What MacRumors forum has become lately ...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited November 2015

Hi, I just want to share my thoughts (rants) about the moderation, and the website in general, of another well known Apple based site: MacRumors.

I'm a long time user, and a very active one, with thousands of posts. I'm even a contributor of the websites (paid real money), and I like it, basically, because it is useful for an Apple enthusiast like me .... or maybe it WAS useful.

Lately, in the last two years, it become an haters' nest. Flames, personal attacks .... if you like Apple, you basically are defined as an iSheep and dismissed.

If you don't bash Apple on every single thread, you are nothing...

And the worst thing is: moderators are following this path.

There are a couple (maybe more than 2....) that basically are Android/Microsoft supporters, fighting their personal war against avery real Apple user. I started to complain with forum admins about that, and the results were obvious: forum's admin defended moderators behavior and did basically nothing to protect me.

Last events are almost ridiculous: the started sending reminders to me on every single little "violation" on the forum (like two consecutive posts when Im writing dozens, literally, of multi quoted posts per day) to have a valid excuse to ban me every few days without a reason...

No way I can defend myself, since it takes a click for the moderator to ban me, and the admin is ignoring my complains (or respond several days later, often when the ban is already lifted).

This is real mobbing, perpetrated by cowards...

Anyone has similar experience on their forums ?

 

Max

tallest skil
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 34

    We actually had a thread here a while back made by people who had abandoned MacRumors because of this behavior. You could probably even call me the first of that exodus.

     

    Welcome. Kick back and stay a while. We’re more Apple-y here.

  • Reply 2 of 34
    maxitmaxit Posts: 159member
    Well, I'm not a blind fanboy (I'm over 43, no longer a kid), but I surely am an happy Apple customer, since 1989.
    I'm not always defending Apple, but what I'm seeing on MR lately is scaring. And being harassed by moderators that are supposed to "defend" me, with the approval of the administrator, was a very unpleasant experience....
    Very sad
    We actually had a thread here a while back made by people who had abandoned MacRumors because of this behavior. You could probably even call me the first of that exodus.

    Welcome. Kick back and stay a while. We’re more Apple-y here.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,963member
    maxit wrote: »
    Well, I'm not a blind fanboy (I'm over 43, no longer a kid), but I surely am an happy Apple customer, since 1989.
    I'm not always defending Apple, but what I'm seeing on MR lately is scaring. And being harassed by moderators that are supposed to "defend" me, with the approval of the administrator, was a very unpleasant experience....
    Very sad
    Well then make yourself a home here at AI. There's some smart guys (and gals) here, and a lot of open minds.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    maxitmaxit Posts: 159member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Well then make yourself a home here at AI. There's some smart guys (and gals) here, and a lot of open minds.
    Said the most known fandroid of the AI forum ... :)

    Joke aside, I'm a tech enthusiast, owning android and Windows devices along with my iDevices. I'm open to any discussion, even if I don't agree with someone else opinion. The respect is the base for a community.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,963member
    maxit wrote: »
    Said the most known fandroid of the AI forum ... :)

    Joke aside, I'm a tech enthusiast, owning android and Windows devices along with my iDevices. I'm open to any discussion, even if I don't agree with someone else opinion. The respect is the base for a community.

    LOL. :D

    There's probably a lower tolerance for FUD here than some other sites, making it a good place for a tech enthusiast to hang around. Welcome!
  • Reply 6 of 34
    maxitmaxit Posts: 159member

    Just a quick update: I wrote a complaining mail to Arn, the MacRumors' site owner. Still no answer (I'm not expecting any), but the forum admin replied to me this morning, after ignoring my reports for 3 days, saying that he's aware of my contact with the site owner and he waiting for his intervention before saying anything.

    I think my account will be permanently banned. If they are honest they will refund my subscription ....

  • Reply 7 of 34
    maxitmaxit Posts: 159member

    lol, it's getting ridiculous: I'm banned again, for another frivolous reason...

    It would be even comical it it wasn't frustrating ....

  • Reply 8 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,963member
    maxit wrote: »
    lol, it's getting ridiculous: I'm banned again, for another frivolous reason...
    It would be even comical it it wasn't frustrating ....
    Is it insults getting their attention? IMO there's far too much attacking the person rather than their position at many tech sites nowadays. I fault forum leaders for allowing it to get a foothold in the first place. There's never been a forum that I've had the pleasure of moderating where that became a problem. Just wasn't allowed to start so it never required an overly firm hand to deal with the aftereffects.

    Sadly it may require a whole lotta harsh dealing to get the egregious trolling there under control. No doubt it feels unfair for those who have been members for a long time and never saw forum rules as strictly enforced in the past as they do now. I rarely visit there myself but browsing thru some of the posts there I can see there's obviously a lot of work to do.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    maxitmaxit Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Is it insults getting their attention? IMO there's far too much attacking the person rather than their position at many tech sites nowadays. I fault forum leaders for allowing it to get a foothold in the first place. There's never been a forum that I've had the pleasure of moderating where that became a problem. Just wasn't allowed to start so it never required an overly firm hand to deal with the aftereffects.



    Sadly it may require a whole lotta harsh dealing to get the egregious trolling there under control. No doubt it feels unfair for those who have been members for a long time and never saw forum rules as strictly enforced in the past as they do now. I rarely visit there myself but browsing thru some of the posts there I can see there's obviously a lot of work to do.

    indeed.

    I was a moderator myself, a senior moderator to be honest, on a quite big italian tech website a while ago, for about 5 years (it took a lot of my time so I resigned ...): never seen such a behavior.

    In this case the staff is HARASSING an user ... that's shocking.

     

    Still no response from the website owner.

