Rumor: Second-gen Apple Watch on track for launch by June of 2016

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited November 2015
Apple supplier Quanta is said to be preparing for the debut of a new Apple Watch by the end of the second quarter of 2016, which would place its launch slightly later in the year than the first-generation model.

Details on the launch window for the next-generation Apple Watch were apparently shared by Quanta Chairman Barry Lam, according to China's United Daily News. Lam allegedly said that he expects Apple Watch shipments to grow considerably next year, thanks to upgraded hardware and software that will launch by June 2016.

This year, the first Apple Watch launched in April with limited supplies, though Apple quickly improved availability and distribution. The product lineup was expanded in September to include new color options and bands.

A launch for "Apple Watch 2" before the end of the second quarter of 2016 would place it as late as June, or a few months after this year's April debut. The UDN report was first discovered on Friday by G for Games.

The alleged statements from Lam were brought up during Quanta's earnings call, but the company declined to comment, according to DigiTimes. However, company vice chairman CC Leung did say that it expects shipments of wearable devices could double in 2016.

Quanta is currently expanding its capacity to assemble new products, and investors believe the bulk of that expansion will be focused on the Apple Watch.

Rumors suggested that Quanta was originally the sole supplier for Apple Watch manufacturing. But alleged production issues were said to have allowed rival assembler Foxconn to muscle its way in to production of the wearable device.

Rumors about the so-called "Apple Watch 2" have been light thus far, with one report in July suggesting the second-generation model will look exactly the same as the current version, but will boast a larger internal battery. It was also suggested that the new Watch will improve outdoor visibility.

Other questionable rumors have claimed that Apple could be working on new "smart bands" that will enhance functionality of current models without requiring users to update to entirely new hardware. The Apple Watch has a hidden data port within one of its strap attachment grooves.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    Meh. Too early to tell, but I'll definitely look into the 2nd gen version.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    Please make it real waterproof and put a GPS in it.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Meh. Too early to tell, but I'll definitely look into the 2nd gen version.

I might if it's thinner otherwise I'll wait. Sooner or later there will be an ?Watch Air ;)
  • Reply 4 of 76
    I might if it's thinner otherwise I'll wait. Sooner or later there will be an ?Watch Air ;)

Thinner, better battery...these are inevitable.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Thinner, better battery...these are inevitable.

I agree, hence I am waiting. I just don't like the aesthetics of the current model's depth. Of course to sell to Samsung fans Apple need one four times larger in the other two dimensions ... I'm not counting time here ;)
  • Reply 6 of 76
    chrise wrote: »

If they do this they've got my order. Would also love an LTE radio in it so that you wouldn't need your phone around to get messages.
  • Reply 7 of 76

Should have a 14 nm chip in it, which is a big leap. 

• Reply 8 of 76

Love my Sport 42. I wear it everyday and use it often throughout the day.

I use the timer a lot for cooking tasks, and I never miss an alarm because of the tap on my wrist. It's also easy to have Siri set it up.

I use the audio controls glance to see what's playing through my Power Beats 2 wireless earphones.

I like the wrist-tap turn notifications while I'm getting turn-by-turn directions from Siri in Maps on my phone.

I like nightstand mode when my watch is charging.

I like the camera remote, except that it should also be able to control video.

Love the heart rate monitor, too.

Can't wait for the next version with even more goodies!

• Reply 9 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chrise View Post

The battery would be much too big if they added a GPS with full monitoring. GPS is still too expensive battery-wise...

• Reply 10 of 76
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

At least in the western countries, having it available end April (as this year) is good as it makes a good gift for Mothers and Fathers day in May and June respectively.

My wishes:

1) Combination of better battery and lower power usage components allows an optional, "always on" watch face (configurable on when to enable, since people may not want it in low light conditions, etc). Such beautiful watch faces, it is a shame you cannot show them off more.

2) GPS for standalone usage (not that it is used that much in a day, but it would eliminate barriers to purchase for many I think).  Apple should be able to do something smart, so that GPS is only enabled & drawing power when disconnected from its companion iPhone.  That should make the power requirements over course of a day relatively small.

