What you can and cannot do with an Apple Pencil on iPad Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Pencil flip for eraser: Given the charging mechanism is housed at that end there may be engineering issues in having that be a detectable "eraser"?

• Reply 22 of 118
    Has anybody used the Apple Pencil / iPad Pro combination as a remote terminal with VNC / Apple Remote Desktop?

I would like to ditch my MacBookPro in lieu of an iPad for travel. But, I still need to manage several servers remotely. Using VNC / Apple Remote Desktop on an iPad is an aggravation at best and nearly impossible at worst. [ Yes, I could use an SSL Command Line but a GUI is much faster and easier. ]

I'm thinking that the higher precision of the Apple Pencil / iPad Pro combination might be workable but I was wondering if anybody had actually tried it.

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 23 of 118
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    What I'd like to see is a new screen protector that provides the same texture of paper but transparent to emulate real life paper. I tried iPad Pro and it doesn't have the friction it needs to have natural writing.
  • Reply 24 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Does the pencil have universal mark up ability?

For example if I have a Word document can I scribble on it?

If I have an email or photo can I do the same?

What about a PDF file?

No, not with default apps. 

But I know GoodNotes lets you write on PDFs. That's what I use on my iPad Air 2 with stylus. 

• Reply 25 of 118

Those who whine about lack of erase feature - why is that so hard? Just click "erasure" in toolbar or undo the stroke. Keep the Pencil as simple as possible. I hate Wacom pens because of too many features packed and you have no idea how many times I accidentally click on secondary buttons and they interfere with my writing/drawing. It can be disabled but it's useless IMO. Keep it simple. 

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 26 of 118
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Still upset the top isn't an eraser. I've seen a Disney animator flip the Pencil only to remember he can't erase that way. I'm sure lots of people are doing this instinctively.

Maybe Apple sees the new method as the future and old wooden pencils as something that should be forgotten.

Why not have both options? I see application for both.
  • Reply 27 of 118
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Regarding the erasure feature...does anyone really think Apple's designers/engineers never thought of that? Either it's an engineering issue right now or they decided against it for whatever reason. But there's no way in hell its something nobody thought about. Same thing with storing the pencil. People complain about that. But the Pencil is thicker than the iPP so trying to attach it magnetically (or creating a slot for it ala Samsung Note) would be a problem. I suppose Apple could have added something to the keyboard but since it's an optional accessory (and there's a good chance not everyone will get the pencil and keyboard) I can understand why they didn't. I currently have a 3rd party stylus that I've used with my Air 2 for taking notes. It goes in my briefcase along with everything else I bring to and from work every day. Not an issue.
  • Reply 28 of 118
    Has anybody used the Apple Pencil / iPad Pro combination as a remote terminal with VNC / Apple Remote Desktop?

I would like to ditch my MacBookPro in lieu of an iPad for travel. But, I still need to manage several servers remotely. Using VNC / Apple Remote Desktop on an iPad is an aggravation at best and nearly impossible at worst. [ Yes, I could use an SSL Command Line but a GUI is much faster and easier. ]

I'm thinking that the higher precision of the Apple Pencil / iPad Pro combination might be workable but I was wondering if anybody had actually tried it.

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 29 of 118
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cali wrote: »
    Still upset the top isn't an eraser. I've seen a Disney animator flip the Pencil only to remember he can't erase that way. I'm sure lots of people are doing this instinctively.

Maybe Apple sees the new method as the future and old wooden pencils as something that should be forgotten.

Why not have both options? I see application for both.

How do we know it's not an engineering issue? It's not like anyone at Apple said they specifically chose not to induce an eraser at the end. I'm sure people will get used to it as they use the pencil more often.
  • Reply 30 of 118
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Not really, as mentioned a requirement you completely change your holding of the device simply to erase something is clumsy and time consuming compared to using the same hold for all functions

Disagree.

