Apple releases Apple TV ad showcasing on-demand content and apps

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2015
Apple on Tuesday released a new commercial highlighting the fourth-generation Apple TV, tvOS and the dedicated tvOS App Store, with special attention paid to third-party on-demand offerings.

Titled "The Future of Television," Apple's latest Apple TV spot is a minute's worth of references and clips from popular movies, TV shows, games and other media. While Apple's tvOS appears briefly, today's ad is all about content.

As with past installments, today's ad features the Apple's take on the familiar SMPTE color bars done up in colors borrowed from the company's old rainbow logo.

Apple keeps the color bars onscreen for most of commercial's duration, changing and animating it in different ways to the beat of a lilting tune. When a particular television show or feature film shows up, Apple provides text at the bottom of the screen directing users to specific standalone apps, including iTunes, Netflix and HBO Now.

Featured shows include movies like "The Martian," TV shows like "The Muppets" and episodic dramas from Netflix. Games like Disney Infinity 3.0 and Guitar Hero get some airtime as well.

As for Apple's app assortment, Siri makes an appearance to complete a search for the best science fiction movies, a query immediately refined to "only the new ones." The tvOS app switcher also pops in for a cameo, as does the main tvOS home screen and Apple Music.

Apple has made clear its intentions to position tvOS and the supporting App Store as a platform not only for software developers, but media companies looking to break away from cable and broadcast monopolies. A report earlier today said Apple has suspended work on a long-rumored over-the-top Internet streaming service, however, suggesting tvOS might ultimately fill that niche.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Edit Heaven
  • Reply 2 of 11
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    Ah! "The Future of Television."

Suddenly the test pattern-evoking billboard ads make a lot more sense!  
  • Reply 3 of 11
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Please bring Remote app functionality back soon... I hate the touch remote. Poor ergonomics and it's too easy for up/down left/right gestures to be mixed up...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thrang said:
    Please bring Remote app functionality back soon... I hate the touch remote. Poor ergonomics and it's too easy for up/down left/right gestures to be mixed up...
    Where have you been all day? Remote app was restored when the latest TVos update was released earlier today. 
    latifbp
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I wish there was a way to watch Colbert while stuck in Finland. Seriously.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    supadav03 said:
    thrang said:
    Where have you been all day? Remote app was restored when the latest TVos update was released earlier today. 
    I haven't seen a thing about a new TVOs version...you must be talking about the developer beta? If so, I'll download and install it. I presume it works with the existing remote app. Did they add full IP control and feedback back, so installers can integrate the damn thing properly like with ATV3
  • Reply 7 of 11
    thrang said:
    supadav03 said:
    thrang said:
    I haven't seen a thing about a new TVOs version...you must be talking about the developer beta? If so, I'll download and install it. I presume it works with the existing remote app. Did they add full IP control and feedback back, so installers can integrate the damn thing properly like with ATV3
    Well, I installed tvOS 9.1 last night and it isn't a beta version.  And now my aTV shows up in the Remote app's device list.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    sambira said:
    thrang said:
    supadav03 said:
    thrang said:
    Well, I installed tvOS 9.1 last night and it isn't a beta version.  And now my aTV shows up in the Remote app's device list.

Yes, it's not a beta version. The update was pused out around the same time as iOS 9.2 and El Cap update. In related news, it seems Apple is also working on an new and improved remote app which should be out next year. This was a quote from Eddy Cue

“We’re working on a new Apple TV remote app that will give you the full functionality of the Siri Remote on your iPhone,” Cue said. “We’re hoping to ship that in the first half of next year.”
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I really hoped for that over-the-top Internet streaming service. Wondering if that's ever going to happen now.

Edit: Ah, Bloomberg says they've suspended this initiative in lieu of allowing companies to sell directly to AppleTV owners. Thanks. AI. http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/12/08/apples-over-the-top-television-service-put-on-hold-says-les-moonves
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 10 of 11
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    awesome ad. i wonder if the critics of the test-pattern-bars billboards will still complain about it?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    supadav03 said:
    thrang said:
    He just proves my point I made in another thread. The AppleTV remote needs to be redesigned soon. Users shouldn't be searching for a different remote than the one it came with.

and why do you have Chibi Robo as your avatar??