Country star Kenny Chesney promotes Apple Music free trial, Apple Watch fitness in new ad

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
The latest advertisement for the Apple Music subscription service showcases pre-show preparations by country artist Kenny Chesney, including a trip to the gym tracked by his Apple Watch.

Saying that music is "the last real thing we've got," Chesney is shown warming up for a show at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., as part of his "No Shoes Nation" tour.

Featuring a behind-the-scenes look at a day in the life of the megastar, Chesney is shown creating a custom "Show Day" playlist on Apple Music. In an accompanying voiceover, he promotes Apple Music as a superior service where "music is treated with a real reverence and respect."

The ad doesn't just promote Apple Music, however -- Chesney's show day routine also includes a trip to the gym, where he tracks his exercise progress with an Apple Watch and its built-in Activity app.

The minute-long spot debuted Wednesday night during the Country Music Association Awards. Chesney also appeared on the show itself at Nashville's Bridgestone Arena, performing the hit "Save It for a Rainy Day."

The ad concludes by letting viewers know they can sign up now for a three-month free trial, while adoring fans cheer on Chesney at that night's performance.. "Apple Music --?this is where I live," Chesney says in the voiceover to end the commercial.

Advertisements for Apple Music have spanned a range of genres to promote the service, with previous TV commercials turning to The Weeknd, Flo Morrissey, Leon Bridges, Flying Lotus, Shamir, U2, and Mary J. Blige as pitch people.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    What other tech besides Apple has the connections and the money to throw at high-profile advertisements and promotions like this for what's considered only an add-on service with little effect on their bottom line? Well done Apple! Can't say folks won't be aware of it, unlike some services that should be competing with them but don't have the resources to. Not a chance in Hades Apple Music won't be successful IMHO.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Great idea to run an ad during the CMAs.

I'm not a Country fan, but it's a significant chunk of the market and it's good to see Apple address those listeners. They need more of these targeted at all the genres.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Yes, treated with such respect that iCloud Music Library loves wrecking libraries and "doing its own thing".

Promoting it is fine; don't promise what you can't deliver.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Is he wearing the leather loop to the gym!? Yikes, he's gonna go through a few smelly bands in a short amount of time doing that!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

What other tech besides Apple has the connections and the money to throw at high-profile advertisements and promotions like this for what's considered only an add-on service with little effect on their bottom line? Well done Apple! Can't say folks won't be aware of it, unlike some services that should be competing with them but don't have the resources to. Not a chance in Hades Apple Music won't be successful IMHO.

It doesn't matter what the negative considerations against Apple Music are. All that matters are those customers who like it and subscribe. (I'm one of them.) This is a good ad which will invite many new customers into the fold.

• Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yes, treated with such respect that iCloud Music Library loves wrecking libraries and "doing its own thing".

iCloud Music Library hasn't wrecked my library nor is it doing its own thing.  Those initial problems have been corrected.

I LOVE Apple Music. Not only does it allow me to carry my entire music library on my iPhone when combined with iCloud Music Library, it allows me to find new music with human curated choices!  And I LOVE the live music from Apple Music's Beats 1 Station.

I LOVE how Apple Music plus the iTunes Music Store plus iCloud Music Library means I can play and store virtually every music song available. And with the latest stars like Adele, I don't even have to think about buying albums.  It is available already on Apple Music when released.

• Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Apple Music didn't mess up my iCloud Music Library.

I love Apple Music, and I'm now a subscriber.

Quit complaining and move on.

• Reply 8 of 14

Been a big fan of Apple Music myself. The only thing I hate about it is that once you turn on Cloud Music Library, there is no way to manually copy songs to your iPhone that aren't eligible to be transferred to the cloud. This would include tracks that are exceptionally long (DJ Sets) and spoken word files that are below their acceptable bit rate.

Only way I've found to get around it is to disable Cloud Music Library, manually copy over the songs, reenable Cloud Music Library, merge the libraries and then they will stay on your phone. I hate that I have to do that, but Apple is preparing us for a world where we don't provide our own tracks anymore. I would predict I'm one of the few people who have even discovered this issue, much less consider it an issue in the first place.

• Reply 9 of 14
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

danielsw wrote: »

Apple Music didn't mess up my iCloud Music Library.

I love Apple Music, and I'm now a subscriber.

Quit complaining and move on.

'The tornado that wrecked your house didn't touch mine, the wildfire that burned your house didn't touch mine, the hurricane that flooded your house didn't affect mine, the earthquake that damaged your house didn't hurt mine ... so shut up about your problems'

HA!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why is it when someone has issues with an Apple product or service others swoop in to say they don't have the problem so shut up. There are lots of people that have issues with Apple Music (including huge Apple fan Jim Dalrymple). I haven't really run into those issues but I still think the product is very unapple like. Instead of being focused, simple and intuitive Apple basically threw in the kitchen sink and made it more confusing and overwhelming than it needs to be. Some of the touch targets are so tiny, I pity anyone with fat fingers. Also 3D Touch was incorporated into the app but not everywhere and there is no haptic feedback for things not supported (like you get when you hard press on the icon of an app that doesn't yet support it). Both Apple Music and ?TV could use more polish IMO.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    I don't listen to country music, but that is a pretty nice ad.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

Been a big fan of Apple Music myself. The only thing I hate about it is that once you turn on Cloud Music Library, there is no way to manually copy songs to your iPhone that aren't eligible to be transferred to the cloud. This would include tracks that are exceptionally long (DJ Sets) and spoken word files that are below their acceptable bit rate.

Only way I've found to get around it is to disable Cloud Music Library, manually copy over the songs, reenable Cloud Music Library, merge the libraries and then they will stay on your phone. I hate that I have to do that, but Apple is preparing us for a world where we don't provide our own tracks anymore. I would predict I'm one of the few people who have even discovered this issue, much less consider it an issue in the first place.

Can't you just play use the multitude of media players with a dlna, webdav, ftp or their own WIFI servers and transfer it that way? Of course, then the music is tied to the App and not played with your other music, but you can still play it :-).

• Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Can't you just play use the multitude of media players with a dlna, webdav, ftp or their own WIFI servers and transfer it that way? Of course, then the music is tied to the App and not played with your other music, but you can still play it :-).

Sure, I could do that, and have to some extent (using VLC). But why would I want to do that, besides it being my only option? Back when Apple just had iTunes Match, I could manually copy over music to my iOS devices that weren't compatible with iTunes Match. Now Apple has removed any and all ways for me to easily sync tracks to my devices that aren't eligible for Cloud Library/iTunes Match.

It isn't the end of the world, but it's more proof to me that Apple Music was a rushed project and has many "gotchas" as I play with it more. I'm still satisfied with the product, I'm just bummed they've caused this issue for me.

• Reply 14 of 14
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,834moderator
    The ad represents a significant country music star as putting his stamp of approval on Apple, Apple Music, the iPhone, and the Apple Watch. And it all rings true. Excellent ad.