Apple Music will arrive on Sonos via public beta program Dec. 15

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2015
Sonos and Apple will launch support for the Apple Music subscription service this month on Dec. 15, though it will initially be available as a public beta to users of Sonos speaker systems.

Sonos announced on Monday that it has been working closely with Apple to bring Apple Music to its Sonos ecosystem. Beginning Dec. 15, the "early preview" will offer Sonos users access to their Apple Music library, as well as the features "For You," "New," and "Radio."

Beyond the initial beta period, general availability will start in early 2016. Sonos is now allowing customers to register for the beta program on its website.

"Many of our members love Sonos and want to enjoy our service throughout their homes," said Eddy Cue, Apple senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "We're thrilled to be working with Sonos to provide the Apple Music experience in even more places fans enjoy music."

Apple Music will be able to be controlled through the Sonos app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, as well as Mac, PC and Android phones. With Sonos speakers, users will be able to play their Apple msuic content in any or multiple rooms in their home.

"Streaming is bringing more music into everyone's lives --?and that's a better life. The introduction of Apple Music marks an inflection point for streaming and its mass adoption," said Sonos co-founder and CEO John MacFarlane. "Now that we have access to virtually all the music on Earth, how music lovers listen to it is even more important. We are honored to bring Apple Music to Sonos listeners all over the world."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    This is nice and frankly expected. However it still does not address a long standing request by many for Sonos to support AirPlay. Sonos hardware will support AirPlay [via hacks], but either Apple does not want to share this with them or more likely, Sonos does not want to pay licensing. The Sonos app is fine, but AirPlay provides features that Sonos does not.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Brilliant news
  • Reply 3 of 10

This leaves those of us who prefer to use iTunes match out of the system. Many of us have spent years curating the list of music that we wish to own and to play, and have things in our libraries that Apple does not. I would happily pay separately to have AirPlay enabled on Sonos. For me, it's a much better service.

• Reply 4 of 10
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Excellent news. Sonos is the only reason why I've still got a Spotify subscription.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member

Sonos today has more viable competition than ever.   Bose has their multi-room audio with Airplay support and many of the DTS PlayFi stuff I've seen supports Airplay natively. 

I've been stuck circling in the air about whether to see if Airplay gets a nice bump in features. start building a Sonos system and now with companies like Martin Logan and Paradigm making DTS Playfi systems that's another option to consider. 

Guess I'll wait to see how things shake out by next summer and then make a decision. 

• Reply 6 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Decent decision.

I still think android support was a terrible idea.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    The only thing preventing me from getting a Sonos setup is the lack of AirPlay. I hate having to run my music through (yet) another app.
  • Reply 8 of 10

Great news. We love our Sonos system, and the only thing holding us back from trying Apple Music has been lack of Sonos support. (We've been listening to music on Sonos from Pandora, internet radio stations through TuneIn, and our iTunes library on our Apple devices.)

• Reply 9 of 10
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    mscohen wrote: »
    This leaves those of us who prefer to use iTunes match out of the system. Many of us have spent years curating the list of music that we wish to own and to play, and have things in our libraries that Apple does not. I would happily pay separately to have AirPlay enabled on Sonos. For me, it's a much better service.

What is the issue exactly? From the app you can select any playlist on your computer.... I can see it being nice, but not huge.

Personally, I am pissed with Sonos after having bought a Playbar... What a disappointment!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Got myself on the beta program. Apple Music is pretty barebones right now. No Like functionality. Though, the For You list is fully populated, which is most of the reason I use Apple Music.

hopefully more functionality will become available as we get closer to ship date.