay via their app -- including its support for Apple Pay -- while sitting at the table.

- The server does not need to get involved in the payment at all.

• Reply 12 of 37
    slprescott wrote: »
    On the merchant side, I had a great experience at BJ's Brewhouse: (Virginia)

- Their app tracks the cost of your order (entered by the server).
      - When done eating, you can pay via their app -- including its support for Apple Pay -- while sitting at the table.
      - The server does not need to get involved in the payment at all.

As the restauranteur, how are you notified of the payment at the table?
  • Reply 13 of 37
    cbrooker wrote: »
    We need merchants to accept this. Right now in my universe only McDonald's, Panera and Amazon accept payment.

Now that they apparently have Canada and Australian banks coming aboard, many other countries for 2016, and another mobile OS is now supporting the same model as ApplePay, I think we'll see merchant growth grow over the next year. Remember, it's only been a year since it was launched. This is damn fast considering what the banks had to do to support ApplePay.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    As the restauranteur, how are you notified of the payment at the table?

I see what you mean; there needs to be more communication so the restaurant knows who has and hasn't paid.

With Starbucks and the Starbucks app, when using the mobile order option, it prints out a sticker (read: receipt) as soon as you pay. Perhaps the restaurant gets a printed receipt immediately that the server can then bring to your table or someone brings to the server so he's aware that you've paid.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So what CC will be supported in Canada? Only Amex? In all my years here I've seen maybe ONE person use that card. Pretty pathetic if that is the extent of the Canadian launch. 

• Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So what CC will be supported in Canada? Only Amex? In all my years here I've seen maybe ONE person use that card. Pretty pathetic if that is the extent of the Canadian launch. 

Really? One person? That is pretty pathetic in itself. I use my AMEX Gold card all the time. Great service and good rewards, plus they have offices all over the world in case you need help while traveling. That is the only card I bothered to put in Apple Pay.  I never use my debit card for anything but getting cash from the ATM. If an establishment does not accept AMEX, which I haven't experienced in a very long time, I'll use a Visa.

• Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cbrooker View Post

Amazon accepts Apple Pay?

I have never seen an Apple Pay button on the Amazon App or Web.

How do you set it up?

• Reply 18 of 37
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member

A lot of businesses have been dropping AMEX.

The great rewards are on the backs of the retailers who are paying a commission that is often nearly double what Visa and Mastercard collect.

• Reply 19 of 37

Amazon accepts Apple Pay?
    I have never seen an Apple Pay button on the Amazon App or Web.
    How do you set it up?

Reportedly, in their iOS app, which I haven't tested, as well as they support Apple Pay with their Amazon Chase VISA card, which I have tested.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mknelson View Post

A lot of businesses have been dropping AMEX.

I think credit card use and merchant acceptance is generally increasing for all card brands. I don't see business dropping AMEX as much as  businesses that never accepted it to start with. I find it is accepted nearly everywhere I go. Pretty much all the major retailers accept it. Smaller private shops tend to not accept it as much, but I don't shop in those types of stores very often. I also heard that local governments such as water department, or city services are less likely to accept it. I pay my CA property tax with AMEX to get the miles. In Panama, where I live half the year, AMEX is accepted everywhere that accepts credit cards, at least in my experience. We also accept AMEX and I think the fees are around 3.5% where as Visa is around 2.5%. If you were really concerned about the fees, you could always try Square which I think is 3% or less for all cards including AMEX.