The best ways to send money to friends and family instantly with your iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Apple Pay might soon let you send person-to-person payments, but you don't need to wait on Cupertino to split the cost of a pizza without cash. AppleInsider took a look at some of the most popular money transfer apps available now for iOS.

Venmo

PayPal-owned Venmo is the grandaddy of mobile phone-based money transfer services. It made its bones on American college campuses, and has become an integral part of many lives since.

You can fund your account using either a credit card or debit card, or directly from your bank account. Payments can be push or pull -- that is, you can either send money preemptively or respond to a request for money.

Once received, the money will remain in the your Venmo account until you decide to transfer it to your bank account, a process that usually takes around 24 hours.

Venmo transfers from a bank account or debit card are free, while those funded from a credit card will be charged a fee of 3 percent.

Square Cash

In practice, Square Cash works similarly to Venmo -- just sign up with your credit or debit card and you can send money to any e-mail address or phone number. The difference comes in cashing out: you don't need to.

When you receive money via Square Cash, the services processes it similarly to a debit card refund. That means that the money hits your bank account almost instantly, without being forced to wait around for a transfer.

Square Cash also offers an easy way to request money via a customized cash.me URL. Transfers are free for consumers, no matter whether you use a debit or credit card.

Google Wallet and Dwolla

Google Wallet and Dwolla are nearly identical in form and function to Venmo. Both services allow you to send and receive money for free via debit cards or linked bank accounts, though Google Wallet does charge a 2.9 percent fee to use a credit card.

Banks

Banks have stood on the sidelines of this market. Chase, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and Simple -- among others -- have all introduced instant transfer features that allow you to send money to other customers using just a phone number or email address, so it's worth checking to see if your bank offers a similar option.

Which one is best?

At the end of the day, your choice of service will be heavily dependent on your friends and family -- the people you need to pay. If most of your network is already using Venmo, for instance, there aren't really any compelling reasons to switch to Google Wallet.

If you're starting from scratch, though, you should take a hard look at Square Cash. The user experience is excellent, and receiving transfers directly into your bank account without the hassle of cashing out is an underrated perk.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    As mentioned in the other article, all the major US retail banks except Citi participate in clearXchange, so the bank's instant transfer functions work with other banks. They don't really advertise this fact. I believe that even if the receiving bank isn't participating, they'll let you ACH the funds in. The advantage here is that it eliminates another sign up, and the need to give your account info to a third party.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    konqerror wrote: »
    As mentioned in the other article, all the major US retail banks except Citi participate in clearXchange, so the bank's instant transfer functions work with other banks. They don't really advertise this fact. I believe that even if the receiving bank isn't participating, they'll let you ACH the funds in. The advantage here is that it eliminates another sign up, and the need to give your account info to a third party.
    But it takes 3 days for transfer of funds, which is ridiculous given the technology that exists... For this Square Cash is the absolute winner.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

"Banks have stood on the sidelines of this market. Chase, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and Simple — among others — have all introduced instant transfer features that allow you to send money to other customers using just a phone number or email address, so it's worth checking to see if your bank offers a similar option."

I've used Chase's Quick Pay for years. Works great for both Chase and non-Chase customers. A bit slower for non-Chase customers the first time they need to receive funds. After that it's painless. Advantage here is that nobody has to open up and maintain yet another account.

• Reply 4 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Even my credit union let you transfer money to someone using phone number or email. Let's wait and see how Apple Pay will offer person-to-person transfer using your iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am happy to accept donations ... :D
  • Reply 6 of 15
    The big question is how Apple's solution will be different / better. Given this listing of 4 - 5 existing solutions that work well, Apple would need to have a differentiator to merit entering the market. That's what I'm curious to see,
  • Reply 7 of 15
    American Express offers "Serve". You transfer money within the app. And the serve prepaid card can be used anywhere the credit card is accepted. Perfect for parents with college age children.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I'm a huge fan of square cash, myself. The way it runs them as card transactions is great. That said, the article is incorrect about credit card transactions. They just added credit card transactions about a week ago, and they charge 3% to use it (like venmo). Using a debit/check card is free & fast, though.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    slprescott wrote: »
    The big question is how Apple's solution will be different / better. Given this listing of 4 - 5 existing solutions that work well, Apple would need to have a differentiator to merit entering the market. That's what I'm curious to see,
    I guess they could buy Square Cash and give it the apple makeover.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Apple doesn't have to be different or better. If they can find a way to improve the experience, great. But all they need to do is offer it. ?Pay is already the leader in simple mobile payments. This will just be icing on the cake. This is another reason why Apple is working hard to get as many banks on board with ?Pay as possible. Once every bank and credit can accept ?Pay, then flip a switch and let people transfer money between those banks.

And who knows, Visa may be so grateful to Apple for ?Pay they may waive those credit card fees for person to person transfers, or Apple may be making so much money off of each credit/debit card transaction, they may absorb the fees, the way some banks absorb ATM fees imposed by other banks for using terminals outside their networks.
  • Reply 11 of 15

There's really no reason why Apple couldn't implement money transfers using their Messages app. In fact, I think it would be a fantastic upgrade.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Really prefer Square Cash here, the instant cash to bank account is just so convenient.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I'm a Square Cash fan. I don't see why wouldn't anyone use this over others!

Additional Advantages:
    1) I don't have to give my bank account numbers to any third party.
    2) If the third party gets hacked, I don't have to worry about the account number being compromised
    3) Switching bank accounts is as simple as changing the debit card number
    4) Instant notifications, both from my bank app (Simple), Square Cash app, and SMS! (not sure if any other service does it so quick!)
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Be careful with Square as it monitors what you are purchasing, i.e., ammunition or any kind of firearm will NOT be allowed, apparently ignoring such trivialities as the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. How nice.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Why is the best, fastest and absolutely free method to send/receive money not even mentioned? Facebook Payments via Messenger is absolutely the best, I use it all the time. Fast, free and direct money transfers from one bank account to another.
    edited January 2016