A larger screen gives Apple's iPad Pro a more fully-featured virtual keyboard

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
The onscreen keyboard with Apple's iPad Pro includes a dedicated number and character row, as well as buttons for caps lock, tab and more, taking advantage of the device's spacious 12.9-inch display.

The full array of virtual keys, essentially matching what users would find on a standard physical keyboard, can be accessed in both portrait and landscape modes when typing on the iPad Pro.

The include the ability to tap (or temporarily hold) shift while pressing a number key to input the symbol located above it. Keys for plus, minus, equals, dash, backslash, brackets, colon, semicolon, apostrophe and more can be found on the expanded virtual keyboard.

Apple also prevents accidental pressing of the new caps lock button by requiring that users hold their finger down on it for a short period. Simply tapping the caps lock button will not enable it.

When switching to the numeric and symbol keypad (by pressing the ".?123" button to the right of the spacebar), more symbols can be accessed, including currencies and even an ellipses button. In this keyboard, buttons on the far left include undo and redo options.

While the virtual keyboard has gained a great deal, it also loses one key feature: the split keyboard option.

With the iPad Air and iPad mini, users can take two thumbs and drag the keyboard apart to allow easier access for typing. That's not possible with the iPad Pro, presumably because Apple feels the device is too large to simultaneously hold and type on.

The onscreen virtual keyboard does automatically disappear once a user connects a hardware keyboard to the Smart Connector. It is replaced by a small menu bar at the bottom of the screen that includes QuickType suggestions, and shortcut buttons to font adjustments, where applicable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is all very nice. But I still think that the key to clear the screen of the keyboard is too wide. Same thing for the number shift keys. If they made the keyboard key narrower, and the number shift key narrower, on both sides, and the emoji, keyboard key narrower, they could move that .com key to the left side, and put arrow keys on the bottom right. That would be a great thing to have back.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Never used the split keyboard. I wouldn't even consider it a key feature to most users. Am I alone?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by osmartormenajr View Post

Never used the split keyboard. I wouldn't even consider it a key feature to most users. Am I alone?

Yes, you are absolutely alone. Everyone is using it. Absolutely.

• Reply 4 of 18

What if... you could use the iPad Pro keyboard to input text into your AppleTV?

• Reply 5 of 18
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    I'll go out on a limb here and predict that the next iPad Pro will have force touch, making the virtual keyboard even more useful.

It will also make the Apple Pencil more useful too.

Think I'll wait...
  • Reply 6 of 18
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

This is supposed to be a "pro" iPad, but where are the Ctrl and Esc keys?

• Reply 7 of 18
    xixo wrote: »
    I'll go out on a limb here and predict that the next iPad Pro will have force touch, making the virtual keyboard even more useful.

It will also make the Apple Pencil more useful too.

Think I'll wait...

the pencil already has levels of force. 3D Touch is for fingers, which do the touching in its name.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Nope. It's kinda silly.

• Reply 9 of 18
    urahara wrote: »

Yes, you as absolutely alone. Everyone is using it. Absolutely.
    mike1 wrote: »

Nope. It's kinda silly.

I'm going out a limb here and take the first as sarcasm... But then again, English is not my first language!
    And yes, I tried the split keyboard when it launched in iOS 5, I believe, not my thing... literally "all thumbs", worst typing ever!

A lot o people bash the iPad as a "content consuming" device, which I disagree. I work a lot on it. I type almost as fast in it as in my aging notebook, with the advantage of no stuck keys. The supposed lack of tactile feedback is a non issue for me, at least. The iPad Pro looks like a great upgrade to my iPad 2.

Too bad it will sell for more than 2000 US dollars here in Brazil... that's a bummer for sure!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Talking about "fully-featured" whatever... Do you want a total fully-featured computer? Then get a Mac!

• Reply 11 of 18
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    It is strange that the first full size virtual keyboard necessitates the need of a physical smart keyboard.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

I use it all the time on my iPad Air. When you're holding the iPad with both hands and typing with your thumbs, it's essential.

• Reply 13 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    cpsro wrote: »

Good question ... Is it perhaps because iOS isn't dependent on those keys the way OS X is?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

And where's that damned serial port? You can criticize things the iPad Pro lacks, but a missing Ctrl key it's an especially valid choice.

• Reply 15 of 18
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good question ... Is it perhaps because iOS isn't dependent on those keys [Ctrl and Esc] the way OS X is?

Think outside the brick. When managing a remote OS X or Linux computer, Ctrl and Esc are ["for many, many people"] essential.

With the on-screen keyboard being a "soft" keyboard, iOS really ought to provide more flexibility/customizability. (And I'm not talking about anything so silly as keyboard extensions that don't function without being given permission to log your every keystroke and access every resource on your device--this from the "privacy" guards at Apple.)

• Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is all very nice. But I still think that the key to clear the screen of the keyboard is too wide. Same thing for the number shift keys. If they made the keyboard key narrower, and the number shift key narrower, on both sides, and the emoji, keyboard key narrower, they could move that .com key to the left side, and put arrow keys on the bottom right. That would be a great thing to have back.

Maybe they should just offer a way for users to configure their own keyboard (just as is done with browser toolbars on the desktop versions of most browsers these days). A customizable keyboard would allow for the creation of text macros and other timesavers.

• Reply 17 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Think outside the brick. When managing a remote OS X or Linux computer, Ctrl and Esc are ["for many, many people"] essential.

With the on-screen keyboard being a "soft" keyboard, iOS really ought to provide more flexibility/customizability. (And I'm not talking about anything so silly as keyboard extensions that don't function without being given permission to log your every keystroke and access every resource on your device--this from the "privacy" guards at Apple.)

Why the invective? Jeez I am close to giving up on AI so many people have lost the art of civil conversation. I agreed with you it was odd but wondered if Apple might not consider them critical to iOS. Then again maybe there is something we don't know about the keyboard yet.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Well I also don't use split keyboard. Also don't like touch screen keyboards (only on mobile phones) on big displays. Recently I was listening to podcast from #iPadOnly user and those guys do some analyse of touch keybord on iPad Pro: https://the-podcast.squarespace.com/episodes/27