Apple retains US smartphone lead as LG reports surprising positive growth, study says

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Apple's iPhone was again the top smartphone in the U.S. market for the third quarter of 2015, according to analytics firm comScore, but Korean company LG was the only manufacturer to enjoy sequential gains.

ComScore's MobiLens service found Apple captured 43.6 percent of all U.S. subscribers during the three months ending in September, a gain of 1.9 percent compared to last year. The number is down 0.5 percent from last quarter's 44.1 percent share, though Apple has traditionally seen a dip moving into the annual iPhone refresh cycle.

Samsung came in second with a 27.6 percent marketshare, matching Apple's sequential quarters decline of 0.5 percent. Surprisingly, LG was the only OEM to gain subscribers over the three-month period, boosting its stake in the U.S. market to 9.4 percent, a 1.1 percent rise since the end of June.

Motorola and HTC rounded out the top five with a respective 4.8 percent and 3.3 percent share of the market, both down 0.1 percent sequentially.

Android and iOS again dominated in the September quarter, though Google's operating system gained 0.7 percent to end the period with a 52.3 percent share, while Apple's OS share shrunk 0.5 percent to end at 43.6 percent. Microsoft, BlackBerry and Symbian all saw zero movement and retained 2.9 percent, 1.2 percent and 0.1 percent shares of the market, respectively.

Apple's smartphone lead is expected to widen in the coming months as statistics reflect demand for the latest iPhone 6s, which saw a record-breaking 13 million unit sales over its first weekend of availability. Some investors came away unimpressed by the performance, however, saying the number should have been higher considering China's inclusion as a launch country.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Android is not a smartphone manufacturer, surely the list should say 'All Android smartphones',
  • Reply 2 of 35
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Android is not a smartphone manufacturer, surely the list should say 'All Android smartphones',

Well, the list say Android platform

• Reply 3 of 35
    Smartphone Platforms- why do comscore list Apple as the platform and not iOS?
  • Reply 4 of 35
    I think the most interesting pattern in these two tables is comparing Samsung and LG:

During a period where Samsung was feverishly trying to regain traction, consumers went in the other direction. When customers were looking for an Android-based alternative to iPhone, they chose LG, not Samsung.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    slprescott wrote: »
    During a period where Samsung was feverishly trying to regain traction, consumers went in the other direction. When customers were looking for an Android-based alternative to iPhone, they chose LG, not Samsung.

Actually, the data shows the opposite of that assertion: an overwhelming number of people chose Samsung over LG. ~28% Samsung, vs ~10% LG.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    I am happy LG is going up. More choice is never a bad thing... I do wonder where is huawei on this from other reports the chinise manufacturer is number one in the world.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    smack416 wrote: »
    Actually, the data shows the opposite of that assertion: an overwhelming number of people chose Samsung over LG. ~28% Samsung, vs ~10% LG.

I think the point is that Samsung's loss was either LG's or Apple's gain despite Samsung's aggressive marketing. But LG still won't be any threat to Samsung for at least another few years at this rate.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smack416 View Post

This is an ALL time (user base) report updated every quarter. So even a half-percent change represents a significant short term shift. For Apple it did not count iPhone 6s sales, so the drop is due to their seasonal release pattern, usually Apple catches up in subsequent quarters.

• Reply 9 of 35
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    The weird thing is; I wouldn't know an LG smartphone if it hit me in the nose.
    I guess (going by the article) I must have seen one before. But I would never had known it.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    You are right, in terms of absolute numbers.

What I meant to say -- but did so poorly -- regarded their relative performance vs. previous periods. During a time when Samsung was working hard to reverse its declining market share and capture growth in the Android market, they were clearly unsuccessful because those Android customers willing to choose a new device family chose LG, not Samsung.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

I think the most interesting pattern in these two tables is comparing Samsung and LG:

Samsung is copying it wrong .....

Couldn't resist :smokey:

• Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

During a time when Samsung was working hard to reverse its declining market share and capture growth in the Android market, they were clearly unsuccessful because those Android customers willing to choose a new device family chose LG, not Samsung.

I hear your first point. A 0.5% decline is a strong hit if your target was significant % growth. But I'm not sure the 1% swing from Apple and Samsung to LG is the issue, assuming your argument is that Samsung was targeting significantly greater than 1% growth. In that case, Samsung's primary issue remains iOS.

In either case, we'd do well to also ask at what price and profit that 1% LG gain was at, and the Samsung lost was at. The impact on Apple was likely far more significant than Samsung's losses and LG's gains given Apple's ASP and profit margins.