3) Slightly different design to differentiate from gen1.  People want their watches to be more personal and varied than phones.  

4) Interface for optional watch band with integrated battery.

5) Faster charging.  Getting 36 hours of use vs. 24 isn't that helpful, but ability to charge to 80% in 1/2 hour would be.

My number 1 s/w feature request - a specific taptic engine alert when the iPhone becomes disconnected from iPhone - to let you know that you are leaving that phone behind.  A specific set of taps that repeats for a few seconds so you won't miss it.  Make it optional to enable of course.  This will save lost iPhones, leaving house/work without it unintentionally, etc.

• Reply 11 of 76
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I use the timer a lot for cooking tasks, and I never miss an alarm because of the tap on my wrist. It's also easy to have Siri set it up.

This was one of the unexpected uses, that I use all the time now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

The battery would be much too big if they added a GPS with full monitoring. GPS is still too expensive battery-wise...

Apple should be able to design such that if companion iPhone is connected, or you are in specific situations (on WiFi at home or office) that GPS is not enabled.  Thus only when out on its own (typically exercising, walking) would GPS be enabled. 

• Reply 12 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

GPS doesn't need to be on all the time, just when it's out of reach from an iPhone. Maybe just turns on for workouts, that's all I really want it for.

I want to go for a run without my phone and have it track with GPS where I go. Actually I want a third-party app to do it.

• Reply 13 of 76
    I think Apple needs to be careful about changing the appearance too frequently. While people will update phones regularly, I'm not sure they want to do the same with their watch, and if it becomes clear their watch will be out of fashion in 12 months, they may lose interest, especially in the higher end models that Apple really wants to sell. A strategy similar to iPhone would seem better ... only change the appearance every 24 months.

I also don't think slimmer *and* better battery life are on the cards by April/May. Oh, and I think the current selection of watch faces is pretty meagre, tbh ... I like the Hermes face best (since it's square which suits the Apple watch shape, but it doesn't seem to be generally available). There should be *way* more faces available.

Otherwise, loving my watch, and agree with everything danielsw mentions!
  • Reply 14 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

<snip/>

My number 1 s/w feature request - a specific taptic engine alert when the iPhone becomes disconnected from iPhone - to let you know that you are leaving that phone behind.  A specific set of taps that repeats for a few seconds so you won't miss it.  Make it optional to enable of course.  This will save lost iPhones, leaving house/work without it unintentionally, etc.

This.

• Reply 15 of 76

Thank you...I am debating whenever to get Gen1 - I will wait - that dependency on having the phone needs to be removed or make it totally optional - this thing should work like an Apple TV, iPad, Ipod 

• Reply 16 of 76
    danielsw wrote: »
    Love my Sport 42. I wear it everyday and use it often throughout the day.

I use the audio controls glance to see what's playing through my Power Beats 2 wireless earphones.

I like the wrist-tap turn notifications while I'm getting turn-by-turn directions from Siri in Maps on my phone.

I like nightstand mode when my watch is charging.

I like the camera remote, except that it should also be able to control video.

Love the heart rate monitor, too.

Can't wait for the next version with even more goodies!

I back all of that up 100%. I would add that I have the smaller model and battery life has never been an issue. It was a fantastic fitness device from day 1 but the more subtle benefits such tap for calendar events and music control have highlighted to me the much broader way it contributes to management of modern life. Apple Pay with the watch is so convenient and still really cool. But I return to the fitness aspects - it has genuinely been life altering for me. Nailing 850 active calories a day for a 40 year old who had started to let it slide has been significant. I have, over many years, failed to find a motivation even close to being as effective as the watch/phone combo. Who would have thought 3 rings could make such a difference!!
  • Reply 17 of 76
    Don't be square.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    chrise wrote: »

In other words, make it troll-proof. :)
  • Reply 19 of 76
    In other words, make it troll-proof. :)

impossible. next-gen troll is always one version ahead of current-gen apple tech. smirk...
  • Reply 20 of 76
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    Improve the software for the first one. I may never buy another Apple Watch again if this one isn't better.