What MacRumors forum has become lately ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    maxitmaxit Posts: 159member

apple ][ said:
    MacRumors is complete garbage. I'm glad that I left that place many, many years ago. The forums are a complete joke and the mods there can go jump off a bridge. Totally biased and unfair. 

No site is 100% perfect of course, but I find AI to be 100 X better.
    I wouldn't call them "biased", but surely unfair.
    I basically started a discussion with two mods one year ago, reported that to the site owner, and they came after me all together , giving me reminders and suspensions for frivolous reasons....
  • Reply 22 of 35
    If you dont like Macrumors then dont post there.  I looked at many of your post there after reading this and you do come off as insulting and rude.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Screw MacRumors. Their forums have become a cesspool of anti-Apple trolls & rabid Google/Microsoft fanboys. Confront them and the mods will slap you down and eventually ban you entirely. I was an active forum member for 15+ years until I was eventually banned for arguing with the Fandroids. The mods over there seem perfectly happy to coddle those who participate in the forum only to stir up contention and perfectly willing to ban long-time forum members who happen to be happy with their Apple products and are willing to say it.

AppleInsider has far more insightful original content and the forums aren't hostile to Apple fans (imagine that!).

MacRumors sucks. Good riddance.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    fatpuppy said:
    Does this mean that I will never be able to post on that forum again? Or can I use a different IP and make a new account? Cause I live in to different cities at once.
    Why even bother? Some Android fanatic will call you a "sheep" for using Apple stuff, you'll respond with something snarky and a mod will immediately throw you into a timeout (but not the Android fanatic, of course).

Their moderation is a joke and the forum has been overrun by trolls. Sometimes it's just best to say goodbye.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Call your friends, tell them to come on over. We've got room for everybody!
    tallest skilnizmoz44
  • Reply 26 of 35
    i went to the site looking for a solution to the crappy apple car play, hoping to find a solution. The first post i found was from some 15 year old kid  that said there was absolutely nothing wrong with that system...and he had 22 likes...lol, i bitched him out and I got banned 1st post. Screw them, I hope they all die in a fire.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 41,370member
    avang003 said:
    I hope they all die in a fire.
    Caused by their Samsung phones exploding, I imagine. Not from any otherwise malicious intent.
    avang003
  • Reply 28 of 35
    nizmoz44nizmoz44 Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    maxit said:

Hi, I just want to share my thoughts (rants) about the moderation, and the website in general, of another well known Apple based site: MacRumors.

I'm a long time user, and a very active one, with thousands of posts. I'm even a contributor of the websites (paid real money), and I like it, basically, because it is useful for an Apple enthusiast like me .... or maybe it WAS useful.

Lately, in the last two years, it become an haters' nest. Flames, personal attacks .... if you like Apple, you basically are defined as an iSheep and dismissed.

If you don't bash Apple on every single thread, you are nothing...

And the worst thing is: moderators are following this path.

There are a couple (maybe more than 2....) that basically are Android/Microsoft supporters, fighting their personal war against avery real Apple user. I started to complain with forum admins about that, and the results were obvious: forum's admin defended moderators behavior and did basically nothing to protect me.

Last events are almost ridiculous: the started sending reminders to me on every single little "violation" on the forum (like two consecutive posts when Im writing dozens, literally, of multi quoted posts per day) to have a valid excuse to ban me every few days without a reason...

No way I can defend myself, since it takes a click for the moderator to ban me, and the admin is ignoring my complains (or respond several days later, often when the ban is already lifted).

This is real mobbing, perpetrated by cowards...

Anyone has similar experience on their forums ?

Max

Exact thing just happened to me recently.  The mods played favorites there, and it seems other users can insult you, but if you even have one little thing that could stir the topic up, you get warned.  They were on me to no end, and finally when I reported the mods for not playing fairly, and they said they would look into it, I got banned.  That site is a waste and we really need another good site for MAC/Apple related stuff.  I was there for years, and it ended like that.  They obviously support Android as well and all you see is negativity towards iPhones and no one stops them.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    fatpuppy said:
    Does this mean that I will never be able to post on that forum again? Or can I use a different IP and make a new account? Cause I live in to different cities at once.
    Why even bother? Some Android fanatic will call you a "sheep" for using Apple stuff, you'll respond with something snarky and a mod will immediately throw you into a timeout (but not the Android fanatic, of course).

Their moderation is a joke and the forum has been overrun by trolls. Sometimes it's just best to say goodbye.
    Exactly what happened to me when I got one of my warnings. I got called an iSheep even though I own both Android and iOS.  LOL!  And I came back at him and got warned.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 30 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,963member
    FWIW anonymity has made snarkiness, schoolyard name-calling, personal insults against people we don't even know, and general disrespectful comments somehow acceptable on the internet. Worse than that based on my personal observations is Millennials and younger seem to increasingly base their real-life actions on what they've found "acceptable" and common practice on the internet. "Respect your elders" is dying. It's really not that difficult to both disagree AND be respectful doing so at the same time. Instead far too many of us think a valid intelligent counter is "shut up ignorant troll".

