The Beatles '1+' with 50 restored 'mini movies' is exclusive to Apple's iTunes Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2015
Legendary group The Beatles launched a new digital collection of films and videos exclusively on the iTunes Store on Monday, featuring 50 completely restored and remastered presentations from the Fab Four.

The Beatles "1+" features restored videos for all 27 of the group's No. 1 U.K. and U.S. singles, as well as 23 more, including alternate versions and other rarely seen clips. The videos feature new stereo and 5.1 Dolby Digital surround audio mixes.

The video collection is priced at $26.99 for high definition and $21.99 for standard definition. It also includes iTunes Extras, such as memories from Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, and a 113-page illustrated booklet.

"These videos and films are spectacular reminders of the era we lived in," McCartney said.

The Beatles "1+" has a total run time of 2 hours and 43 minutes, and it's a 7.04-gigabyte download in 1080p high definition.

For Monday's launch, the collection of "mini movies" is only available digitally via Apple's iTunes Store.

According to the group, The Beatles "1+" is possible because of extensive research and restoration of the original promo films, classic television appearances, and other carefully selected videos spanning the band's history. Apple Corps went into its vaults to select a broad range of films and videos based on rarity, historical significance and quality of performance.

"I think it's really interesting to see the videos we made, some of them incredible and some of them really incredible," Starr said. "How else would we have got to sit on a horse?"

The collection features 35-millimeter negatives scanned in 4K and digitally restored. An 18-person team of film and video technicians and restoration artists was assembled to clean the videos frame by frame, as well as improving color grading, digital enhancement and new edits.

The new audio mixes were produced from original analog audio tapes by the Grammy winning team of Giles Martin with Sam Okell at Abbey Road Studios.

The full track listing for The Beatles "1+" follows:

1. Love Me Do 2. From Me To You 3. She Loves You 4. I Want To Hold Your Hand 5. Can't Buy Me Love 6. A Hard Day's Night 7. I Feel Fine 8. Eight Days a Week 9. Ticket To Ride 10. Help! 11. Yesterday 12. Day Tripper 13. We Can Work It Out 14. Paperback Writer 15. Yellow Submarine 16. Eleanor Rigby 17. Penny Lane 18. All You Need Is Love 19. Hello, Goodbye 20. Lady Madonna 21. Hey Jude 22. Get Back 23. The Ballad of John and Yoko 24. Something 25. Come Together 26. Let It Be 27. The Long and Winding Road 28. Twist & Shout 29. Baby It's You 30. Words Of Love 31. Please Please Me 32. I Feel Fine 33. Day Tripper * 34. Day Tripper * 35. We Can Work It Out * 36. Paperback Writer * 37. Rain * 38. Rain * 39. Strawberry Fields Forever 40. Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows 41. A Day In The Life 42. Hello, Goodbye * 43. Hello, Goodbye * 44. Hey Bulldog 45. Hey Jude * 46. Revolution 47. Get Back * 48. Don't Let Me Down 49. Free As A Bird 50. Real Love

* alternate version

Video Extras
    Paul McCartney audio commentary
    • Penny Lane
    • Hello, Goodbye
    • Hey Jude
    • Strawberry Fields Forever
    Ringo Starr filmed introductions
    • Penny Lane
    • Hello, Goodbye
    • Hey Jude
    • Get Back
    • Strawberry Fields Forever

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    While I am still a fan of what they've done and their amazing body of work, I find that I rarely listen to them anymore...

I am sure that's just me. I think it's wonderful that they're doing this.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 2 of 14
    How can I send this as a GIFT to my young nephews? I would love for them to start their collection with this release... Can I pay for it thru iTunes and they receive it as a gift?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    How can I send this as a GIFT to my young nephews? I would love for them to start their collection with this release... Can I pay for it thru iTunes and they receive it as a gift?
    When you click on the ">" on the right next to "Buy" in the iTunes Store, there's a menu that pops up with a number of options, including "Gift This ...".
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 4 of 14
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    they really need a subscription for iTunes Video content.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I find it kind of hard to believe that these old canards by the Beatles are as fresh today as they were when they were released.

Good for them and good for the next generation to enjoy.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I find it kind of hard to believe that these old canards by the Beatles are as fresh today as they were when they were released.

Great art sticks around. Gimmicks not so much. A lot of the crap being presented as art these days are just marketing gimmicks. It’s why Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, and Sinatra are still popular too. Taylor Swift not so much.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 7 of 14
    lkrupp said:

Great art sticks around. Gimmicks not so much.
    I'd agree. This was the music of my generation but I can't help but wonder how many times it can be 're-gifted' and repackaged :/
  • Reply 8 of 14
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Apple should just buy Apple. It's funny how they keep saying they are remastered, restored. How many times can these tracks get remixed, re-eq'd? They best they did many years ago when their body of work came out on CD was crank up the bass and remix them.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 9 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    lkrupp said:

I'd agree. This was the music of my generation but I can't help but wonder how many times it can be 're-gifted' and repackaged :/
    Yes I'd agree it is getting a bit much how many times this gets done.  I also find these remixes weird as the version I grew up with, of any of their songs, will always be the 'right' mix for me.  
  • Reply 10 of 14
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,300member
    All you need is love.
    jSnively
  • Reply 11 of 14
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,653member
    How is it exclusive when its available on Blu-Ray?  I have it...great set.  

(And don't bother to reply "what's Blu-Ray?")
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lkrupp said:

Yes I'd agree it is getting a bit much how many times this gets done.  I also find these remixes weird as the version I grew up with, of any of their songs, will always be the 'right' mix for me.  
    I disagree. I just bought the movie, and have watched the first and early songs. I'm impressed with the video reproduction and the quality of the recordings.

Watching these mini movies, noticing their faces and movements while they sing, and watching the audiences with such nice clarity allows me to re-visit those days and imagine what it must have been like, for example, for those who filled Shea Stadium.

Their music was clean, fresh, and original—true artists in their own right. I remember my own emotional responses to their performances and to their songs. When I listen to them again and again, time does not exist. It's just the music.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    As I got into reading the tracklist, my eyes went buggy and I started reading the song names as "The Ballad Of John And Yoko 24", "I Feel Fine 33"...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Will Beatles content eventually be on Droid like every other exclusive?