New "update" is broken.

Posted:
in Feedback
The "comments" link in articles is now broken. There is no element on the page with id="comments" so the #comments link goes nowhere.

I would like to comment on this article: http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/12/03/apples-federighi-positions-open-sourced-swift-as-primary-scalable-programming-language

Yet, the "comments" link is broken, and I can't find the article in the forum.

This change clearly needed more testing before deploying.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    ... :'( ...
  • Reply 2 of 62
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Give them some time to make the changes. There are obviously a few things missing just now. Leave constructive feedback about the most important things that need to be added.

The quote button is obviously one of them and linking up the comments to the front page. In the mean-time, just add comments directly to the articles but suggestions about the forum itself should go in Feedback.

For people who used the newposts link before to see the most recently discussed topics, that seems to be the following link now:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussions

and from what I can see it greys out ones you have read.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    Marvin, any idea if we're stuck with these awful all-lowercase nicknames?
  • Reply 4 of 62

It depends on if they migrated them over as lower-case or if they are just printing them lower-case. If they migrated them lower-case, they might be stuck like that but they can always setup screen names or change them in the database directly.

The quote button is functional now.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    No testing of new forum software; Huddler was simply shutdown. For 3 days there wasn’t an option to comment on articles or posts, which resulted in:

1. No way to reply to a comment.
    2. No way to see who’s online.
    3. No way to up/down vote.
    4. No gravatars.
    5. No writers’ credit: all articles are still published by "Kasper's Automated Slave”.
    6. No more that 16 emoji’s.
    7. No history to be searched.
    8. No search in posters comments.
    9. No sort order in posters comments.
    10. No Top 10 of Most Popular Threads.
    11. No Top 10 of most liked posts. Not for the Previous Week. Not for the Previous Month. No Top 10 for All Time.
    I’m interested what is being done to the current ‘situation’. Is AppleInsider going to test another Forum Software Vendor, or have they already done so and decided this was the best available? If you’d like I could ‘beta test stuff’ for you guys and try to point out shortcomings, bugs, feature requests - the like. Just say The Word.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    @philboogie testing reply
  • Reply 7 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jeffdm said:

@philboogie testing reply

Testing quoting.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    marvin said:

It depends on if they migrated them over as lower-case or if they are just printing them lower-case. If they migrated them lower-case, they might be stuck like that but they can always setup screen names or change them in the database directly.

The quote button is functional now.
    FYI: The quote function does not work in the mobile version of the site. I had to switch to the full version of the site to quote you.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Where can I see my infractions and penalties? That seems to be missing.

Are infractions and penalties gone from the new forum, or are they just invisible?

I need to see mine, as I always seem to be a hair away from being booted recently.

I'm not sure if I like the new layout, because it doesn't look like a forum anymore IMO.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    This thing is...not good. Bad enough I'll probably just move over to iMore, as it's at least not some kind of...well, I'm not sure what to call this aesthetic. Also, a one hour edit timer limit?
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 11 of 62

This thing is...not good. Bad enough I'll probably just move over to iMore, as it's at least not some kind of...well, I'm not sure what to call this aesthetic. Also, a one hour edit timer limit?

iLike iMore. ;)
  • Reply 12 of 62
    apple ][ said:

Where can I see my infractions and penalties? That seems to be missing.

Are infractions and penalties gone from the new forum, or are they just invisible?

I need to see mine, as I always seem to be a hair away from being booted recently.

You can always just try to avoid making offensive comments, that would work too. The aim isn't to boot people but to keep discussion civilized, if you're doing that then you have nothing to worry about. The infraction system isn't in place yet, I'm not sure how it will work but it's unlikely that it will be the same as before and the new system will probably start from scratch.

I think it would be better having members more involved in policing each other's comments to an extent. I had considered that having a nested comment system might work better but it's not always optimal layout-wise. Replies to a particular comment would get grouped together and if people didn't like that whole conversation, they could just collapse and hide the entire conversation with one click. If lots of people were hiding it then mods/admins could see this and hide it from everyone with one click and just let the people involved in it continue if it was going off-topic. Not only that, if someone blocked a member then it would hide their comments and any replies to them so as far as that person was concerned, that member would be gone from the forum. There might be an option to do this with a tagging system to avoid screwing up the layout. Nested layouts make it harder to see all the new comments.

There will always be members that people don't like and moderation mainly covers abuse and it can never be the case that the forum can only have the members that any one person likes so that needs a way for people to manage their own personal space better. If members were blocking and hiding someone a lot then there can be a message sent to that member that this is happening to encourage them to make more constructive comments.

The timeout bans were mostly to prevent someone derailing a thread further but this can be done more easily by just locking someone out of a discussion if they leave abusive or offensive comments so that might be the route taken in future. There would have to still be some kind of ban feature but how it works doesn't have to be determined by a 3rd party. The way it worked before is if someone was frequently abusive, it started banning after each instance. If someone was abusive over a period of years then it didn't ban at all. So someone who had made 20 abusive out of 20 total posts over the space of 5 years wouldn't be banned but someone who had made 20 out of 1000 posts in 6 months would be banned multiple times. It makes sense in a way but other methods can be just as effective.

