Apple's Tim Cook to receive Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights 'Ripple of Hope' award

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2015
It was announced on Monday that Apple CEO Tim Cook will receive the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights organization's 2015 "Ripple of Hope" award at a New York ceremony on Dec. 8.

The award "lauds leaders of the international business, entertainment, and activist communities who demonstrate commitment to social change and reflect Robert Kennedy's passion for equality, justice, basic human rights, and his belief that we all must strive to 'make gentle the life of this world'," according to the organization's official website.

Other people set to receive the award this year include UNESCO ambassador Marianna Vardinoyannis, U.S. Congressman John Lewis, and Evercore co-founder Roger Altman.

Cook is a big financial backer of RFKHR. For three years, Cook has auctioned off lunch meetings with the goal of sending proceeds to the organization -- this year's package, also including two VIP passes to an Apple keynote, generated over $200,000.

The CEO has been a vocal supporter of causes like gay rights, workplace diversity, and renewable energy. The company continues to take flak for poor wages and working conditions at its Chinese suppliers, but under Cook has also committed to making gradual improvements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    You know, I would prefer Tim Cook got an award for making the best ultrabooks. That crown has passed for the time being to their competitors. Could it be Tim Cook is more focussed on social issues than running the business?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Congrats Tim!

Note: careful investigation will reveal whether the great things Tim has done for the world are INSTEAD of or IN ADDITION to his CEO duties. I won't spoil the answer :)
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

You know, I would prefer Tim Cook got an award for making the best ultrabooks. That crown has passed for the time being to their competitors. Could it be Tim Cook is more focussed on social issues than running the business?

Sorry, but anyone who thinks the CEO of ANY consistently successful mega-corporation works out details for any PR/social issue activity, has no grasp on how corporations work. Some people have valid complaints about products, services, sales, stock value, employee treatment, foreign labor, patent theft and defense thereof, layout of retail stores and on and on, but to assume those issues are there because the CEO endorses certain causes (also endorsed by Google, Microsoft and others) is a misunderstanding of management. Some people certainly disagree with some social causes as well, and have the right to express their dislike of cases, but bundling their concern with management diligence doesn't hold up in the real world.

• Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

'make gentle the life of this world'

That worked out well for the Eloi.

• Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Could it be Tim Cook is more focussed on social issues than running the business?

No, it couldn't. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11959016/Apple-reports-biggest-annual-profit-in-history.html

This should be obvious, because it's so self-evident. 

You can employ as many sneaky leading questions as you like, but you'd still just be trolling. And poorly at that. 

• Reply 6 of 13
    entropys wrote: »

Nah, MacBook is still the best ultra book.
  • Reply 7 of 13

Which ultrabook? How? What criteria did you use to make that bombastic statement?

Otoh, maybe I could get some of what you're smoking....
  • Reply 8 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Apple just had their most successful Q4 ever, and they're going to have the most successful Q1 of any company in history. This trend has been going on since Cook too office. Tim Cook must be a fucking God, if he's managing to run the most successful business on the planet (by every single metric) without even being focussed on it. 

On a serious note, I'm sick and tired of your frankly filthy, petty, and childish line of reasoning, based on what you must know is a lie. It's depressing to think that there's a chance you seriously believe that whatever social causes Cook champions is somehow *instead* of effectively running the business, as if it's either or. Does Cook develop, design, and build Macbooks himself? Is the Macbook roadmap somehow affected by whatever social causes Cook believes in? What a ridiculous concept. Grow up and stop trolling. Feel free to shit on what Cook believes in, but don't be a coward by pretending that it's negatively affecting Apple's business. You know it isn't, and so does everyone else. 

• Reply 9 of 13
    Tim Cook should spend less time inspiring others and being a ripple of hope while at the same creating world record sales & profits and more time.....er, wait, no. that's exactly what he should be doing.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Inadvertently read that as "Nipple of Hope Award" for some reason.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Ok, the MacBook Air used to be the best ultrabook in the world, but it hasn't been for some time now. It needs skylake, a retina screen, more ram, and at present is beaten by the dellsxps and if touch is your bag, the HP spectre x360 is also very good, once you get past the name. They have hi Res screens, more ram, and skylake processors. And the dell weighs less, takes up less space that the MBA 13, and packs in addition to a number of other ports a thunderbolt 3/USB c port. For the same sort of money. The only thing it lacks is OSX.

How do you know Cook isn't coasting on past performance? Those stellar results are because of iPhone. Apple would still be doing well without iPhone, but unless they get serious real soon now, it will be only iPhone.

I can't believe I am saying this, but what would Steve do? You know the answer. He wouldn't have let the MacBook Air languish, and he could not care less about some social awareness award.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I can't believe I am saying this, but what would Steve do? You know the answer. He wouldn't have let the MacBook Air languish,

How quickly we forget or whitewash history into something that didn't exist. How many times did AI run articles claiming the Mac mini was going to disappear because it hadn't been updated in so long? And the Mac Pro? And their Cinema Display, still at their original price many years later? And Mac notebooks have never been better than they are now.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    So the MBA hasn't languished?

Ok the reason I am upset is because I have to buy three laptops for my kids. I would like to get MBAs. But non retina, 5th gen processors and too little RAM in std config doesn't cut it in comparison to DELL or HP. It makes me angry as I can see my kids moving to the dark side. So Tim is swanning around getting accolades? Update the frigging MBA!