Five new Apple TV ads highlight games and content from tvOS App Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
Apple on Tuesday debuted five new 15-second advertisements for the newly launched Apple TV, highlighting both streaming content and interactive games that can be downloaded from the tvOS App Store.

All five of the ads open with a recreation of an old-fashioned multicolor TV card emblazoned with the Apple TV logo. The card then disappears in different, dynamic ways --?an indication that the new Apple TV will break with convention and change what users expect from their television set.

Three of the ads are focused on games, promoting Apple TV titles Crossy Road, Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition, and Asphalt 8. The remaining two promote streaming video -- specifically, exclusive shows "Orange is the New Black" from Netflix, and "Game of Thrones" on HBO Now.

All five quarter-minute spots debuted on the official Apple YouTube channel on Tuesday. It's likely that the ads will begin airing on television this week.

The tvOS App Store and Siri Remote are the defining features of the new fourth-generation Apple TV, which debuted last month. The set-top box is priced at $149 for a 32-gigabyte version, or $199 for 64 gigabytes of storage.

All five Apple TV ads are included below:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17

I actually like these ads. Especially being creative with fading from the TV "bars" to the actual commercial.

• Reply 2 of 17
    Those are some of the best ads that Apple has made recently.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Great stuff - so on brand. Love the opening animations. Well done Phil!
  • Reply 4 of 17
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

Lots to love about the new apple tv, but man I need the whole pin and password thing to be cleaned up.

• Reply 5 of 17
    I'm amazed that Apple has decided to spend advertising money on a product that shipped incomplete!! No BT Keyboard (for entering PIN's & PW's) and no use of Siri to search iTunes??? Steve Jobs would not have shipped it until it was complete..... I'm just saying....
  • Reply 6 of 17
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    How dare they try to indoctrinate our children with gay rainbow colors! Boycott Apple! /s
  • Reply 7 of 17
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

I'm amazed that Apple has decided to spend advertising money on a product that shipped incomplete!! No BT Keyboard (for entering PIN's & PW's) and no use of Siri to search iTunes??? Steve Jobs would not have shipped it until it was complete..... I'm just saying....

Once you set it up you can forget about the keyboard for the next 3 years... And you want Apple to send a keyboard for that?

Makes no sense at all.

• Reply 8 of 17
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    sog35 wrote: »
    who the fack uses keyboards with their TV.  LOL.  Only nerds do.  Normal people don't.  So it takes 20 minutes to setup all logins and accounts. Big deal.  You do it once and its over.

Siri for iTunes is coming.

I wish. I've had to enter login and password info a few times. Not sure why. Heres what I don't understand...

1. With the row of letters across the screen, why do I have to toggle between caps and lowercase and numbers? Why can't each be displayed as a row on the same screen. Much faster.

2. Why can't I use iCloud Keychain?

3. Why can't I use my iPhone keyboard to enter text? Touch ID to login? Etc.

I'm liking the new Apple TV overall but I think there's a lot of room for improvement.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    sog35 wrote: »
    huh?

Why don't you turn off the password/pin.  

If you enable a parental control pin there is a bug that you always have to enter your iTunes password for any purchase even if you say 'never ask'. Also entering the pin is in the clear: kids see the pin as you enter it.

and to be clear: I need the parental restrictions because I have little kids and this is how I lock out rated R movies and such.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

When are the mods going to start implementing bans for the whole "Steve Jobs wouldn't have" shit?

• Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Once you set it up you can forget about the keyboard for the next 3 years... And you want Apple to send a keyboard for that?

Makes no sense at all.

what, no not send a keyboard.... SUPPORT keyboards, or remote app for text entry.    Setting it up is a constant thing: reinstalling the apple TV to a new tvos and suddenly you are having to set up all your passwords again.   Entering PINS are in the clear rather than private.  Changing game center accounts requires the full password each time.   and on and on and on.  very obvious need.

• Reply 12 of 17

Apple eliminated the option to pair a wireless keyboard with the new Apple TV? You can do this with the 2nd and 3rd gen models. Also does Apple's Remote app no longer work with the new model because that allowed you to type text straight from the app. 

• Reply 13 of 17
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

I held out for this but the lack of first party controller support (and very mediocre third party options) means now I'm buying a steam box.

• Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ajarch82 View Post

Apple eliminated the option to pair a wireless keyboard with the new Apple TV? You can do this with the 2nd and 3rd gen models. Also does Apple's Remote app no longer work with the new model because that allowed you to type text straight from the app. 

That is correct. Those options are gone. 

On the plus side, initial setup using an iPhone is pretty quick simple. That will at least save the hassle of entering in network passwords. 

• Reply 15 of 17
    I actually have 3 Apple TVs in my house and enjoy them. I was simply asking a question.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Oh I really like these as well! Makes it seem like it'd be perfect for some casual gaming. I'm curious to see what types of games will get added in the future. I might buy one in a few weeks, I'm even considering getting a MFi controller to go along with it.