MS Surface tablet user contemplating buying an Ipad Pro

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2015

Hello,

Earlier this year I bought a refurbished Surface 2 tablet.  The tablet was priced $250 which was an excellent buy.  I am happy with RT 8.1 OS especially tiles and live tiles.  Size is nice albeit wishing for a larger screen. Split screen is excellent and is a "must have" feature.  Office was free on this device.  All these points made the Surface2 a great buy, or so I thought.

Now, Microsoft decided to not upgrade the OS for older Surfaces.  That means any future software developed in the MS Store will probably not work on my tablet.  I notice that my tablet was not working properly.  I exchanged it after MS could not figure the issue.  Now, having issues with the exchanged model. 

MS has deals to exchange my tablet for $200 credit towards Surface Pro4. hmmm.  Perhaps it is time for me to explore other options?

I am/was looking the Air2 64 gig as an option until I saw the Pro model.  I love the size as I like more screen size for split screens and web browsing.  Speed is excellent.   Purchase of an IPAD Pro is a big decision.  It is $400 more than Air 2.  For this type of price, I want this product to be relevant and usable 4 years from now.

I want to use the tablet for reading, web browsing, email, watching movies, games, light word and excel features.  Plus, all the numerous other things in the app store for now as well as the future.

Question.

What is the confidence level that Apple's pro's roadmap is part of the future's vision?

Will pricing be stable or will it drop / rise dependent on interest or sales?

Do you personally believe the Pro is a good buy?  If so, why.

I thank you in advance for any valuable, constructive input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    What is the confidence level that Apple’s pro’s roadmap is part of the future's vision?
    A billon percent? They did just release it, after all. iOS in its current form seems to limit the things of which the device is capable, so I’d stay tuned for a redo of the UI/UX to take advantage of the screen.
    After five going on six years of identical iPad pricing, I’d bet the iPad Pro will stay where it is. Then again, I think it ought to become the primary iPad, so I’m not in the majority.
    Do you personally believe the Pro is a good buy?
    It’s the device I always wanted Apple’s tablet to be, but it’s currently limited by its software.

Not to say that iOS isn’t robust, just that it’s wasted on a 13” screen.
    niroc
  • Reply 2 of 2
    What is the confidence level that Apple’s pro’s roadmap is part of the future's vision?
    A billon percent? They did just release it, after all. iOS in its current form seems to limit the things of which the device is capable, so I’d stay tuned for a redo of the UI/UX to take advantage of the screen.
    After five going on six years of identical iPad pricing, I’d bet the iPad Pro will stay where it is. Then again, I think it ought to become the primary iPad, so I’m not in the majority.
    Do you personally believe the Pro is a good buy?
    It’s the device I always wanted Apple’s tablet to be, but it’s currently limited by its software.

Not to say that iOS isn’t robust, just that it’s wasted on a 13” screen.

Thank you for the feedback.  I take purchases seriously like this so I am not bothered by buyer's remorse.   

I am somewhat surprised Costco is never mentioned as a buying alternative.  Their price is $900 for the 128 gig version.  They have a wonderful return policy and will give you the difference if the price drops in 30 days.