IMHO if someone can't put together words that make a sensible argument then they have no business replying in the first place, much less a reply that has no purpose other than to invite an emotional reaction which is the epitome of trolling.

My view is that webmasters and moderators big mistake was letting things get to the point they are now where poster's feel they have a right to say whatever they want in whatever way they want and to whoever they want without recourse. Reining it in now is hard, but just as AI found out it's a necessary step if a site wants to be taken seriously. Some folks just won't believe they're part of the problem and perhaps do need a time-out to think about it like we did in grade-school. All trollish behavior and reactionary trollish replies accomplishes is killing off intelligent discussion, ruining forum after forum. We really need to begin remembering how to treat each other and pause before hitting "post".
    nizmoz44avon b7
  • Reply 31 of 35
    gatorguy said:
    FWIW anonymity has made snarkiness, schoolyard name-calling, personal insults against people we don't even know, and general disrespectful comments somehow acceptable on the internet.
    Anonymity has made speaking uncomfortable truths acceptable on the Internet.
    Worse than that based on my personal observations is Millennials and younger seem to increasingly base their real-life actions on what they've found "acceptable" and common practice on the internet.
    Yeah, we have at least two generations now that are completely ruined psychologically. Not the Internet’s fault, however.
    It's really not that difficult to both disagree AND be respectful doing so at the same time. Instead far too many of us think a valid intelligent counter is "shut up ignorant troll".
    Thing about that kind of response is that it instantly outs its poster as being wrong.
    IMHO if someone can't put together words that make a sensible argument then they have no business replying in the first place, much less a reply that has no purpose other than to invite an emotional reaction which is the epitome of trolling.
    👍🏻 EDIT: Oh, right. The site doesn’t let you use Unicode. That was supposed to be the ’thumbs up’ emoji.
    My view is that webmasters and moderators big mistake was letting things get to the point they are now where poster's feel they have a right to say whatever they want in whatever way they want and to whoever they want without recourse.
    On what website is that ever the case? Are you fucking kidding me?
    All trollish behavior and reactionary trollish replies accomplishes is killing off intelligent discussion, ruining forum after forum.
    The problem comes when you have people doing the moderating. Not to say that any existing automated systems are any good, just that an automated system could be made which operates exclusively on objective truth. Anything which contradicts it could be deleted or edited by the system to show the errors. Language and data parsing is good enough to do that part of it; it’s just we don’t have an aggregation of all objective scientific truth in AI moderator form. Back to the first sentence: people can be wrong. People can have worldviews that reject the existence of objective truth–never mind individual ones on a categorical basis. All anyone can do is post the truth and cite it. There’s no argument to it, regardless of the number of replies it gets. The only thing that can silence truth is post deletion, and that’s only temporary.

Back to the concept of behavior. Why should someone treat with those who actively seek his death? Just as an example.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 11,950member
    MacRumors has sucked for a while.  I'd say right to Arnold Kim's face.  His product is a cesspool. 

Funny thing is they're quick to call a rumor "sketchy" like MacRumors has any real credibility. 

• Reply 33 of 35
    Agreed to you guys.  I'll be 43 this year, and most of the users on Mac Rumors are probably half my age.  And anything they post is "fact".  They refuse to be reasonable and look at all the details.  If they own it, and think it;s the best, everything else matters.  And they will start getting into a internet/keyboard fight with you with no proof backing what they say.  And if you get into it with them, you most likely will be the one to get the AXE vs them even if they started it.

It is really sad.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    I wish I could sue them.  They had no right to ban my whole family from MacRumors.  I guess because we are all in the same house hold, using the same IP, they decided to ban all of us.  Ridiculous site.

Edit:  So it seems my brothers house in DFW also can no longer access the site.  He is 200 miles away from me, and he said they also blocked him.  I guess because I've connected to it from his Wifi in the past.  

Wow they are a bunch of idiots running that site.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    nizmoz44 said:
    I guess because I've connected to it from his Wifi in the past.
    Yep! That’s generally how these forums work; they keep logs of IP addresses, unique cookies, and browser version strings to determine who’s connecting from where. If they’re zealots over there (they obviously are), they’d take one look at the most unifying factor (probably the cookie in your case) and ban all IPs from which that cookie connected.

Whenever I get an account banned from a forum, I always wipe my cookies, change my IP, and alter my browser string before making a new account. And that’ll fool ‘em 99% of the time. The more you know!