Rumor: Apple's upgraded 4-inch iPhone will be powered by A8 CPU, not A9

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Apple has an improved 4-inch iPhone 5s model ready to go at any time, a new rumor claims, featuring many of the same components found in the 2015 iPod touch upgrade, including the A8 processor that powers the iPhone 6 series, rather than the latest A9 CPU.

Alleged details on the so-called "iPhone 5s Mark II" were published on Tuesday by Japanese blog Macotakara, which cited "credible sources" for its information. Beyond an A8 processor, the new 4-inch handset is also expected to include 802.11ac W-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, a FaceTime HD, camera and f/2.2 aperture rear camera.

Many of those parts were introduced in Apple's revamped iPod touch in July. The current iPhone 5s, which sells for $449, features an A7 processor and 802.11n Wi-Fi.

Tuesday's rumor contradicts recent reports which claimed that Apple's improved 4-inch iPhone will boast the same A9 processor found in the current iPhone 6s series. That chip features 2 gigabytes of RAM, which is twice that found in the A8.

Beyond the chip, however, most of the rumors remain the same. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported earlier this month that the new 4-inch iPhone will feature a metal chassis, rather than the plastic body that Apple used on the now-discontinued iPhone 5c.

Macotakara's sources claim that the "iPhone 5s Mark II" is already prepared for production, and that Apple could ship the device at "anytime." Both Kuo and IHS, meanwhile, have pegged the new, smaller handset for a 2016 launch.

All signs point to Apple's new 4-inch iPhone being a "budget" model, less capable than the larger iPhone 6s series. Kuo believes that Apple will not put the new 3D Touch capabilities from the iPhone 6s into the improved iPhone 5s, giving users a reason to opt for a more expensive model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    WHhhhhaaaaahhhh!!!!

Apple's non-existent phone is rumoured to use a chip that is not as good as the one in the . It's a rip off! It's a farce! That's it! I'm going to buy a

... Hope that's saved a bit of typing for some of you.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    A9 didn't make sense to me.

Either way it's still a rumor from "well connected" "credible sources".
  • Reply 3 of 39

sounds more plausible, on par with when they introduced the 5C using 2-generation old innards. Line up next year: 7+, 7, 6s+, 6s, 6c. Unsure if they would keep the standard 6 & 6+ going as it might eat into sales of the newer models.

• Reply 4 of 39
    I need a filter that hides any story with "4 inch iPhone" in the headline.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    adm1 wrote: »
    sounds more plausible, on par with when they introduced the 5C using 2-generation old innards. Line up next year: 7+, 7, 6s+, 6s, 6c. Unsure if they would keep the standard 6 & 6+ going as it might eat into sales of the newer models.

I thought the 5C had the same internals as the 5? What was 2 generations behind?
  • Reply 6 of 39
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This makes sense.

$450 for an iPhone6 would be too dangerous

Unless Apple was private, right? ;)
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Just as the 6+ was Apple's blowout China strategy, I am convinced the 4-inch iPhone will be its India strategy.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought the 5C had the same internals as the 5? What was 2 generations behind?

Ah my mistake, I remembered 5C came after 5S release. :embarrass

• Reply 9 of 39
    adm1 wrote: »
    5C was one generation old.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Small = crappy
    Only the Japanese could invert that formula.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Sounds okay to me, the 5s has a classy classic look to it and still svelte. So just improve the innards a bit. With rumors here and there that the iPhone 7 might have a more chiseled look to it than the 6 series the 5s Mk II or what ever it'll be called might not look so out of place. A complete redesign would of been nice, but this'll do.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Will it include the new 5mb facetime camera?
  • Reply 13 of 39
    No analyst or rumor ever correctly predicted the capabilities of the CPUs of future iPhones. The only things people occasionally predict correctly is the name of the chip, nothing else. This particular speculation is just as baseless, someone pulled it out of his @$$.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    So at the same time Apple launches the iPhone 7, they're going to launch a 4" iPhone 6? The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

Launch lineup Fall 2016:

