Apple enhances classical music browsing in Apple Music with iTunes update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2015
Apple on Friday released a minor update for the OS X version of iTunes, adding enhanced classical music listening options for the company's streaming Apple Music service that bring it in line with Music on iOS.

According to the release notes, iTunes version 12.3.2 lets Mac owners running OS X 10.11 El Capitan browse the classical music Apple Music category by work, composer and performer.

The update also comes with the usual assortment of unnamed bug fixes and performance improvements.

Today's changes brings iTunes in line with the latest version of Music on iOS, which was released on Tuesday as part of Apple's iOS 9.2 update. Music in iOS 9.2 was likewise updated to incorporate features previously seen on Mac, such as improved iCloud Music Library track handling.

Mac users can download iTunes version 12.3.2 via the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Classical music is what got my 16 year old daughter hooked on Apple Music. Pop songs she got on You Tube, but once she realized that Apple Music gave her a large library of classical performances, she was hooked. (She's an aspiring musician and listens to recordings of pieces she intends to perform.)
    pianophilechadbagtallest skilmhiklaaronjlostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Classical music is what got my 16 year old daughter hooked on Apple Music. Pop songs she got on You Tube, but once she realized that Apple Music gave her a large library of classical performances, she was hooked. (She's an aspiring musician and listens to recordings of pieces she intends to perform.)

Thats great that your daughter is into classical music. My daughter played an instrument for a few years in her orchestra at school but lost interest. She had an ear for it too.  I wish she would have stuck with it even if she would have liked to play a different instrument just to be able to read music if nothing else.  
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Can someone explain how/where to use this feature in iOS Apple Music?

I've looked at the same screen of Apple Music's Classical section on two phones: one running iOS 9.1, the other iOS 9.2. The only difference I could see was new annotations under some tracks (artist, etc.). Is that all this is -- the new annotations -- or is there an actual way to BROWSE by these new fields that I'm missing?

Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    New iTunes update has insane flickering screen issue. It flickers so badly I have to keep it minimized. I seriously think it could give you a seizure. I already uninstalled iTunes once and re-downloaded and installed iTunes but the same issue persists. Is anyone else having this problem?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    My iTunes is freezing and unusable after the update.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    samo
    I have so many problems with iTune through the years, hours (countless) I moved it off my hd to a separate external. And yet the problems continue to mound.
    Now I am backing up on the first and third week and am going to clear out my music and begin adding back what I want to listen to for the month.
    I am converting all my music to AAC as I come upon the crazy duplicates (nightmare-some of which are duplicates, others just ghosts, move one and both are gone). And it sure saves space.
    My video I will add as I need a movie or other vid on my iPad. Otherwise, I can watch what I want from QTP or add individually to iT to play on my Gen3 Atv.
    The idea that I could have all my AV at my finger tips on iTunes is an impossible nightmare. The duplications and lost media have been disheartening, to say the least.
    I suspect my library is just too large for iTunes to work properly.
    And the guys at the Apple Store tried, but it remains a conundrum.
    Namaste and care,
    mhikl
  • Reply 7 of 9
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    person said:
    New iTunes update has insane flickering screen issue. It flickers so badly I have to keep it minimized. I seriously think it could give you a seizure. I already uninstalled iTunes once and re-downloaded and installed iTunes but the same issue persists. Is anyone else having this problem?
    I haven't had any such problem.  What is the hardware you're using?  I'm on a Late-2012 iMac (3.2 GHz i5, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB).  
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I have noticed one improvement. At the iTunes store I was able to purchase all movements of one symphony as a whole from an album. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Wow. I just saw this now.