  • Reply 10 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,963member
    maxit wrote: »
    indeed.
    I was a moderator myself, a senior moderator to be honest, on a quite big italian tech website a while ago, for about 5 years (it took a lot of my time so I resigned...
    Then you recognize the biggest problem destroying user forums: The users themselves.

    Curious what the mods at MacRumors are doing in the "harassment" area tho. If you're doing something that you do know from your moderator days isn't the proper way to behave then that's correctable and eventually the mods will take you off radar when you come to grips with it.

    If instead you're doing everything you know to be respectful of others there (even tho they may disrespect you in return) while following other forum rules then either grin and bear it while assuming things will gradually get better or spend more time here having those courteous interchanges. That would be my advice.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

    Then you recognize the biggest problem destroying user forums: The users themselves.



    Well, paid shills and bots. Governments, corporations, etc. The number of commenting systems (and consequently the number of backend code bases) is shrinking. All the easier to write bots.

  • Reply 12 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,963member

    Well, paid shills and bots. Governments, corporations, etc. The number of commenting systems (and consequently the number of backend code bases) is shrinking. All the easier to write bots.
    Are the bots insulting other members and raising the ire of those the insults were directed at, who then reply in kind? Are the bots personally attacking new members, driving them off to some other site?

    IMHO bots are a problem for mods and admins because they require so much time blocking and outsmarting, nevermind the time I would spend removing the ones that managed to get thru. But those don't usually destroy a forum. IMO it's the way forum members conduct themselves that's the killer.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

    Are the bots insulting other members and raising the ire of those the insults were directed at, who then reply in kind?



    I don’t see why they couldn’t, dummy.

     

    See? Just code “, dummy.” at the end of every regular sentence and you’re already on your way to hooking the less perceptive people. Even if it’s at the end of every sentence, the people who will notice this “childish behavior” will have their ire raised. Shake it up with more creative insults and a less frequent occurrence and it will seem real, idiot.

     

    ;)

     

    A lot of people are pretty easy. That’s almost as scary as the existence of the bots and paid shills.

  • Reply 14 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,963member

    I don’t see why they couldn’t, dummy.

    See? Just code “, dummy.” at the end of every regular sentence and you’re already on your way to hooking the less perceptive people. Even if it’s at the end of every sentence, the people who will notice this “childish behavior” will have their ire raised. Shake it up with more creative insults and a less frequent occurrence and it will seem real, idiot.

    ;)

    A lot of people are pretty easy. That’s almost as scary as the existence of the bots and paid shills.
    Sounds like an unlikely problem. Perhaps there's a rare instance of it.

    I'm guessing you would disagree with me that the primary member facing problem is most often the members themselves. I'm frankly surprised. Well then we should just carry on as many of us do, it's the bots that are the problem and not the disrespectful way we too often communicate with each other?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Hi everyone. So, I ve been an avid MR visitor, posting all day but lately with this whole ios 9 and its fanboys, I snapped a few times and they started to suspend me. Now a few days ago they suspended me again, like the 4th time, and I decided to make a new accound, BIG MISTAKE. Now when I try to read the forum, it says that my IP has been banned. Does this mean that I will never be able to post on that forum again? Or can I use a different IP and make a new account? Cause I live in to different cities at once.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    fatpuppy said:
    I decided to make a new accound, BIG MISTAKE.
    Yep.
    Does this mean that I will never be able to post on that forum again?
    Yep!
    Or can I use a different IP and make a new account?
    Well, that should work. Try to vary your posting style a little and don’t use login or signup information in any way similar to that you used initially.
     Cause I live in to different cities at once.
    Hey, quantum superposition. I can dig it.
    Straw, quantum superposition. I can’t dig it.
    Then again, you could always stick around... here!
  • Reply 17 of 34
    maxitmaxit Posts: 159member
    If they ban your account you're basically done with them....

    BTW after the last suspension (for not less than 26 days for saying this:"I'll try some basic math. Not sure you can get it, but i'll try nevertheless...") Im thinking about asking them to cancel my account.

  • Reply 18 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,963member
    maxit said:
    If they ban your account you're basically done with them....

    BTW after the last suspension (for not less than 26 days for saying this:"I'll try some basic math. Not sure you can get it, but i'll try nevertheless...") Im thinking about asking them to cancel my account.

    I've no idea why so many folks feel the need to personally insult others "anonymously" on-line anyway. What would have been wrong with simply saying "Just use basic math" without adding "not sure you can get it" as tho the target of your ad-hom is lesser than you. IMHO nothing, and the mods there would seem to agree with me. 
    edited February 2016 SpamSandwichcrowley
  • Reply 19 of 34
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,360member
    MacRumors is complete garbage. I'm glad that I left that place many, many years ago. The forums are a complete joke and the mods there can go jump off a bridge. Totally biased and unfair. 

    No site is 100% perfect of course, but I find AI to be 100 X better.
    edited February 2016 redhotfuzz
  • Reply 20 of 34
    maxitmaxit Posts: 159member
    gatorguy said:
    maxit said:
    If they ban your account you're basically done with them....

    BTW after the last suspension (for not less than 26 days for saying this:"I'll try some basic math. Not sure you can get it, but i'll try nevertheless...") Im thinking about asking them to cancel my account.

    I've no idea why so many folks feel the need to personally insult others "anonymously" on-line anyway. What would have been wrong with simply saying "Just use basic math" without adding "not sure you can get it" as tho the target of your ad-hom is lesser than you. IMHO nothing, and the mods there would seem to agree with me. 
    You have to take my post in context... The guy I was replying to is a troll. He went on for several days trying to provoke Apple's users in any way, stating the iPhone is a ridiculous product even if proven wrong with many benchmarks. My post was even too much polite in that case......
    edited February 2016
Sign In or Register to comment.