T-Mobile offers $200 per line for Sprint customers who switch this holiday

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
As part of its latest "Un-carrier" promotion, T-Mobile announced on Wednesday that it will pay an extra $200 per line for every Sprint customer who switches to its service, with no trade-in required.

Sprint customers can earn the award by switching their number to a T-Mobile Simple choice postpaid plan starting this Thursday, Nov. 26. Doing so will give users an automatic $200 credit on their bill, for as many lines as they switch, including business accounts.

The offer extends beyond Sprint and includes its postpaid and prepaid options, Boost and Virgin Mobile.

"I cannot think of any wireless customers in more desperate need of some holiday cheer than those Sprint customers still hanging on over there," said John Legere, president and CEO of T-Mobile. "Those poor people have put up with the nation's slowest and smallest LTE network, and their carrier throwing out a deal-of-the-month for everyone except them. We know Sprint's customers love T-Mobile when they switch, so this holiday season, we're taking away every barrier and cost to coming over to the Un-carrier and America's fastest 4G LTE network."

The new promotion is in addition to T-Mobile's Carrier Freedom plan, which offers up to $650 or more per line to cover Sprint's early termination fees or the balance owed on a Sprint plan. That offer requires users to trade in their handset when they switch to T-Mobile.

T-Mobile also offers its "Unlimited LTE" plans at $45 per line for a family of four.

T-Mobile's "Un-carrier Unwrapped" promotions are aggressively targeting switchers, with more announcements to come. The carrier has promised "additional gifts" for Verizon and AT&T customers over the next few weeks.

The Sprint deal was announced just two days after T-Mobile revealed it will give existing users three months of free, unlimited LTE data. The initial gift applies to all active Simple Choice postpaid customers, and will go into effect Dec. 1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Seems like T-mo and Sprint are in a death spiral, fighting over table scraps.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Seems like T-mo and Sprint are in a death spiral, fighting over table scraps.

T-mobile have 60 million customers, 20% of the population of the US. Hardly table scraps.

They have just knocked Sprint off of the 3rd place spot so they are moving in the right direction.

• Reply 3 of 6
    evilution wrote: »

T-mobile have 60 million customers, 20% of the population of the US. Hardly table scraps.
    They have just knocked Sprint off of the 3rd place spot so they are moving in the right direction.

They've increased subscribers by having a continuous fire sale. That's not sustainable. Their best hope is to be sold off to a rival. Remember their sale being blocked previously?
  • Reply 4 of 6

I've been using T-Mobile for the past couple of weeks.  (I have to spend a month in Mexico & refuse to pay AT&T's "Passport" rates to use my iPhone in Mexico.)  I have to say T-Mobile has improved...  a lot.  

You should thank Legere & T-Mobile for shaking up the industry.  If you're seeing improvements in the offerings being provided by AT&T and Verizon, its due to T-Mobile.

• Reply 5 of 6
    They've increased subscribers by having a continuous fire sale. That's not sustainable. Their best hope is to be sold off to a rival. Remember their sale being blocked previously?

Yeah pretty much. Remember they got a huge breakup fee when that deal fell through. They're burning through all that cash trying to get new customers. Their churn rates are still really high - more than double that of VZ and T. T Mobile is great at attracting new customers but not as good at keeping them.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Customers should not be seduced by a
    T-Mobile deal that seems too good to be true. We left AT&T after many years of wildly fluctuating bills, and their consistent inability to provide us with a paper statement. We had "bundled" services, and AT&T would send us an Internet services bill with late charges every three months or so. It was highly frustrating.
    We switched to T-Mobile's Family Plan, on steroids, as my husband's company offered a magnificent deal for our family of five to switch. A great Lockheed Martin deal for Rodney DeSoto in Pearland, TX. (Yes, I'm that angry!) We received a buyout of our AT&T contracts. We would receive AT&T cash cards in the mail for each of the five lines opened. The kicker? The new bill, for five cell phones and service, was much cheaper than AT&T for three phones.
    Well, that didn't last! T-Mobile didn't pay off AT&T. We did. Big money for us. No "bonus cash cards" ever arrived in the mail. The T-Mobile office in Pearland, TX, ignored all of my husband's requests to resolve this matter.
    Worst of all? My T-Mobile bill has creeped up. Why? I don't know. We have a $10.00 discount for e-billing, and I need every single credit available.
    Mea Culpa. We were supposed to take care of the Lockheed Martin company incentive business online, but the Pearland, TX location promised to meet the terms listed on our company website as they were more or less the same as being advertised. We could walk out with five smart phones, screen protectors and defender cases.
    Well, if it's too good to be true, then it is! T-Mobile is just as predatory as AT&T. We had to pay AT&T for our phones and contracts. My son and I had very expensive Samsung Galaxy 4 paperweights. My husband had not updated. Also, AT&T is now charging us a small fortune for Internet service, only.
    Moral of the story: If it's too good to be true... I don't believe that
    T-Mobile plans to honor all of their signed contracts. Either that, or the manager of the Pearland, TX location needs to be reevaluated.