• Reply 31 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Regarding the erasure feature...does anyone really think Apple's designers/engineers never thought of that? Either it's an engineering issue right now or they decided against it for whatever reason. But there's no way in hell its something nobody thought about. Same thing with storing the pencil. People complain about that. But the Pencil is thicker than the iPP so trying to attach it magnetically (or creating a slot for it ala Samsung Note) would be a problem. I suppose Apple could have added something to the keyboard but since it's an optional accessory (and there's a good chance not everyone will get the pencil and keyboard) I can understand why they didn't. I currently have a 3rd party stylus that I've used with my Air 2 for taking notes. It goes in my briefcase along with everything else I bring to and from work every day. Not an issue.

Of course the eraser at the end is something that has been thought about. It has existed for a really long time in real life pencils, and quite a while in dedicated drawing pads and more recently in the Surface line-up. Could be an engineering issue I suppose, but if its already been done successfully, then I am sure the folks working at Apple could have figured it out as well.

You are correct that attaching magnetically or inside makes little sense given the thickness of the Pencil and iPad Pro. There are no doubt going to be plenty of cases with a Pencil holder if they don't already exist. I can imagine there will be at least one company making a keyboard cover with an integrated Pencil holder.

I bet next years Apple Pencil and/or third party solutions will offer an eraser at the end. It does seem like a teeny bit of an oversight but no where near a deal breaker if you are in the market for the iPad Pro and Pencil.

• Reply 32 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Disagree.

That's cool. I disagree with you about the physical eraser. I hated it on the pens and always picked brushes.

And I never used them on my real pencils either. Got lovely white Stetdlers (can't spell!) or similar erasers in a long click-up holder. 

Humans love their habits, even when they aren't actually efficient. Wacom's dominance has encouraged it. 

• Reply 33 of 118
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    nagromme wrote: »
    As a life-long Wacom fan (I have one before me right now), I will say that I always liked the IDEA of side-buttons and eraser end. The idea. But in practice, I've found both features super annoying

I preferred using the "eraser" end as a "button" on my Wacom. Like I only ever used the extra buttons as "undo" buttons. In theory they are used to select other tools, but in practice the rocker-button on a stylus is only used to change weight of the "tool", and the eraser end is a "large erase"

However because the eraser end isn't made of the same material, most people find flipping the stylus around to be exceptionally annoying. So The Apple pencil not having this isn't a loss at all.

However if the Apple pencil doesn't have replaceable nibs in the same style as the Wacom (The Apple Pencil comes with a spare tip), that means it's likely that the tip gets worn out or bent over time.
  • Reply 34 of 118
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

third party solutions will offer an eraser at the end. 

Not unless that Lightning connector does more than charge ... something I'd really like to know. 

I suppose it could connect via Bluetooth, but then it wouldn't likely be contained in such a small cap, not to mention the power requirements.

• Reply 35 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:

third party solutions will offer an eraser at the end. 

Not unless that Lightning connector does more than charge ... something I'd really like to know. 

I suppose it could connect via Bluetooth, but then it wouldn't likely be contained in such a small cap, not to mention the power requirements.

Good point. If there could be a little sensor in the end that used the lightning connector that could work.

Or maybe an accelerometer could detect if the pencil is upside down and a "dumb" cap would suffice.

• Reply 36 of 118

In article, " female-to-female Lightning adapter" in Apple Pencil package but I  don't see it shown on Apple's website. 

Pic of the adapter? 

• Reply 37 of 118
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205236Quote:

Good point. If there could be a little sensor in the end that used the lightning connector that could work.

Or maybe an accelerometer could detect if the pencil is upside down and a "dumb" cap would suffice.

That only works if the Lightning connector will allow a charge to be drawn from the Pencil's battery. And so far everything indicates it won't, as noted by the dot on the charging adapter that is supposed to show correct orientation to permit charging of the Pencil.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by netrox View Post

In article, " female-to-female Lightning adapter" in Apple Pencil package but I  don't see it shown on Apple's website. 

Pic of the adapter? 

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205236

• Reply 38 of 118
    If you can't right-click while holding the Pencil a few millimeters above the screen then it's a failure. /s
  • Reply 39 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Pic of the adapter? 

Here it is in the packaging, to the right of the pencil —it's the plastic piece toward the top. The other plastic piece inserted at the bottom is a spare nib.