Patent monetization firm Papst Licensing sets sights on Apple over data transfer tech

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2015
Apple is once again in the legal crosshairs of a non-practicing entity, this time as part of a lawsuit leveled by patent monetization firm Papst, which claims iPhone, iPad and iPod infringe on four owned properties relating to data transfer technology.

Lodged with the patent holder-friendly U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas on Monday, Papst's complaint involves four patents, specifically U.S. Patent Nos. 6,473,399, 8,504,746, 8,966,144 and 9,189,437, each dealing with digital media transfer protocols.

In particular, Papst claims it notified Apple of devices in infringement of the '399 patent as early as 2007, saying a dialogue concerning the matter continued until mid-2010. The IP, reassigned from electronics outfit Labortechnik Tasler, covers efficient data communications applicable to Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) and Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) technology. The patent's claims detail a communications system capable of compensating for transmission delays and varying transmission rates by checking whether data units sent from one node were received by a second node.

Papst further claims Apple was monitoring Papst's patent prosecution and therefore had knowledge of the '746, '144 and '437 patents. Still, the company moved forward with production, marketing and sales of devices using Papst-owned technology, the complaint states.

Papst Licensing is a German patent holdings firm borrowing its name from prolific engineer and inventor Hermann Papst, who dabbled in various fields but is perhaps most well known for founding electric motor manufacturer Papst-Motoren. Papst's son Georg Papst purchased Papst-Motoren's patent portfolio in 1992 to create Papst Licensing, which is now run by a third generation of Papsts.

As a patent monetization entity, Papst is assigned intellectual property and enforces it, in court if necessary, as patent holder. According to its website, Papst has successfully negotiated some 150 licensing agreements with major electronics brands including Canon, Fujitsu, HP, IBM, LG, Matsushita (Panasonic), Samsung, Seagate, Sony and Toshiba. Most recently, Papst has gone after digital camera brands like Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic using the same IP leveraged against Apple. Many of those suits have been consolidated into a single case in Washington, D.C.

In its case against Apple, Papst seeks a jury trial for past and future damages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

Reading the lawsuit, I think Apple needs to stop selling everything in East Texas.

Then they couldn't really be held liable for anything brought to them in that jurisdiction.

Do a kind of "void in Rhode Island" kind of thing for online sales.

Apple- void in East Texas.

• Reply 2 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    It wouldn't feel like the holidays without an NPE grinch. All is right with the world.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Nothing worse than having deja vu over and over again in East Texas..
  • Reply 4 of 18

Still reading... I would think that a patent for a high-tech thing would be a bit more specific in it's implementation (which is what a patent is- the implementation of an idea).

"The method in claim 17, wherein the timer monitor is another counter counting time intervals in order to estimate the predetermined time period."

How does it do this? Or does your invention not have a working prototype? Just theoretical...

Seems like lots of patents these days are for ideas and not specific implementations of those ideas. How does that work with all of the fees involved in getting a patent? Do they not actually look at the applications submitted?

• Reply 5 of 18
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Still reading... I would think that a patent for a high-tech thing would be a bit more specific in it's implementation (which is what a patent is- the implementation of an idea).

"The method in claim 17, wherein the timer monitor is another counter counting time intervals in order to estimate the predetermined time period."
    How does it do this? Or does your invention not have a working prototype? Just theoretical...

Seems like lots of patents these days are for ideas and not specific implementations of those ideas. How does that work with all of the fees involved in getting a patent? Do they not actually look at the applications submitted?

The easy answer is the USPTO and all other patent offices simply gave this guy a patent and didn't do any research into whether it made sense or was specific enough. Your quote demonstrates the problems these types of broad thinking parents cause.
  • Reply 6 of 18

The patents are littered with phrases like: "in such a way that" "memory means"... without telling what those means or ways are.

"matched to a very specific type of multi-purpose interface or SCSI interface" - Oh, it's old tech trying to say they invented new tech.

• Reply 7 of 18

And the suit was filed by a guy named Goodpastor?

Bad pastor :devil:

• Reply 8 of 18
    Give this guy Pabst a Blue Ribbon. He deserves it.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member

As Yogi once said, this is dejà vu all over again.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Reply 10 of 18
    I too should be making a killing once I file a lawsuit against Apple for infringing on my patent:

"Method of Lifting An Object Up To Face In Order To Communicate In Such A Way That Information Is Conveyed."
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Stop with the politically correct naming variations for these "businesses". They're trolls. Call them as such. If AI believes in capitalism, then support GOOD capitalism by calling out bad capitalism.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I love mine.. ApplePay on watch is just as sweet as anything can get...
    Between a very cool time piece and a payment device its worth every penny.
    Add on top health, (calorie count, heart rate..)
    Messaging in several creative ways..
    Navigation.
    Taptic engine..

Its already awesome! (And i have not even tried a single 3rd party App yet. )

But ofcourse it can be better...and it will get better with the very iteration.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    I love mine.. ApplePay on watch is just as sweet as anything can get...
    Between a very cool time piece and a payment device its worth every penny.
    Add on top health, (calorie count, heart rate..)
    Messaging in several creative ways..
    Navigation.
    Taptic engine..

Its already awesome! (And i have not even tried a single 3rd party App yet. )

But ofcourse it can be better...and it will get better with the very iteration.

LOL! That's one hell of a tangent!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    I hate these patent trolls with a passion - but if they've really signed licensing agreements with all of those other companies, is it possible that what they hold in this case is actually valid?

Disclosure: I haven't read anything except for this article. If it turns out to be a valid patent that Apple has actually infringed - how much are we talking about? What are they asking for $-wise?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Transfer of data patent?

It's zeros and ones, these bits moved from here to there, it's the same process behind the floppy drive, and every data cable since the telegraph.

Stupid patent office. Government has gotten too fat, less government jobs would mean more competition for these life long entitlement drains, and we'd have a magnitude better of personal researching these claims, instead of the rubber stamp idiocy that typified the Patent Office under the leadership of Democrats and Republicans. If you've voted D or R, thanks a lot clowns, you own the responsibility. Next Election Day, stay home, consider holding your breath for as long as you can.

If you've voted D or R and are going to post below, before you bitch about patents, look in the mirror because your team, the ones you support, and you your lazy ignorant self, are to blame.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Looked up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol.
    This seems to be an industry wide protocol.
    How does Papst expect to profit from other companies efforts when their contribution is a minor part of the PTP protocol? Please can anybody help me to understand why Papst thinks they can force other companies to pay them when the protocol was created by many other companies.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    flyghtms wrote: »
    Looked up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol.
    This seems to be an industry wide protocol.
    How does Papst expect to profit from other companies efforts when their contribution is a minor part of the PTP protocol? Please can anybody help me to understand why Papst thinks they can force other companies to pay them when the protocol was created by many other companies.

I see a patent invalidation in their future.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    tenly wrote: »
    LOL! That's one hell of a tangent!

Lol.. My bad...wrong Article. Lol