It seems to be a more flexible platform now so there's more freedom to implement custom functionality. It can't always be implemented overnight though and some features can be too complex to put in place.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    How do I go to the last comment in a thread, or to the first unread one? This seems bizarre, because the non-mobile site was one of the best-working forum interfaces on the web. It works better on mobile now, but on desktops, it's terrible in comparison to before. Also, the edit tool doesn't work with ad-blocker switched on. ;)
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 14 of 62
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    We are reading all your comments and suggestions and working on things behind-the-scenes, and I will be answering support email all weekend.

Major transitions are always difficult, but this one will absolutely be for the better for everyone in the long run. Ultimately, we had no real agency with Huddler and that was preventing us from doing some of the things you guys wanted us to do, and/or that we, internally, felt we should be doing. Transition to the new forums is just step one.

Bear with us while we work out the kinks, and thanks for being a part of our community!
  • Reply 15 of 62
    JSnively said:
    We are reading all your comments and suggestions and working on things behind-the-scenes, and I will be answering support email all weekend.

Major transitions are always difficult, but this one will absolutely be for the better for everyone in the long run. Ultimately, we had no real agency with Huddler and that was preventing us from doing some of the things you guys wanted us to do, and/or that we, internally, felt we should be doing. Transition to the new forums is just step one.

Bear with us while we work out the kinks, and thanks for being a part of our community!
    Thanks for taking the lead on this issue and nice to meet you. 

Is is there an official link where we should be making suggestions or bringing issues to your attention?
  • Reply 16 of 62
    Oh! The old platform was Huddler? Well then, by all means: congratulations, and I'll bear with you and help where I can. Huddler are the devil.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    JSnively said:

Major transitions are always difficult, but this one will absolutely be for the better for everyone in the long run. 
    Huddler had its problems but this software is worse on many levels. Sure, you can conceivably build it up to be acceptable but what happens when this provider gets acquired by some other company?

In my opinion AI should use some open source platform or at least something that has editable code, host it on an enterprise cloud service and never be burdened with dealing with an outside forum vendor again.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 18 of 62
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    Thanks for taking the lead on this issue and nice to meet you. 

Is is there an official link where we should be making suggestions or bringing issues to your attention?
    You can go ahead and do that here since it's already linked in the notice at the top of the forums.

volcan said:

In my opinion AI should use some open source platform or at least something that has editable code, host it on a cloud platform and never be burdened with dealing with an outside forum vendor again.
    I agree completely, which is why that is exactly what we did : )

• Reply 19 of 62
    apple ][ said:
    Where can I see my infractions and penalties? That seems to be missing. Are infractions and penalties gone from the new forum, or are they just invisible? I need to see mine, as I always seem to be a hair away from being booted recently. I'm not sure if I like the new layout, because it doesn't look like a forum anymore IMO.
    Speaking of things missing or not liking....  No pinch and zoom or "turn device sideways for larger text view" on comments forum?

There..  That's my topic.  Skip over this is this is NOT and issue for you and 4 point size that's non adjustable is NOT and issue with you when reading or writing in the comments section now in the new layout.  For you guys that think it's fine "Move on nothing to see here" (oh I made a pun, get it?  Nothing to "see" here as in literally I can't see it HA!)

I know that it must have taking hundreds and hundreds of hours and then testing to get the new forum and comments sections moved, up and running, but for an apple site that deals exclusively with apple issues and apple product to leave off the most basic of Apple features "pinch and zoom" that seems idiotic to me.  Does no one else have a problem with the unadjustable size on their iPhone?  Seriously?  It's so small I have to squint.  And turning the phone doesn't adjust the screen size to wrap the text in the comments section making it bigger, it actually just keeps it exactly the same but the window width is wider.

If someone has figured out a work around (and please don't tell me a work around is to "stop signing into this forum", that's not helping at all, but I can see that coming a mile away). Anything constructive I would really appreciate it, because I click on this site 5-7 times a day just to get the pulse of others.

8 years ago I had my eye doctor switch my contact lenses away from 20/20 vision (which was 5.0 in each eye) to "20/20 at 18 inches".  Yes they actually can do it AND they have a dedicated chart for that as well.  I had him do this because everything I do all day long is on a computer so actually 18 inches should be my 20/20.  Since then I wear 3.5 in one eye, 4.0 in the other and can see not only things on the computer with ease, but oddly enough I didn't loose much on far away either.  Hell I can read the street signs waaaay down the street, long before anyone else in the car and they have 20/20 vision!  Lol

If someone can please explain why MacRumours, 9 to 5 Mac and all the others and have a "pinch to zoom" forum and article option but a site who has the word "Apple" in their name can not, I would appreciate knowing  And if anyone can give me a ligeitimate work around other than stop coming here - that would be appreciated as well

Joseph

P.S.  What happened to the pencil icon that allowed you to make adjustments to mistakes.  On the iPhone the typing area was soooooooo small 3 lines only at a time, that when using Siri those 3 lines would move off the page quickly.  I had to post THEN see what needed corrections because I could pinch and zoom in preview mode.  It was quicker and more efficient to post then correct.  So now there's no option for correcting what you post?"
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Click the little cogwheel icon to edit your post. The option won't show up if you have ad-blocking set to block scripts.
This discussion has been closed.