Apple Pay coming to Domino's by year's end, Cinnabon in 2016

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Apple on Tuesday confirmed company-owned Domino's pizza outlets will be accepting Apple Pay by the end of 2015, while Cinnabon plans to integrate the mobile payments solution in its stores in 2016.

Apple informed the Associated Press of Domino's and Cinnabon's Apple Pay plans hours after the service launched in Canada, the third region to roll out support after a U.S. introduction last year. Banks and retailers in the UK partnered with Apple to launch Apple Pay in July.

Adding color to today's Canadian launch, Apple's vice president for Apple Pay, Jennifer Bailey, said services are initially limited to American Express because the institution is both the card issuer and payment network operator. Apple is partnering with American Express to debut Apple Pay in Australia for the same reasons. Visa and MasterCard support is expected to follow in the coming months as credit cards from those companies are currently accepted in active Apple Pay markets.

Aside from Domino's and Cinnabon, a number of retail and restaurant chains are looking to integrate with Apple's service. One of the largest corporations on deck is Starbucks, which will launch a pilot program at select locations before the year is out. KFC and Chili's are also planning to partner with Apple in 2016.

Apple is eyeing market expansion into Hong Kong, Singapore and Spain sometime in 2016.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Wow, such massive news.

Really, a naff pizza chain and a sugar-purveyor accept a new means of payment, and it's worth an article?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    hattig wrote: »
    Wow, such massive news.

Really, a naff pizza chain and a sugar-purveyor accept a new means of payment, and it's worth an article?

And how does that work when you order your Domino's pizza over the phone? Do you have to point your iPhone at the delivery man when he arrives at your home?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    They just need to hurry up and bring in the major banks in Canada. People here have been eating a very long time for this.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

And how does that work when you order your Domino's pizza over the phone? Do you have to point your iPhone at the delivery man when he arrives at your home?

What's wrong with you man?  No you don't point it at the delivery guy.  Duh.  You have to tap the guy (gently) on the head with it.

• Reply 5 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Wow, such massive news.

Yes, it’s worth an article because the list of retailers accepting Apple Pay and NFC in general is very small. While we hear of hundreds of banks and credit unions and credit card issuers coming on board the retailers are not. We will be carrying our bulky credit cards for years to come. Of the retailers my family regularly visits only a couple support Apple Pay. Macy’s for example accepts Apple Pay but you often get a bigger discount by using your Macy’s store credit card (like 15%) and that card is not Apple Pay compatible yet. Some major retailers are doubling down on other schemes like PayPal or the CurrentC fiasco. 

• Reply 6 of 11
    lkrupp wrote: »

Yes, it’s worth an article because the list of retailers accepting Apple Pay and NFC in general is very small. While we hear of hundreds of banks and credit unions and credit card issuers coming on board the retailers are not. We will be carrying our bulky credit cards for years to come. Of the retailers my family regularly visits only a couple support Apple Pay. Macy’s for example accepts Apple Pay but you often get a bigger discount by using your Macy’s store credit card (like 15%) and that card is not Apple Pay compatible yet. Some major retailers are doubling down on other schemes like PayPal or the CurrentC fiasco. 

So true. Some thought that Apple Pay would be this big thing that everyone would adopt and be able to use. Not so much. It'll be 5+ years before paying with NFC from your phone is prevalent everywhere. I still have yet to see anyone in the real world use it.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    !) Great! Now lets try to get an actual pizza delivery service on board.

2) I wonder if they just mean in the stores or if the drivers will also have handheld device for Apple Pay. My guess is they won't. If you have an iPhone can use Apple Pay via the dominos app on your phone to pay for your cardboard delivery.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday confirmed company-owned Domino's pizza outlets will be accepting Apple Pay by the end of 2015

Wow! Didn't know Apple owned Domino's outlets! ?Pizza!!

Edit: Of course, the sentence is properly framed.

• Reply 9 of 11
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Wow, such massive news.

Clearly it was for yo u since you clicked on the Topic and then had enough time to care to post in the topic.  Or you're just a *****.    Unless someone is holding a gun to  your head forcing you to do things?  

• Reply 10 of 11

Even this isn't enough to make me want to eat Domino's pizza.

• Reply 11 of 11
    Even this isn't enough to make me want to eat Domino's pizza.

I've had Domino's and the box they deliver it in isn't half bad if you scrape the pizza off.