Mercedes confirms Apple's CarPlay headed to select models for 2016

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple fans who prefer a side of German luxury with their smartphones can now choose a new Mercedes-Benz with CarPlay support, as the marque verified plans to bring Apple's infotainment offering to a few of its high- and mid-range vehicles for the 2016 model year.

CarPlay will be available in select CLA, CLS, GLA, GLE, E-Class, and B-Class models produced after December 1. The revelation was made in an internal memo to Mercedes dealers, first noted by the C450 AMG blog.

Buyers of the B-Class, CLA, or GLA models can purchase CarPlay as a standalone $350 option, or as part of a newly enhanced multimedia package. Those in line for most E-Class, CLS, or GLE models may pay up to $4,080 for in-dash packages that include CarPlay along with Mercedes's own COMAND Navigation.

Buyers of the CLS550, CLS63 S, GLE 400, GLE450, GLE63, and GLE63 S will receive it as standard.

Mercedes will not support wireless CarPlay at launch, with consumers required to plug their iPhone into a specially-designated socket in the dashboard. The carmaker also cautions dealers that CarPlay cannot be used simultaneously with COMAND Navigation -- customers will be forced to choose between Spotify and COMAND, for instance.

CarPlay comes to Mercedes just days after European competitor Volvo launched support in the US.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Great. Now I can buy my Mercedes 
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I wonder why it is only available on select models?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Amazing how poorly a company like Mercedes has intgrated the screens on many of its vehicles, like an afterthought. It literally looks like somebody velcroed a tablet to the dashboard.
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 15
    has anyone here used CarPlay?  I've been waiting to get a car that has it but wondered how well it actually works?  I rented cars with Microsoft Sync, they always start playing music every time I plug the phone in (or even turn up the volume when listening to a different audio source or even when it's just on to hear the turn by turn navigation) and normally starts with the exact same song, which is the first song alphabetically in my music library.  It drives me nuts.

I expect CarPlay to work better than this.
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 15
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    And what happened to CarPlay support in the C300?
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mike1 said:
    Amazing how poorly a company like Mercedes has intgrated the screens on many of its vehicles, like an afterthought. It literally looks like somebody velcroed a tablet to the dashboard.
    Is that really what it'll look like?  Wow, I assumed that was just a crude mockup of an iPad Mini in front of the dash.  If that's real... yuck.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    mike1 said:
    Is that really what it'll look like?  Wow, I assumed that was just a crude mockup of an iPad Mini in front of the dash.  If that's real... yuck.
    Yes it does look this bad. It is one of the reasons I did bought a BMW rather than a Mercedes. Mind you, BMW's version, whilst looking more stylish, still looks a bit odd. You get used to it. 
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mike1 said:
    I actually like it. I would want it set high on the dash closer to my line of sight.  If you tried to blend it into the dash at such a high level, you would only succeed in making the dashboard more hefty and encroaching upon the occupants' space. To me it seems better than mounted lower or recessed.  

Unless it actually is mounted with Velcro, then we are in complete agreement!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    alandail said:
    has anyone here used CarPlay?  I've been waiting to get a car that has it but wondered how well it actually works?  I rented cars with Microsoft Sync, they always start playing music every time I plug the phone in (or even turn up the volume when listening to a different audio source or even when it's just on to hear the turn by turn navigation) and normally starts with the exact same song, which is the first song alphabetically in my music library.  It drives me nuts.

I expect CarPlay to work better than this.
    I have CarPlay in a couple of cars. I've reviewed it here on AppleInsider. When you plug in the phone, it changes the display on the dash from whatever the radio mfr has provided to an icon-based home screen of CarPlay. Music does not auto-play on connecting the iPhone. In short, CarPlay works better than you describe.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    mike1 said:
    I actually like it. I would want it set high on the dash closer to my line of sight.  If you tried to blend it into the dash at such a high level, you would only succeed in making the dashboard more hefty and encroaching upon the occupants' space. To me it seems better than mounted lower or recessed.  

No, it's about way the design and integrate the screen, also those 3 vent holes...wtf? BMW implementation is a lot better with the same elevation.

edited December 2015
  • Reply 11 of 15
    fallenjt said:
    mike1 said:

No, it's about way the design and integrate the screen, also those 3 vent holes...wtf? BMW implementation is a lot better with the same elevation.

Personally, I think Volvo's implementation of CarPlay in the XC90 and upcoming S90 is much better.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I am a big fan of Apple, but I do not like how you have to have your iPhone plugged in to use CarPlay. It is like taking a step back in technology. I own a car shipping company and I need technology to step forward not back. Sometimes truckers need to use their phones (not while they are driving) for GPS purposes and when there are two drivers in the hauler (this is more common than you think) having the phone plugged in using USB makes for things to be cluttered and not efficient. I do not know why we cannot just have the freedom of having CarPlay AND bluetooth. Doesn't seem too much to ask. Am I right?
    edited December 2015 gj00101
  • Reply 13 of 15
    So what about the folks that already bought a 2016 GLE450, like me, that now do not have the standard feature. Are they going to retrofit these vehicles? I would have waited to buy if I knew this standard feature would be available.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Tried car Play in a rental car and its very clunky and not user friendly. 2 really annoying things: You have to connect to the USB port via a cable (or equivalent other port in a Mercedes). It replaces whatever you have on your screen with the Apple app icons and switching to the radio is not easy, without disconnecting. You can't use some apps on your phone at the same time as your car sat nav for example. The new BMW 5 series in February 2017 will be the first real wireless Car Play vehicle, with a split screen to overcome this.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 15 of 15
    JuanFJuanF Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Sorry to bring this up again... I live in Colombia, South America, I own an A200 Mercedes Benz, which apparently should have Carply integrated, in fact I have the button to activate it in my steering wheel. But it is not.

I have said that for LATAM is not available, because something related to the maps, although maps are not the only function I will be using... does anyone knows how to make it work?