Network admin preparation...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, been lurking for a while now, a couple of years. I think i'm ready to make a post

I'm considering a career change and am interested in the computer field. the local community college offers this for a Network Administrator Certificate:

Introduction to computer information system (3 units)

Using the internet (1.5 units)

fundamentals of Microsoft windos (1.5 units)

introduction to computer networks I (1.5 units)

introduction to copmuter networks II (1.5 units)

Windows 2000 Professional (1.5 units)

Windows 2000 Server (3 units)

Microcomputer hardware (3 units)

total units for this certificate 16.5 units, this program also preps the students for Microsoft Certification exams.

Now, for you guys that are in the field of network admin, is this program, plus if i pass the MS Certification exam, would it be enough to qualify me for a job? I mean to take other classes in addition to these classes, like A+ certification preparation,

I have a MA, it's in music tho. This is not to brag, but just to clearify that i'm not someone who is just out of high school.

what, in your opinion, is left out of this program that would be necessary for the job of an entry level system adminstator?

Is the program i described above a good program (lets just assume that the prof's are good)?

Is the job marke good for system administrator?

can you use Mac's to admin windows boxes?

Is the CISCO CCNA examination, if i pass it, more "valuable" and/or "prestigious" then the MSCE?

I hope this doesn't sound like a bunch of stupid questions, and as a result, make me sound like an idiot. anything advice would be deeply appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    This is fine if you want a dull life of administering Windows networks and hopping onto the M$ certification treadmill. Yes, these courses and M$ certification will be all you need to get a network admin job at a Windows shop -- and there are lots of those out there -- but you'll never really be respected by true "geeks."

Abandon all hope of being able to use a Mac or have any real involvement with Macs (other than your home machine, of course). You won't be taken seriously by an employer if you apply for a Windows-oriented admin job but then ask for a Mac for your desktop.

Personally, I've left the web development field (bubble burst, etc.) and am looking to do a two-pronged consulting thing -- web development and design on the one hand (since it's what I've been doing, but I labor under no illusions that I'll be making much money from this), and Mac consulting on the other. To that end, I got the ACTC certification and joined the Apple Consultants Network. I'm eventually going to get ACSA certification, which is a high-level certification (read: you have to know how to edit config files at the command line and other deep, UNIXy goodness). Make no mistake, this is a serious gamble. It assumes that OS X is going to take off -- not necessarily in a MASSIVE, dethrone-Windows sort of way, but that it's going to be at least somewhat successful.

Still . . . I consider it "thinking different" and a hell of a lot more palatable than the idea of selling out and becoming an MCSE.

Just my two bits . . . needless to say, I'm more than a little biased. But hell, you chose to ask this question on AppleInsider.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    wagneritewagnerite Posts: 174member
    Holy sh!t, i did't even know that Apple consulting existed. alright, new option
  • Reply 3 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i have a lot of friends who are network admins. i believe one of their favorite sayings is:

"Those who can, do. Those who can't get MSCE certified."

take that as you will.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    [quote]

To that end, I got the ACTC certification and joined the Apple Consultants Network. I'm eventually going to get ACSA certification, which is a high-level certification (read: you have to know how to edit config files at the command line and other deep, UNIXy goodness). Make no mistake, [b]this is a [/QB]<hr></blockquote>

I have been waiting a long time for this topic to pop up!

I am a network admin in the KC area. I have an AA in Art and a BA in CS (I am not a programmer). I used to work for an Apple VAR/Certified "support shop" here in KC. I was an Apple Desktop Certified tech. Now I work as a network admin with 50+ Macs and a few PCs.

My Question: As OS X has evolved, I have kept a watchful eye on Apple cert's. I am very curious about the ACSA. Can you e-mail me sometime so I can ask you some questions please? I have read all the info on the 'net, but I can't find a HUMAN who has either taken the tests or who is currently in the program. I dont know much about the Apple Consultants Network...

I would love to get the ASCA too, but I have a few questions. Do you mind? I really appreciate it.

[email protected]
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I've done some Mac OS X Server administration. It was one of my personal projects. I intended to take the exams but it wasn't worth the $300 for the test. I've become a bit lax in my knowledge since I don't have to test on it.

Currently, I am working on my CCNA. I've just started to read up on Rendezvous (ZeroConf and SLP) to figure it out before I get to touch it. When it comes to Macs I am a definent geek, but I still maintain a social life between learning Mac OS X to the core and networking. Look at my Occupation in my profile to understand why this is such a big deal to me.

I have to present a project this fall to demonstrate my knowledge in Mac OS X Server Admin. I'm going to remotely administer a test server and try to do some QT Streams and network configurations, building a small network from a few of the computers. My school has one Mac lab, and if I get at least some of the equipment I would like to present with, I want the tech guys there to show them that I can do what it takes 5 of them to.

I am 16 taking CCNA courses this coming year that will finish the program and should allow me to be certified. I can install, setup, and administer a MOSX Server. Rendezvous will make network setup less trivial and SLP will allow students to automatically find printers. I'm hoping to make my presentation into a sales pitch. I'd love to get the Gateway and Dell crap out of the place.

I got a bit off topic but I encourage you to take whatever steps you can afford. Sometimes the same position will pay more if you can show them that you know your stuff, the less downtime they have the more they can afford to pay you. I also encourage you to stay away from Windows, but I'm biased massively as you can see since I'm 16 and can get ACTC certified.

Basically, know your stuff and you'll do well.

EDIT The same goes for me about getting information on ACTC and ACSA.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: macserverX ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    My personal plan is to grab an MCSE since I've already been through the classes.

next up is CCNA which helps show fundamentals of TCP/IP and beginning exp with routers.

I'm eyeing Netware because lot's of companies still use it(Mackie is one I think and that's a Dream Job for me)

Then I wouldn't mind a Unix base OSX/Solaris. I'm a late comer but I find most of this stuff dovetails onto each other.

BTW. Active Directory pretty much sucks ..have fun.