WiFi node locator?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anybody know of a website that shows you where you can find wi-fi nodes around the country? Isn't there a gang-style tag for identifying these nodes? I'd like to find where some are around Atlanta.

D

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    <a href="http://www.80211-planet.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.80211-planet.com/</a>;

They have a search facility for free 802.11 networks.

J :cool:
  • Reply 2 of 3
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    If you are thinking of hacking peoples' 802.11b networks, drewprops, all you need to do is drag your ibook or whatever around until you find signal strength (you can even do so in a car). I believe there's a (unix) utility that will hack 802.11b's really feeble 64 bit encryption algorithms in like 5 minutes, and 128 bit encryption in about 15 minutes. Then you are good to go!

Sorry if I blew your cover.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    No, I'm not into wardriving, just wanted to know if there are any open networks around town if I ever had to grab a line. I'm really curious about how many of these home-grown things are out there.

Thanks for the site btw Jamie. That site doesn't track private networks that have been made public, obviously only people who wanted to share would make them known. That site is more for commercial WISPs.

I recall that Starbucks signed a deal with Compaq a while back, promising 802.11 for their stores. I inquired about this at one of the stores on Peachtree (the 'real' Peachtree Street) and she said "oh yeah, we'll be getting that....in about two years!".

Starbucks has recently started getting people to register their Starbucks Cards online, ostensibly for your cards' protection in case you lose it. But, that registration would also be easy enough to convert into a means of paying for your airtime on a Wi-Fi network, leading me to believe that they may introduce their wireless networks on a faster schedule than I'd been led to believe.

Of course, only in certain places.

D