Questions about saving some DVDs to a Flash or SSD drive

Posted:
in Mac Software edited November 2015

Hi. I don't know if this post is appropriate for this forum, but I didn't know where else to post it. If this post isn't right for this forum, can you let me know where else I could post it, such as another website?

Here's the situation:

My dad took thousands of slides during his life -- photographs of my family and relatives. Last year, my mom went to Costco and had the slides transferred to DVD. There are about twelve DVDs.

I'm thinking now that I want to put them all on one Flash or SSD drive. I have some questions, though, because the Costco DVDs don't just have the photos. They also have other files for a DVD movie -- when I put the DVD in my DVD drive, a movie plays automatically which is a slide show of all the photos.

Here are the DVD files that are in the Finder after I insert a DVD:

a folder: VIDEO_TS

a folder: Sheet

a folder: Pictures

a folder: Photobook

a folder:Audio_Ts

a file: DiscMetaData.xml

The DVD also shows up in the Finder with the name Yesvideo

Each DVD has the same folders and the same name (Yesvideo). Obviously the photos in each DVD are different.

Ideally, I'd like to put all the DVDs onto the Flash/SSD drive as disc images. I am thinking I could name each disc differently, such as Yesvideo1, Yesvideo2 etc. However, I don't know if that's the right strategy. I don't know, if I put all the discs on a drive that way, if the movies will try to play automatically as they do when I insert an individual DVD.

I'm also not even sure what software to use to copy the discs on to the Flash/SSD drive. Is there a built-in way to do it in OS X (I'm running El Capitan)?

So I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to do it.

Also, is one type of drive best for this situation?

Thanks,

Mirsky

Comments