Amazon Video, Microsoft OneDrive & Google Drive for iOS update with 3D Touch [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Amazon, Google, and Microsoft on Tuesday updated key iOS apps with support for 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, simultaneously adding a number of other features. [Updated with Google Drive info]

Amazon Video's 3D Touch support enables shortcuts to some of the app's main functions. Microsoft OneDrive, meanwhile, now employs the technology to access recently used cloud files from the homescreen icon.

Beyond 3D Touch, Amazon has also enabled X-Ray, allowing users to tap a button and see IMDb data on actors, music, and trivia while a video is in progress. The new version also includes Next Up, essentially Netflix-style automatic queuing of TV episodes.

iPad users can now make use of Video on the iPad Pro, as well as iOS 9's Picture in Picture and Slide Over multitasking features.

OneDrive's remaining upgrades include scoped folder search for personal accounts, and support for Microsoft's Intune mobile app management.

Both apps are free downloads, although they're linked to paid online services. Amazon Video runs on any device with iOS 7 or later, whereas OneDrive requires iOS 8.

Update: Google Drive's 3D Touch commands let users search the app, open recent items, or upload photos.

The improved app will additionally push notifications for shared files, and index content for iOS 9's native search tool. It runs on devices with iOS 8 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sog35 wrote: »
    So now where is that jerk executive editor from the Verge that said no one would make 3d touch apps until iPhone7?
    I don't think you'll find him on this site. Try the Verge site is my advice.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    I don't think you'll find him on this site. Try the Verge site is my advice.
    I was trying to find what "he" actually said. Was it Patel? I doubt it was "no 3D apps" but perhaps something close to that?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Are people using 3D Touch a lot? Along with Live Photo, I expected I would, but surprisingly (or sadly), I've rarely used either very much.

I wonder if there's some major use-case I am missing.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So I can watch Amazon content on my Mac and on my iPhone but not on my Apple TV? What’s with that? Who the hell made the decision not to have an Amazon app for the Apple TV? Jeff or Tim?

• Reply 5 of 9
    lkrupp wrote: »
    So I can watch Amazon content on my Mac and on my iPhone but not on my Apple TV? What’s with that? Who the hell made the decision not to have an Amazon app for the Apple TV? Jeff or Tim?

I'm with you on that one. That would be the icing on the cake for me, and make it available on the prior two versions as well.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Huh! It's certainly not Tim. IS that a serious question?

Amazon is trying to assert, whatever by doing that. Who knows what really?

• Reply 7 of 9
    sog35 wrote: »
    So now where is that jerk executive editor from the Verge that said no one would make 3d touch apps until iPhone7?

Is anyone actually using 3d touch? Out of all the people I see with a new iPhone 6s, non of them use it or even know what it is.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Is anyone actually using 3d touch? Out of all the people I see with a new iPhone 6s, non of them use it or even know what it is.
    I've "used" it accidentally more times than I've used it purposefully. The detection between a long press and a force touch is not easily gauged, which makes it an annoying feature, in my opinion. Offers no substantial utility as of now, all aspects of it can be delivered by alternative means.