Mac case clone for PC's

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.hardware-unlimited.com/reviews/macpcgallery/index.shtml"; target="_blank">www.hardware-unlimited.com/reviews/macpcgallery/index.shtml</a>

Tell me what you think, they claim this is a Mac style case for PC's, I guess they think it reminds them a bit of Apple styling.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    It's pretty ulgy.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The treatment of the front bays could be cleaner but it isn't that bad. Make it a full two bays shorter and equally less deep, thus a smaller square (when viewed for the side) and it'd look pretty good. Also, change the color to QS or Ice.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    Yuck! Whoever thought it looks like a mac case should burn in hell. Mac cases are attractive. This is NOT.

I like this case. It is 90% clear!

• Reply 4 of 16
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    the handle on the top of that thing looks like it will snap in half under the weight of the computer
  • Reply 5 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    To everyone who thinks it's ugly, you know DAMN WELL that if that is the new G5 enclosure Steve happened to unveil this Wednesday at MWNY, you'd be beside yourself with ecstasy and praising Apple and Ive's design prowess!

• Reply 6 of 16
    The case isn't to bad but it seems to be a little to big, may be it's just the picture.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    I was never one for that shiny plastic-everywhere look. On this case, there are way too many lines and the curves are unnatural. I certainly wouldn't buy it. I mean there are better designed PCs out there if you don't want to build your own.

As far as Apple goes, I've had enough of the plastic coating and white nonsense. Give me some sleek matte titanium with a shiny chrome Apple logo (a la XServe)!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I think the designers of those cases missed the whole boat, port and oceonside when they were going for a MAC clone case. Why buy a piece of crap just 'cause it has plastic inserts that barely kinda look like a mac tower.

Ask yourself... What kicks ass about mac cases?

- ok... they are stylish

- FOLD-down motherboard tray for easy upgrading!!

ever since the 7500, macs have DOMINATED the PC world in the accessibility area. And yes, Ive installed ram in an 8500 before but I dont count that one

I would guess most peoples beefs about mac cases are the lack of a second optical drive bay.

PC cases are designed around standards that were formed with little or nothing to do with the end-usability. therefore it takes a ton of effort for a manufacturer to make a decent case.

my 2cents

• Reply 9 of 16
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    Actually, that's not true for all. Many PC makers have easy access towers. Most of them just pop open with a button and you never need any kind of tool to upgrade.

Dell for instance has the clam shell design on all their desktops. You do not need any tools to pop in (and out) new HDs, optical drives, PCI cards, and of course RAM. Everything is inside the case is designed to pop in and out without using any tools.

I upgraded my cousin's Dell computer for her. We swapped the Zip drive to a lower bay, upgraded her HD and added 2 PCI cards in under 10min without using any tools at all. I was amazed how easy everything slid in and out and just clicked into place as if you were plugging it in. If the upgrade isn't a Dell upgrade, all you have to do is attach the provided rails to the new device to snap it into place. I also noticed that the new Dells are extremely quiet. They claim that they use some new case design where the HD, fan and power supply are muffled - and it's true.

Here are some examples:

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Yeah, we've got a couple of these at the office and theres no denying it, they are just as easy to open and upgrade as El Capitan.... another Mac selling point lost to Dell Oh well, it still doesnt run OSX !!!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    jchenjchen Posts: 70member
    Not bad, not bad at all. Different color would be nice, but I'm sure they'll be customizable once more people start purchasing them.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    shannylashannyla Posts: 58member
    [quote] Ask yourself... What kicks ass about mac cases?

- FOLD-down motherboard tray for easy upgrading!! <hr></blockquote>

...just as soon as someone comes up with something to stick in there to upgrade it with...

[quote] PC cases are designed around standards that were formed with little or nothing to do with the end-usability. therefore it takes a ton of effort for a manufacturer to make a decent case.

<hr></blockquote>

Don't want to pee-pee on your bonfire from too high up, but have you looked in a powermac case anytime recently? Don't look too different from any other pc, brother, that motherboard looks pretty ATX from where I'm standing...

And I've left knuckle flesh inside every Mac case from the IIx onwards... and that includes the G4.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    shannylashannyla Posts: 58member
    [quote] To everyone who thinks it's ugly, you know DAMN WELL that if that is the new G5 enclosure Steve happened to unveil this Wednesday at MWNY, you'd be beside yourself with ecstasy and praising Apple and Ive's design prowess! <hr></blockquote>

Ain't that the truth, brother, oh yeah.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    If the case even looks close to that, it's a step backwards. That case is ugly, not even those of us that say Apple does no wrong can see ugly. I'd be forced to gut it and try to mod it to fit in my QS. If it was as ugly as that thing.

Unless Jobs is blind all of the sudden and has started drving a pinto, the case will look nothing like that turd!!!

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: SQUÅSH ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 16
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    I like this case...

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: Eskimo ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 16
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    that's a pretty slick case. does it come with the girl in the reflection?