Apple reminds iPhone users about Apple Pay in new Guided Tour video

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
In an ongoing effort to inform consumers about Apple Pay services, Apple on Friday released a video detailing step-by-step how-to guide for iPhone 6 and 6s process and touting the protocol's security, ease of use and features.

Posted to Apple's official YouTube channel, the Apple Pay Guided Tour takes viewers step-by-step through a touchless transaction conducted on iPhone 6s. Apple says the process is as simple as bringing an iPhone near a compatible reader and touching a registered finger to the Touch ID module.

After pointing out security benefits offered by iPhone's fingerprint-sensing technology, the video segues into strong encryption protocols built into Apple Pay itself. As Apple explains, sensitive account information is never transmitted or shared with merchants. Apple Pay uses tokenization technology to replace credit card number, CVV, expiration date, billing address and identity data with a device-specific token and dynamically generated security code.

Apple also highlights ecosystem features like the ability to add a credit card connected to iTunes by punching in its three-digit security code and, depending on the card issuing bank, confirm activation. The video closes by repeating instructions for using Apple Pay via iPhone at touchless point of sale terminals.

The informational video clip is likely aimed at iPhone owners living in the U.S., a country where NFC transactions are just now starting to gain momentum. Despite its robust security features and inherent ease-of-use, Apple Pay is has yet to reach wide adoption among iPhone owners. Studies have found a large percentage of users are hesitant to pay via Apple Pay due to security concerns, while others simply don't know how to use it, suggesting Apple has work to do in educating its consumer base.

Apple is quickly expanding Apple Pay's reach beyond the U.S. launch market, with the service launching in the UK in June and more recently in Canada and Australia this week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    "Apple reminds iPhone about Apple Pay in new Guided Tour video"

I wasn't aware the iPhone had forgotten, or wasn't aware. Perhaps you meant iPhone users in the headline?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

The major banks (credit card companies) should start flooding the prime time airwaves with their own ?Pay commercials, highlighting the service. (much like the cellular carriers have done with the iPhone itself.)

Get this thing to be ubiquitous in the consumers mind. It would certainly be of great benefit to the banks, as well as Apple.

• Reply 3 of 24
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Give us a 4" iPhone that supports Apple Pay!!! Not everyone wants a two-handed 4.7" phablet.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    mcarling wrote: »
    Give us a 4" iPhone that supports Apple Pay!!! Not everyone wants a two-handed 4.7" phablet.

I can use my iPhone 6 Plus with one hand. I'm reading your comment and replying to it, all while using one hand as I'm eating with the other hand. I use my iPhone 6 Plus with one hand practically all the time. It's not really that hard once you get used to it.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

I can use my iPhone 6 Plus with one hand. I'm reading your comment and replying to it, all while using one hand as I'm eating with the other hand. I use my iPhone 6 Plus with one hand practically all the time. It's not really that hard once you get used to it.

Some people have smaller hands than you do.

• Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Some people have smaller hands than you do.

my primary phone is Iphone 4 (well i know i need to upgrade), but recently i got Asus Zenfone 2 at my work, which is 5.5 size so same as Iphone 6 plus. Im using both in parallel and after two months, well 5.5 is bigger and sometimes not so practial for use with one hand, but not a big deal at the end of the day. So people should try it first for some reasonable amount of time, ofcourse if you just try it at Apple store and say "its too big"m, its not enough i believe.

P.S. Its my first Android phone and honestly said, i was positively surprised by quality, performance, even system is not big difference compared to iOs these days. But you know, comparing 5 years old Iphone 4 with latest Android big screen phone is not relevant at all.

• Reply 7 of 24
    This article puts your feet back to the ground in some ways as it one more time pots out that the vast majority of people do not buy an iPhone for its full feature set. They don't k ownapplePay exists, don't know how to use it or are afraid to use it. I really wonder what makes people like them actually chose iPhone. I suppose that such people might also not get excited about seeing how seemlessly it integrates with other Apple products, like their MacBook (if they have one). Is it all about the brand in the end?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    (Sort of related since the thread is about the iPhone): Eight years after its intro, why doesn't the iPhone still offer a 'restart' option? Does anyone know or have a surmise?
  • Reply 9 of 24

Until Apple starts accepting Visa Debit Cards it is a waste of my time.

• Reply 10 of 24

It does. Hold down the Home and Power buttons at the same time.

• Reply 11 of 24
    Anyone know if Apple Pay will activate even while the phone is already "awake" and in use?

I loaded my iPhone with all my credit cards and have yet to use it simply because nowhere I go regularly has Apple Pay!
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Love love love Apple Pay. Much quicker and easier to use than I thought. Can't wait for more retailers to accept it. Hopefully the number grows quickly, as more here in the US have to upgrade their terminals to accept EMV.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    gofaster wrote: »

Of course! :embarrass
  • Reply 14 of 24

Why would you ever want to use a debit card when you can use a credit card?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Anyone know if Apple Pay will activate even while the phone is already "awake" and in use?

I loaded my iPhone with all my credit cards and have yet to use it simply because nowhere I go regularly has Apple Pay!

Yes, placing your finger on the TouchID button will activate ApplePay whether the phone is on or off (when it's held against the NFC terminal).
  • Reply 16 of 24

Used Apple Pay for the first time today at the Post Office (Reading, UK).

Very simple.

It is sad that more retailers have not signed up for it. IF they have they aren't making it obvious to customers.

• Reply 17 of 24
    The main reason I don't use it is my primary financial institution doesn't support it yet, so I can't use it with my debit card.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Apple Pay accepts VISA Debit cards issued by the supported UK financial institutions.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GOFaster View Post

One of the most ignorant posts I've seen in awhile.

• Reply 20 of 24
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(Sort of related since the thread is about the iPhone): Eight years after its intro, why doesn't the iPhone still offer a 'restart' option? Does anyone know or have a surmise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOFaster View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course! image

As former Apple AHA I recommend you always try a "power off" first before a two button restart.  The forced restart is more violent from a system standpoint, and is akin to pulling the plug on a computer.  Holding the power button down and sliding to power off is a more structured method to solve various system issues.