• Reply 13 of 35
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jason98 wrote: »

This is an ALL time (user base) report updated every quarter. So even a half-percent change represents a significant short term shift. For Apple it did not count iPhone 6s sales, so the drop is due to their seasonal release pattern, usually Apple catches up in subsequent quarters.

Apple (iOS) should've seen growth if it's really true that people are switching away from Android in record numbers. You're forgetting that the report includes September sales which had the best launch weekend ever.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Apple (iOS) should've seen growth if it's really true that people are switching away from Android in record numbers. You're forgetting that the report includes September sales which had the best launch weekend ever.

Not necessarily. There are several things to consider. A few that readily come to my mind are:

1. How did comScore source their data?
    2. Those weekend sales, while massive for a new device, account for what percentage of the total smartphones bought for that one month or 3 month segment according to comScore's accounting?
    3. Are switchers from Android to iOS/iPhone likely to be buying site unseen weeks in advance, or likely to be buying a little later, after the reviews are in and/or they can see how the device feels?
    4. Does comScore even do their calculations for the weekend or for the entire month? For instance, if they simply choose a store that sells various devices and then look at in-store sales they would not have recorded any bump from 6S-series sales.
    5. How does Apple account for switchers? For instance, most of them are from cheap tablets to the iPad?
  • Reply 15 of 35
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »

Not necessarily. There are several things to consider. A few that readily come to my mind are:

1. How did comScore source their data?
    2. Those weekend sales, while massive for a new device, account for what percentage of the total smartphones bought for that one month or 3 month segment according to comScore's accounting?
    3. Are switchers from Android to iOS/iPhone likely to be buying site unseen weeks in advance, or likely to be buying a little later, after the reviews are in and/or they can see how the device feels?
    4. Does comScore even do their calculations for the weekend or for the entire month? For instance, if they simply choose a store that sells various devices and then look at in-store sales they would not have recorded any bump from 6S-series sales.
    5. How does Apple account for switchers? For instance, most of them are from cheap tablets to the iPad?

There are other factors as well. The 30% of switchers excludes first time buyers (never previously owned a smartphone). How many of the 47.5 million iPhones were purchased by a first time buyer? 10,15,20%?

It's obvious Apple gained market share somewhere, but where? Is it possible that iOS made massive market share increases in other countries while losing some in the US? If so, how? Market getting bigger, and most of that are buying Android? Switchers from iOS to Android? Or a combination?
  • Reply 16 of 35
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    There are other factors as well. The 30% of switchers excludes first time buyers (never previously owned a smartphone). How many of the 47.5 million iPhones were purchased by a first time buyer? 10,15,20%?

It's obvious Apple gained market share somewhere, but where? Is it possible that iOS made massive market share increases in other countries while losing some in the US? If so, how? Market getting bigger, and most of that are buying Android? Switchers from iOS to Android? Or a combination?

1) My unscientific feeling is that the smartphone market is simply getting larger as "smartphones" get less and less expensive.

2) I do one Peraon who just moved from a dumb phone to an iPhone, so it's interesting they will not be counted in that switchers number. I'm not sure I ever considered that. They are in Verizon, and with the new Verizon plans they will pay just as much as they have been paying for years now, without the data plan attached.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smack416 View Post

Actually, date shows that LG gained 1.1%, while Samsung lost 0.5 and Apple lost 0.5.

That does look like people got upset with Apple and switched, but they didn't want to choose Samsung and instead went for LG.

And another part is - Samsung users got fed up with it but since they wanted Android, they chose LG.

"overwhelming number of people chose Samsung

Two words  - cheap devices. 

Samsung dominates because it creates tons of cheap "smart"phones.

• Reply 18 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Huh upset at apple, what the hell are you saying bud, this is the god damn quarter were apple sells the least and everyone else has a new phone out, use logic next time
  • Reply 19 of 35
    bobschlob wrote: »
    The weird thing is; I wouldn't know an LG smartphone if it hit me in the nose.
    I guess (going by the article) I must have seen one before. But I would never had known it.

LG Best phones are probably the Nexus 5, Nexus 5x, LG G3 and LG G4
  • Reply 20 of 35
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Zuykov View Post

Actually, date shows that LG gained 1.1%, while Samsung lost 0.5 and Apple lost 0.5.

That does look like people got upset with Apple and switched, but they didn't want to choose Samsung and instead went for LG.

And another part is - Samsung users got fed up with it but since they wanted Android, they chose LG.

"overwhelming number of people chose Samsung

Two words  - cheap devices. 

Samsung dominates because it creates tons of cheap "smart"phones.

Wrong again Samsung creates dam good phones.