Leaked screenshots show glimpse of Apple troubleshooting app for iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Apple is working on an iOS app intended to funnel people through the support process faster, as well as address a lot of questions without phone calls or looking it up on the company's website, it was revealed on Friday.

When troubleshooting the app asks a user basic questions in order to determine the problem, and offers options for booking a Genius Bar appointment, sending a device in for repairs, or calling/chatting with a support representative, according to uSwitch Tech. The details stem from a source connected to Apple's Cupertino headquarters, as well as images supplied by well-known leak middleman Sonny Dickson.

The app also includes a number of self-help guides, which deal not only with glitches but general use.

The anonymous source noted that once a person is logged in, the app is aware of all devices registered to an Apple ID. It will also ask whether a device is on the latest version of iOS, and where relevant offer to contact a carrier when it comes to iPhone/iPad issues.

Though all of these options are available elsewhere, the upcoming app should unify and streamline them with some additional perks. When considering an AppleCare call, for example, the app displays an estiamted wait time.

uSwitch said that it's unknown if Apple is working on a fully standalone app or planning to integrate the support features into the Apple Store app. The latter currently lets users book Genius Bar appointments, but nothing more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I really like this concept and cannot wait to see it in action. In today's world most can self serve with a little direction. If Apple can help users solve the issue in less time than it takes to place a call then I am all for it. The days of waiting for support are about over. I also like the live chat that most companies provide today. I have had some bad ones but for the most part it is a nice way to move through the process.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Great Idea!!!%uD83D%uDC4D%uD83C%uDFFB
  • Reply 3 of 14
    technotechno Posts: 737member

If you have read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," then you will know what I mean.

There are those who like to fix things, and then there are those that like to pay someone to fix those things.

• Reply 4 of 14
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    Shouldn't you just be able to ask Siri :) lol
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techno View Post

If you have read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," then you will know what I mean.

There are those who like to fix things, and then there are those that like to pay someone to fix those things.

I have no interest in repairing or maintaining my car, so I pay my mechanic for service. However, I do enjoy troubleshooting and solving problems with my and other's electronic devices from TVs to computer to audio gear. Different strokes.

• Reply 6 of 14

I wonder if Apple couldn’t build a troubleshooting framework into iOS such that it’s a background process wherever you are (meaning within Apple apps and the OS itself). You could activate it with a gesture (or Force Touch or whatever; I’m still not sure I like that...), and it would automatically take not only current diagnostic information, but grab the current state of the device. You would then describe your problem or the bug you just experienced, and Apple could then take the diagnostic/state info and automatically load it into a test device. That would bring it up to the exact layout of yours at the time, and then someone could try to replicate the bug.

I mean, even the latest release of iOS 5 has unresolved bugs.

In almost every version of iOS since, I’m still able to glitch my way into having the Springboard remain dimmed after dismissing the Spotlight screen, too.

• Reply 7 of 14
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

I have no interest in repairing or maintaining my car, so I pay my mechanic for service. However, I do enjoy troubleshooting and solving problems with my and other's electronic devices from TVs to computer to audio gear. Different strokes.

I think my point is still valid. Some people just do not like to troubleshoot. Sure they will get sucked into this funnel, but they will become frustrated or confused and pay someone. Believe it or not, many people do not enjoy the genius bar experience. My guess is that this app is just a way of trying to filter out some easy ones before directing them to the store. But as I said, some would rather pay someone to fix it. Those that like to solve their problems on their own, may use it or by their very nature, figure it out on their own.

• Reply 8 of 14
    Every time I talk or chat with Apple Support, it ends up taking an hour and a half. They need to streamline that, which would save them a lot of money.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wonder if Apple couldn’t build a troubleshooting framework into iOS such that it’s a background process wherever you are (meaning within Apple apps and the OS itself). You could activate it with a gesture (or Force Touch or whatever; I’m still not sure I like that...), and it would automatically take not only current diagnostic information, but grab the current state of the device. You would then describe your problem or the bug you just experienced, and Apple could then take the diagnostic/state info and automatically load it into a test device. That would bring it up to the exact layout of yours at the time, and then someone could try to replicate the bug.

I mean, even the latest release of iOS 5 has unresolved bugs.

In almost every version of iOS since, I’m still able to glitch my way into having the Springboard remain dimmed after dismissing the Spotlight screen, too.

Uh, no one cares aout iOS5 anymore, seriously. Even the iPad 2 can update to iOS9. What is that, the first iPad?

• Reply 10 of 14
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Uh, no one cares aout iOS5 anymore, seriously.

*plays a sad song on the world’s oldest violin*

What is that, the first iPad?

Yessir. I was hoping to retire it for a first-gen iPad Pro, but that doesn’t seem to be in the cards right now.

• Reply 11 of 14
    I'm sure Samsung is listening.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Please don't add another app to the iOS home screen. Just add it to the Apple Store app!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Every time I talk or chat with Apple Support, it ends up taking an hour and a half. They need to streamline that, which would save them a lot of money.

I did Apple support work for a brief time.  I trained as an At Home Advisor for a month and then took calls from customers for two weeks.  It was hell on earth.  Those of us who are curious and like to fiddle with and trouble shoot our phones are rare individuals.  Most phone users are oblivious to every single thing us techies take as common sense.  Plus let's face it, iOS is pretty deep and has a huge number of variables that cascade over each other, which makes troubleshooting these people a total nightmare.  I literally lasted only two weeks and had to quit. I pretty much was having a stress induced nervous breakdown dealing with not only the calls but the outrageous level of monitoring that Apple does with it's service employees.  I was basically being watched, timed, assessed and managed in my own home.  Some people are fine with it, but I am not made of such stuff.  If Apple can build an app/web interface that can help people troubleshoot and avoid calling in, well that would be wonderful for all involved.

• Reply 14 of 14
    welshdog wrote: »
    I did Apple support work for a brief time.  I trained as an At Home Advisor for a month and then took calls from customers for two weeks.  It was hell on earth.  Those of us who are curious and like to fiddle with and trouble shoot our phones are rare individuals.  Most phone users are oblivious to every single thing us techies take as common sense.  Plus let's face it, iOS is pretty deep and has a huge number of variables that cascade over each other, which makes troubleshooting these people a total nightmare.  I literally lasted only two weeks and had to quit. I pretty much was having a stress induced nervous breakdown dealing with not only the calls but the outrageous level of monitoring that Apple does with it's service employees.  I was basically being watched, timed, assessed and managed in my own home.  Some people are fine with it, but I am not made of such stuff.  If Apple can build an app/web interface that can help people troubleshoot and avoid calling in, well that would be wonderful for all involved.

would you rather be timed, assessed, and monitored by your employer in their office building?