Apple Pay goes live in Canada, adds two UK banks, coming to Australia on Thursday

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
On Tuesday Apple officially launched Apple Pay in Canada, simultaneously announcing two more supporting banks in the U.K., and a Thursday debut for the service in Australia.

Image Credit: Peter J. Thompson/National Post
Image Credit: Peter J. Thompson/National Post

Canadian payments are currently limited to American Express cards, and further exclude co-branded AmEx cards offered by Scotiabank and others. Transactions can be made at any retailer supporting AmEx's wireless payment system however, which includes major chains such as Tim Hortons, Indigo, Staples, Petro Canada, and McDonald's.

Online payments can be made in apps like Uber, Starbucks, Domino's, Groupon, and Priceline.

In the U.K. -- which got Apple Pay in July -- shoppers can now add cards from TSB or Tesco Bank.

Apple revealed the Australian launch date to the Financial Post, but didn't elaborate on any details, such as supporting merchants. As with Canada, though, American Express will be initial local card issuer.

The service will ultimately need to expand beyond AmEx in Canada and Australia, as most people in those countries use cards from other issuers, like Visa or MasterCard.

Apple is planning to bring Apple Pay to Hong Kong, Singapore, and Spain sometime in 2016. While the company has mostly succeeded in getting financial institutions on board with the service, merchant support has been comparatively lackluster. Regions like Canada and Europe are typically better equipped for wireless payments than the U.S. though, which could help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    It is about time! Now lets see how long the banks take to jump on board. It should be very successful here as the infrastructure is already in place.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Big flipping whoop????. One credit card company isn't worth enabling the service. The bloody banks are too miserly to loosen the purse strings to let money head south of the border, even though we, as Canadians, would prove the value such a service, and the banks would get money. Albeit not as much as they want (100%), but they'd still get money. The idea that it's not secure is just a smokescreen to cover the greed of our banks.

Oh well, I've gone this long with a crippled iPhone 6 Plus, I can go on longer....

M.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I'm in Canada this week, I'm going to check it out at Petro Canada service station today (which takes AMEX).
  • Reply 4 of 18
    In the UK if you ignore take away food outlets there are not many other retail outlets apart from a few supermarkets. I don't have take awys so with the limit at 30 pounds l have not had much of a chance to use Apple Pay in shops yet. Years ago cheque guarantee cards had a limit of 50 pounds so why can't we have a more usable limit of say 100 pounds. I might then be able to use ApplePay.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

In the UK if you ignore take away food outlets there are not many other retail outlets apart from a few supermarkets. I don't have take awys so with the limit at 30 pounds l have not had much of a chance to use Apple Pay in shops yet. Years ago cheque guarantee cards had a limit of 50 pounds so why can't we have a more usable limit of say 100 pounds. I might then be able to use ApplePay.

That's not my experience. Pretty much every shop I go into in London has NFC (and therefore Apple Pay) support.

• Reply 6 of 18
    Yeppiee but not for me unless TD n cibc/scotia jumps on the bandwagon which might be little longer but hopefully soon ????
  • Reply 7 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    emoeller wrote: »
    I'm in Canada this week, I'm going to check it out at Petro Canada service station today (which takes AMEX).
    I am not sure but I think if you have an American Bank account that permits ?Pay you can use it at many places in Canada. i seem to remember there was talk of this. NFC terminals are everywhere, but the Banks haven't implemented ?pay.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    emoeller wrote: »
    You could pay at Petro Canada with Apple Pay any time over the past 12 months. That's not new. What's new is that Canadian credit card companies are now issuing Apple Pay to customers. If you had an American Apple Pay account, you could have used it at Petro Canada and MANY other vendors here in Canada all year.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I can't remember the last time I actually saw someone use an American Express card in this country. Whoopdy do. Apple should just create its own global visa or MasterCard equivalent, and go around the low life's using the regulatory environment to protect their oligopoly. Be the uber of the credit card world.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am not sure but I think if you have an American Bank account that permits ?Pay you can use it at many places in Canada. i seem to remember there was talk of this. NFC terminals are everywhere, but the Banks haven't implemented ?pay.

You can use Apple Pay with an American credit card/bank account. I was in Canada last month and always used Apple Pay at Tim Hortons. 

• Reply 11 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    American credit card linked Applepay work on PayPass terminals in Australia. Applepay linked to Australian credit cards do not.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    So glad it's here in Canada now, however td and the rest of he banks just need to join in
  • Reply 13 of 18
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    dachar wrote: »

Really?
    My experience within London has been the opposite; I think we're close to the point in London where non-NFC terminals are in the minority.
    Presumably the major retailers, Boots Pharmacy, Waitrose etc have rolled out their NFC and Apple Pay support nationally.

Again I'm disappointed to read that someone thinks Apple Pay is limited to £30.
    I think it will be useful for Apple to display a list of retailers who've updated their systems and support Apple Pay transactions higher than £30.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    dachar wrote: »
    That's not an Apple Pay limit. I think it's a limit set by the individual bank whose card you are using. Hopefully as the banks become more comfortable with the security Apple Pay provides, those limits will go up significantly.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    For Apple pay to work in canada, they will need an agreement with interac...
  • Reply 16 of 18
    haar wrote: »
    For Apple pay to work in canada, they will need an agreement with interac...
    Apple Pay has worked in Canada for a year already.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Well, I've set up my AmEx in Apple Pay. Or, more accurately, it asked if I wanted to use the AmEx card I already had registered to my Apple ID (for buying stuff from iTunes and Apple Stores, etc), and it's now working. I may have to forgo the free drink on my rewards card just for the opportunity to use it. Assuming the cafe takes AmEx. Otherwise, I'm off to find some discount iTunes cards...
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Unfortunately it did not work at Petro Canada.   The reader beeped but the transaction did not go through.  I tried both my Apple Watch as well as my iPhone 6s.   The clerk said it might be that he reader was an older model.  I asked him if he had ever seen anyone successfully use the reader as a tap and pay device and he said yes, regularly.  I then asked if he had ever seen it used for Apple Pay and he said I had been the first.

So there you go.  Going to try and Tim Horton's today