4" - iPhone 6C (A8) - $449

4.7" - iPhone 6S (A9) - $549
    4.7" - iPhone 7 (A10) - $649

5.5" - iPhone 6S plus (A9) - $649
    5.5" - iPhone 7 plus (A10) - $749

It would also be the perfect excuse to upgrade the iPod touch. A WiFi-only version of the 6C with colorful aluminum shells, same storage options, and maybe a downgraded camera.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    kmareikmarei Posts: 178member

why does a 4" have to mean a lower end phone?

have the same guts as a 6s and price it $50 lower

i have a 5s and a 6s

i much prefer the 5s size to the 6s

i can't use the 6s with one hand anymore

on my 5s i can hold it in my right hand and touch any part of the screen with my thumb

on the 6s i can reach almost everywhere except the left hand side of the screen

which means i need to use both hands to use it

which in a phone is rather pointless

unfortunately i think most phone makers now design their phones for people who consume media all the time

i don't watch video on my iphone, if i wanted to watch video why would i choose a 4.7" or 5.5" screeen when i have a great 10" screen on my ipad air 2?

i use my phone for texting, searching for stuff on the internet, navigation, and music

all done perfectly on a 4" screen

• Reply 16 of 39
    Will the new 4" include Apple Pay??
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

why does a 4" have to mean a lower end phone?

have the same guts as a 6s and price it $50 lower

It isn't necessarily lower end. This could be a die-shrunk A8 which allows the new phone to have superior battery life or a thinner profile than it otherwise would have if it used the A9. The A5 received a die-shrink so this wouldn't be an unprecedented move.

• Reply 18 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    So at the same time Apple launches the iPhone 7, they're going to launch a 4" iPhone 6? The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

Launch lineup Fall 2016:

4" - iPhone 6C (A8) - $449

4.7" - iPhone 6S (A9) - $549
    4.7" - iPhone 7 (A10) - $649

5.5" - iPhone 6S plus (A9) - $649
    5.5" - iPhone 7 plus (A10) - $749

It would also be the perfect excuse to upgrade the iPod touch. A WiFi-only version of the 6C with colorful aluminum shells, same storage options, and maybe a downgraded camera.

Why wait until Septemeber? If this really is a "6c" then it's a test. Anybody who wants a 4" phone can either buy the 5s, or their contracts commitment has long been met. Presumably this phone targets those who want the latest iPhone technology in a smaller form factor. So Apple could launch at any time and get millions of 4, 4s, 5, 5c & 5s customers who have been reluctant to upgrade to a larger phone. What better way to capitalize on that without diminishing the impact of the 7 when its released than releasing it off cycle? That way, if this is a test, Aple knows whether to move forward with the iPhone 7 in three sizes, or depreciate the 6c, keeping it off cycle.

I don't agree at all that they will release a brand new 4" phone as the "free" phone, unless they intend to maintain it with annual upgrades at that price point. They're going to want to recoup their R&D. And I think they also will want to give an opportunity to the cheap Android crowd to finally switch to Apple with a free 6.

I also completely disagree that the iPod Touch will have any more R&D. I think it's going the way of the Classic iPod, and will hang around for two or three more years until it's finally discontinued. The only thing that might change is the addition of 256gb storage as prices continue to drop as a final last push for those die hard iPod Classic owners who like to carry their music with them. Or not.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Apple needs to phase out iphone 5s fast to replace with similar mini iPhone with few things from iphone 6s, WiFi/LTE chip to support VOLTE and VOWIFI, touch id for apple-pay and other secure apps access. Satisfies large number of iphone users.

So many iPhone users still hung up on 3.5/4" iPhone and don't like/care to move to larger iPhone. Because for them bigger iphone is not better for their use case like portability, handling or one hand comfort usability. with that, what more anyone needs in mini iPhone ?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

If you consider the smaller phone is for cost conscious consumers, apple is not going to give them perform equal or even close to the higher end product. They are going may it just good enough for most people. Remember they are targeting consumers who for what ever the reason have been unwilling to upgrade to the bigger iphones or they are Android users who are condition to only take a phone if it is free and under a contract. Apple can not afford to bring in a cost leader phone without affecting the top end of their business. It looks like Apple is doing what they did with Ipod, pull in all the profits from the high end and when you can not get anymore out of the population you work your way down. Because the older technology have been fully depreciated from Apple stand point they can now offer at a much lower cost.